Announcement

Collapse

Lounge Posting Guidelines

E-DRUMMING DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST PRODUCT OR TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

New Roland products

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Roland products

Well, Roland has the NAMM press release up, and I must say, I'm seriously underwhelmed. The V-Session is now available in 3 colours (red, purple and white), there's a drum-to-midi interface called the TMC-6 (6 trigger inputs), and a practice pad called the RMP-1 Rhythm Coach, which is an 8" mesh head pad and an external sound module.
    Hmm, not very exciting, is it? http://www.rolandus.com/PRODUCTS/PRODUCTS.HTM

Stu
    "Fry that sound effect, Moriarty, we're having it for breakfast"

Originally posted by mcconaghy:
    Hmm, not very exciting, is it?
    Well... it all depends on the price

An affordable v-cymbal with 3 zones would be nice. At least if they've fixed the bell triggering.

Rob

Comment

The TMC-6 descripiton has an interesting item:

*Supports separate head/rim shot triggering of PD-120/80R V-Pads™

So I can take my PD-120 that I use as a floor tom and hook it up into this device -- instead of using the TD-10 input -- and be able to trigger the rim?

Wait...could I do more? ... I can buy all PD-80R pads for toms 1 - 3 and have them trigger both rim and head?

Then I can use the tom inputs on the TD-10 for extra percussion, cymbals...

It also states that it supports the triple-zone function of the CY15 -- or the new (hopefully inexpensive [who am I kidding?]) crash-ride -- so I can just hook the cymbal up to this without sending my TD-10exp for an upgrade?

The mind reels.

Though, why only six additional inputs? Why not 8, 10,or 12? Would that have been so costly?

First impressions. I'll be interested to see the price, too.

DJ

Comment

Originally posted by DJourg:
        ...Though, why only six additional inputs? Why not 8, 10,or 12?
        I wondered the same thing. My set has both brains maxed out, so this thing would not have helped. Especially since, on every FSR/Piezo input that I have a dual-zone connected, I have different sounds assigned.

And THAT is the 64 million dollar question. Does that unit permit dual-piezo triggers? Otherwise you can 4-get about them PD-80R/120's.

[This message has been edited by Marc. (edited January 17, 2002).]

Comment

Both that souped-up practice pad and the TMC-1 strike me as half-assed, throwing crumbs to the starving masses. If Roland wanted to, they could have given the TMC-1 12 dual-trigger inputs. 6, and I have the impression that they are single-trigger inputs, is a complete joke. Come on, Roland, what planet are you from?

Stu

Comment

Both that souped-up practice pad and the TMC-1 strike me as half-assed, throwing crumbs to the starving masses. If Roland wanted to, they could have given the TMC-1 12 dual-trigger inputs. 6, and I have the impression that they are single-trigger inputs, is a complete joke. Come on, Roland, what planet are you from?

Stu
            From the Roland Press Release:

The TMC-6 supports separate head and rim shot triggering when used with the PD-120 and PD-80R V-Pads, and three-way triggering of CY-15R and CY-12R/C V-Cymbals.
            Therefore, the inputs are SWITCHABLE, I deem, supporting both Piezo/Piezo (for PD-120s) and Piezo/FSR (for V-Cymbals),....... unless Piezo/Piezo operation (ie PD-120 with head and rim sounds) requires two inputs???? Those sneaky bastards.....!

Comment

Well, Roland has the NAMM press release up, and I must say, I'm seriously underwhelmed. The V-Session is now available in 3 colours (red, purple and white), there's a drum-to-midi interface called the TMC-6 (6 trigger inputs), Hmm, not very exciting, is it?

Stu
              Well, these products didn't take too much effort on Roland's part, that's for sure.... the new V-sessions are just some repackaging of stuff they already had in the parts bin. All that being said, they did exactly what I wanted them to do. I WANTED a purple V-session, and I WANTED a cheap (I hope?) trigger-to-midi converter so that I didn't have to sell my soul to master the dark arts of "shacking" and "grailing".

Is it just me or does Roland's "purple" V-session look rather Blue-ish in the photo?

Darren

Comment

That just gives us little red people more time to release the ddrum5. Lookout Roland!

Erik
                SEPdrums

Comment

Originally posted by feefer:
                  Hi all,

Might be very cool, if the $$ is right.
                  Hahahaha! $$ right and roland? I don't think so! I bet this thing is at least 300$ if not much more.

It would be nice product, but Roland will overprice it AS USUAL!

Wasn't expecting any innovative things anyway... Bummer

Comment

I'm curious what kind of data the is sent out via midi when using an FD-7. Would different positions trigger different midi notes? Would it send out an assignable midi CC? If so it would mean I could use and FD-7 with my ddrum4 instead of having no space left for a whole hihat stand.

------------------
                    http://mpcman.flappie.nl
                    Music was my first love...

Comment

Too bad they don't have a rack mountable version of the TMC-6.
                      Roland TD-20 v1.08, various v-drums and v-cymbals, Yamaha KP65's, Axis pedals, Gibraltar hardware, Mackie 1202/SRM450 (pre-china)

Comment

Originally posted by feefer:
                        I can't imagine needing all six inputs with dual-piezo capability
                        It would have been nice if they had released two versions; one with single-piezo triggers, and this one. If you want to add percussion sounds to your kit or some splashes, you don't really need dual-piezo. And I can imagine that making such converter is cheaper.

Ah well, we'll see.

Comment

is it me or is the purple v-session actually blue? Minor point....but if it is actually purple surely its just the v-pro with the TDW-1 and V-Cymbals!

Comment

No Midi IN????? Is that true?! Oh man... why????

Comment

Originally posted by Louis:
                              No Midi IN????? Is that true?! Oh man... why????

That's what I mean with half-assed. Why does Roland even bother to make a product which according to it's technical specs is outdated by close to 15 years? An interface of this kind without a MIDI in is so baldy planned, it's not funny.
                              If you look at everything Roland introduced at NAMM, you can tell where their priorities lie, and electronic drums are extremely low on their list.

Stu

Comment

Working...
                              X