Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Homemade E Bass

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Homemade E Bass

Hi All,
    I got pretty tired of my KD-7. I never could get used to the inverted beater. My pedal's feel was just wrong. So i deciced to try my hand at building my own. I made it from scratch. Check out these pics and let me know what you think. http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/antogt/ls...=/Drum&.view=t

"Error Message!

You have reached a restricted area. "

hmmm....

------------------
    http://mpcman.flappie.nl
    Music was my first love...

Comment

OOOOPs! I forgot to allow other users to view photos.
      it should work now.

Comment

Looks pretty good. What material did you use for the impact surface? How does it feel? How does it compare to the kd-80? What was your cost to build?
        V-Custom w Roland TD-8 and and Alesis DM5, DIY edrums

Comment

...and what is under that velour fabric? Looks like an elephant's trunk!!!
          Steve

'I only ever quote myself - except when I quote someone else' - me

, plenty of , and , , triggered acoustics, , and a plethora of PA blah blah freakin blah...I mean does anyone care about the specifics of pedals, speakers, processors, hardware or anything that I'm using?? :confused: Hmmm, maybe this is an appropriate place to mention that I tried out a new cymbal stand the other day...

Comment

The striking surface is made from a PVC toilet flange. I got the kind that has a test cap molded in place. this provided a 2 in detent right im the middle. I filled the detent with silicone then insert the piezo directly into the Goo.After the silcone skinned over i then stretched the leather over the flange. As far as the feel , I only have two points of reference. The Kd 7 and a real bass drum. It has a much better feel to me than the Kd-7. Its a little softer and I never could get used to the physics of the inverted beater so this feels much better.
            It doesnt seem much different to than an acoustic bass with a very taught head.
            The rest of the unit is constucted from Pvc, plywood, leather swatches, wire, staples etc..
            Believe it or not , it only cost me about 15 dollars!
            It probaly would have cost more but a friend of mine in the uppholstery business gave me the leather for free! The suede isnt really necessary though. I just didnt want it to look like plumbing.
            I didnt want it to look like an elephants trunk either but I had no way of knowing that when I started. My guitarist helped me cover it and every time he sees it he busts out laughing! I have to admit it does look a little humorous.

Comment

I don't know how it feels and responds but my cat wants to use it for a scratching post...
              (Chrome Hart BX Kit, TD 8 Module, All Roland Cymbals, Electrovoice SXA 250 Powered Monitor, Yamaha 10/2 Mixer, Alesis Pico Verb, BBE 482i Sonic Maximizer, Samson S-Phone Headphone Amp/Mixer), V Club Kit, Boss BR-8 Digital Recorder, Sony 7509 Headphones, Roc & Soc's
              Charcoal Gray Metallic GMS Kit, Turquoise Sparkle Slingerland Kit. Many Zildjians...
              DRUMS - WOOHOO! I'm SILLY!

Comment

Hey Drumkit
                Its funny that you made that reference.
                When I was takin the pics I had it sitting on the floor and my cat lurked up on it. I actually have a picture where my cats head just pops into the frame. I should post that pic too. Fortunatley my cat is declawed so my EBass is safe.

Comment

Stradiwhovius,

lovely cat!!!
                  it looks like my cat ~~~~
                  lets see!! http://www.geocities.com/drummercat2001/cat.html

Originally posted by Stradiwhovius:
                  Hey Drumkit
                  Its funny that you made that reference.
                  When I was takin the pics I had it sitting on the floor and my cat lurked up on it. I actually have a picture where my cats head just pops into the frame. I should post that pic too. Fortunatley my cat is declawed so my EBass is safe.

Comment

looks like mummenschanz
                    -i can levitate birds and no one cares-----------V-CONCERT,CY12H-CY15R/SPD-20-XP-60 V-STUDIO 1824CD,DAUZ PADS,NO RYTHYM AND MISC.CRAP 9"HART SPLASH/AKAI S5000/ASSLOAD OF SAMPLES

Comment

... or a cruise ship vent designed by claus oldenburg.

Comment

Originally posted by Steveo the Devo:
                        Naaaa looks like one of those do dads the Chili Peppers put on their shlongs when doing gigs......like we really want to see them naked

------------------
                        ~REDMAN~
                        ~REDMAN~

Comment

You guys are Crakin me up!
                          Holy Crap , I forgot all about the mumenshanz.
                          When i built it , I was just tryin to improve my playing, I had no idea it provide for so much laughter. I cant even look at myself without chuckling just a little bit.
                          Thank you all!

[This message has been edited by Stradiwhovius (edited February 08, 2002).]

Comment

Originally posted by c. jude:
                            Originally posted by Steveo the Devo:
                            I used to hear that all the time in the '80's.

You used to wear velour........ah ha
                            ~REDMAN~

Comment

Working...
                            X