Announcement

Collapse

Lounge Posting Guidelines

E-DRUMMING DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST PRODUCT OR TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

check this out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• check this out

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI...tem=1507142150
    Drumkat Turbo 4.5, Emulator X3, Superior 2.1, Roland Fantom XR, DTXtreme III, SPD-20 etc.......

Originally posted by Harlock:
    Which makes we wonder ...
    Harlock, now YOU make me wonder ... -

I always thought people did DIY's to AVOID Roland.

Comment

Hi All,
      Iíve been reading the posts on this site for quite a while, and you folks have given me a lot of great information! I just want to say thanks, and I decided to register and post this today because I see you noticed my ad on Ebay for the green sparkle drum (yes, I got the DIY idea from Btnkbndt!) This drum started out as a piccolo snare project that I never finished (thatís why it has top and bottom heads) then when I saw that the mesh heads were available separately, I built the e-drum out of it. The only Roland part on it is the mesh head. I really did only use it on my Alesis DM-5 for home practice. I currently play in a part time(twice a month) band and I use a set of V Drums w/TD10-exp. at my bandís rehearsal space, but they are owned by the guitar player (he plays drums, too). I have used the information on this site many times to find answers to my V-drum questions, and have never needed to post because of the great search function! Anyway, just wanted to say hello and thanks from Mike!
      TD-20K with TDW-20, SPD-S
      Custom AtoE DIY with Expanded TD-10 / TD-8
      Handsonic HPD-10
      Gretsch Catalina Maple A-drums / A. Zildjian cymbals

Comment

Originally posted by mike529:
        ... I have used the information on this site many times to find answers to my V-drum questions, and have never needed to post because of the great search function!....

!!! !!! Holly sheep shiit!

Dude....you donít even know how proud Marc is right now from your first post. You will get the newbie first post award for sure.

------------------
        Outboard gear: Focusrite Compounder, Drawmer MX-30, BBE-482, Aphex C-104, Behringer T1951 4-Band Parametric Tube EQ, Lexicon MPX1, Mackie 1402-VLZ, (Crown K2 amp & Cerwin Vega V-253 speakers = 1600 watts @ 4 ohms continues power, peak at 3000 watts) and Sony MDR-V700DJ headphones.
        Studio

Comment

I'm not sure about the shell material/waveform thing, but the MD article awhile back said that Bobby Hewitt (Orgy) had Tama make him some custom-finished fiberglass shells, which then had the PD-100/PD-120 guts installed. That's what he uses, along with Triggerheads. Seems like stuff's really just dependent on the vibrations being transmitted accurately to the piezos.

Of course, I'm not an engineer... okay, a computer engineer, but that doesn't count!

-Danny
          -Danny

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Comment

I have been toying around with making some custom electronic drums out of Kellers... I want them to be both electronic and acoustic, so that is why I am choosing maple... I know this is not a new idea...just sometihg fun to fart with....maybe I can even sell some...
            www.drummaker.com has some nice pieces and parts, which I am shure you all know about already.

Erik
            SEPdrums

Comment

Originally posted by Harlock:
              Just a thought, but 100 different finishes could be nice!

Post your preferences (I'll start!) :
              Red Sparkle
              Natural Maple
              Green Sparkle
              Sapphire (like my Premier Signia)
              See the threads on this forum regarding the use of con-tact paper (?) to refinish the drums. A couple of people posted pictures of their newly maple finished v-drums that looked unbelievable! You can have any colour v-drums you want!!

Comment

QUOTE:Finesse playing? Buzz rolls at the rim? Unlikely. The whole challenge is getting a pad to do it as well as the PD's.

That's odd. If you're right, I guess the maple shell acoustic conversion kit I play really doesn't work as well as I thought it does.

The fact is that the head and it's ability to accurately transfer vibrations to the trigger piezo is the ultimate factor. Head construction and diameter coupled with whatever transfer medium lies underneath is what really matters to get the smooth and accurate results you speak of. The weight and density of the shell are more of a factor in getting accurate rim triggering on the snare. Isolation of the head piezo from the shell is also a factor.

Fact is, for a few bucks you can convert any acoustic set out there to work better than the Roland PD's with readily available components from the local music, hardware and electronics stores. I say better because my conversions have the "finesse", but also deliver a wider more realistic dynamic range than the PD's with no hot spot. Sound impossible? I assure you it is not.

How about buzz rolls anywhere on the head? Why limit it to just near the rim? My converted snare does. And should I mention the rim trigger works flawlessly? It does.

The bigger the head gets in diameter, the floppier it gets. So, there really is an optimum diameter limitation to getting the "finesse" aspects delivered from the head to the piezo. This is why Roland has the 8", 10" and 12" pad sizes. Also, many of you are already familiar with the desirability of 2 ply heads. The stiffer heads are just better at getting the vibrations to the piezo than the thinner ones. My experience is that you can get the finesse with a 12" or 13" snare. Beyond that, it gets tougher. Toms and bass can go bigger for their intended purposes, but you'll never be able to plug your 16" tom in the snare input and get the tracking you do from a 12" or 13" pad. A full size bass will track just as fast as you can hit it with a single or double pedal with no sweat.

Anyway, though I obviously am not able to prove this to anyone unless you come to my house and try my drums for yourself, believe it or don't. It is true. There are plenty of ideas out there for you to pick up on and experiment with just as I did If you have the time and interest to do so.

Best wishes.

Comment

Well, the drum that started this thread didn't sell, so I am going to keep it and I may take it to my rehearsal space where I can test it on a TD10.

After reading Stickler's reply, I want to compare the triggering sensitivity and positional sensing of my DIY drum compared to a PD120. Like I said in a previous post,using it with the Alesis DM5 works fine, but we'll see how it works with the added features of the TD10 module.

Anyone else ever tried this test before with a Btnkbndt-type DIY pad and the aforementioned 2 modules?

I know, big difference in features and price (you get what you pay for)!
                  TD-20K with TDW-20, SPD-S
                  Custom AtoE DIY with Expanded TD-10 / TD-8
                  Handsonic HPD-10
                  Gretsch Catalina Maple A-drums / A. Zildjian cymbals

Comment

I remember reading in MD that Remo drums trigger really well because the shells are so dense, as compared to maple or birch. It seems to me more than a coincidence that Vdrum pads are made from Acousticon as well.

[This message has been edited by jrcel (edited February 02, 2002).]
                    Drumkat Turbo 4.5, Emulator X3, Superior 2.1, Roland Fantom XR, DTXtreme III, SPD-20 etc.......

Comment

Working...
                    X