Announcement

Collapse

Lounge Posting Guidelines

E-DRUMMING DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST PRODUCT OR TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

which headphones to buy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• which headphones to buy?

I'm looking for some advice on buying a quality pair of headphones to use with my Studio set. Is open or closed design better? Anyone have a great site for shopping/ordering? I've been looking on Sam Ash and there's just about everything imaginable...

Any help would be appreciated.

I bought a pair of Panasonic RPHT355 headphones. The recieved very high reviews for being inexpensive ($28 I think) They are very comfortable and DO NOT have a coiled cord that many sets have. The cord is 18 ft long which is another plus. I have been very pleased with my purchase

------------------
    The Captain

[This message has been edited by captainbk (edited February 04, 2002).]

[This message has been edited by captainbk (edited February 04, 2002).]
    The Captain

Comment

I use Sennheiser HD25 headphones. I bought these specifically to use with my VDrums (to replace my aging AKG 240's). These are closed headphones. They block out a lot of outside noise which is what I prefer when using them with my VDrums.

I liked these so much that I bought another pair for myself just for listening to music and other pair for my brother for his studio guitar work.

They are on the expensive side (about $250.00) You can probably find them cheaper nowadays. I bought mine over a year ago.

Well worth the money.

Comment

Another vote for the Sony MDR 7506 great for the money!

Mike
        ATV aDrums, ATV aD5, eDRUMin, Presonus Quantum 2, SD3

Comment

Agreed, I've been using the Sony 7506's for years and they're efficient, full-ranged, comfortable and offer decent isolation.

And... they're fairly cheap - the best $100 you can spend.

Comment

Thanks all - I'll think I'll go with the Sony's...

Comment

anyone looking for good in-ear monitors/phones should definitely check out etymotic research. i just got a pair and they are amazing. over 24db of isolation!

Comment

I agree with y'all. Go with the Sony's. Good value for money IMHO.
                Steve

'I only ever quote myself - except when I quote someone else' - me

, plenty of , and , , triggered acoustics, , and a plethora of PA blah blah freakin blah...I mean does anyone care about the specifics of pedals, speakers, processors, hardware or anything that I'm using?? :confused: Hmmm, maybe this is an appropriate place to mention that I tried out a new cymbal stand the other day...

Comment

Bermuda, do you use the Sony's for tracking, too? I like the sound they give, but never got them because I didn't think they'd provide good isolation. For tracking, I have a set of DC aviation headphones (the bulbous ones) that I grafted JVC internals into. They provide monster isolation, but the sound is less than good... I'd like to find a better-sounding alternative for tracking headphones.

Thanks,
                  -Danny
                  -Danny

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Comment

I bought a pair of AKG-240's about a year ago and I love 'em. They bring out the highs so cymbals sound wonderful. They were about $90 at Sam Ash.

If headphones are your sole listening source, it's worth it to spend the extra bucks.

DJ

Comment

I don't necessarily use them in the studio, as I don't really need much isolation. But I used to use them live, and yes, there was more bleed than I preferred. I eventually switched to the GK Music Superphones, which have been fabulous for live playing. they'rte basically hunting ear protection with Sony V6 or 600 drivers, and I think they now use the 7506 drivers.

I keep the Sony's as backup on the road, and have a few pair at home for the V-Drums and stereo.

Bermuda

[This message has been edited by bermuda (edited February 06, 2002).]

Comment

Originally posted by bermuda:
                        I eventually switched to the GK Music Superphones, which have been fabulous for live playing. they'rte basically hunting ear protection with Sony V6 or 600 drivers, and I think they now use the 7506 drivers.
                        Thanks for the reply! I kinda suspected that the 7506's might bleed a bit too much. With my current live and studio setup, I'm playing the V-Drums with acoustic cymbals, which makes for fairly unique isolation/monitoring needs.

I use the small Sony MDR-EX70 Anniversary Fontopia earphones live, which have silicone "ear plugs" that provide pretty good isolation with acceptable frequency response, but I still use my Frankenstein 'cans for recording. I'll have to check into a set of the GK phones.

-Danny
                        -Danny

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Comment

I have the Sony MDr_V700 series and just love em....I think I paid $130 for em....SG
                          Roland V-Pro TD20 expanded with V Expressions
                          Presonus Firepod
                          Reaper
                          Acoustic- Spaun drums, Dunnett snare & Paiste Signature Series Cymbals.

Comment

Originally posted by artboss:
                            I'm looking for some advice on buying a quality pair of headphones to use with my Studio set. Is open or closed design better? Anyone have a great site for shopping/ordering? I've been looking on Sam Ash and there's just about everything imaginable...

Any help would be appreciated.
                            I see that other people have recommended Sony. I haven't tried their current headphones (although I might), but I can speak to the durability of their products. As I type this, I'm listening to a CD on my Sony MDR-V4 headphones (look similar to the 7506s), purchased for $100CDN in.... 1987!!!! These things are almost fifteen years old! They've been treated roughly too, folded and stuffed into knapsacks, taken into various workplaces, lent to people, etc..... they look like they've been through the wars, but they still work perfectly. Talk about getting your money's worth!

I also bought a pair of AKG 240s for my Dad, for significantly more money than the Sonys. Dad certainly didn't abuse them in any way, but the phones were dead within five years anyway. Very disappointing.

My 2 cents,
                            Darren

Comment

I have the $90.00 Sony V6 and $170.00 7609. I prefer the V6 for the VDrums. This has been discussed in old posts. My V6 is also some 10+ yrs old. Beat to death, the thin coating has peeled off down to the fabric on the earcups but they work flawlessly and produce a clean sound. They are very light weight and comfortable and let in not much, but just enough, ambient sound to make me a happy camper.
                              Kit Pic 1 Kit Pic 2 Kit Pic 3... And FOR SALE I have: 3 PD-9's, MDS-10 purple rack w/cables/pad and cym mounts. See classified posts for details or PM me.

Comment

Working...
                              X