Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

No news today ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No news today ...

NAMM 2002: no new Roland module, no new ddrum module, no new Alesis module. Things dry up a bit. Or did we already reach the limit in e-drum technology?

(for instance: pumping up the sensitivity more will lead to false triggers when the audience clap their hands and how can sounds be sampled better than CD quality, which we already have)
    Robert

No way we have reached the limit in e-drum land!

The things I think there are still lots of progress in to be achieved:

Uninnovative things:
    • Stereo samples.
    • Room and close miked samples.
    • More velocity samples.
    • Crossfaded samples so you don't hear you're going from 1 sample to another.
    • Seperate samples for different places on a drum/cymbal.

More innovative things:
    • Different kinds of miking modelled. (like digital guitaramps have such as the yamaha stomp ag)
    • Drums/cymbals modelled. By which I mean the module has a model of a drum which you can alter as you please. Changing the thickness of the head, changing the wood of which the drum is made, etc. Because this is probably way too processordemanding, maybe they can make software that can do this and can make samples out of it so you can load them.
    • More control. Eg, I can choose how the sound must vary when hitting on a different position. Like near the rim the pitch of the sound gets higher and in the middle it's normal. Something like the old Simmons. Anyway more control so you can get creative and do things that been done before.
    • Good interface, so you can hook it up to a computer and have a neat graphical program by which you can control everything. (like this kind of mike on this drum, this drum panned right here, so much room reverb and a reverb of this kind, etc)
    • An online community (like the new Line 6 Guitarport) where you can easily share settings, tips, recording tips. Where there are playalong drumless mp3's, lessons, etc.

Well that are some of the things that I can think of...

[This message has been edited by @oM (edited January 22, 2002).]

Comment

Originally posted by puttenvr:
      NAMM 2002: no new Roland module, no new ddrum module, no new Alesis module. Things dry up a bit. Or did we already reach the limit in e-drum technology?
      The last I heard, the economy still stinks. I wouldn't be rushing to market with something that innovative only to see lackluster sales. Let's face it, the Ddrum5 or TD-12 will most likely cost more, not less. Besides, in Roland's case, I don't think they have milked us of every dollar on the current models.
      Kit Pic 1 Kit Pic 2 Kit Pic 3... And FOR SALE I have: 3 PD-9's, MDS-10 purple rack w/cables/pad and cym mounts. See classified posts for details or PM me.

Comment

I just want my ddrum module to return from the repairement and work forever....

------------------
        http://mpcman.flappie.nl
        Music was my first love...

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by b0jf010:
            The problem, I think, is that you want Roland to give you all the steak, all the potatoes, remove the garnish from the plate, and chop the price in half.

Removing the things you mentioned would not change the cost of manufacturing the module at all, I don't think. Extra memory for more kit settings (that's all a kit is, a collection of settings for the drum modelling engine to work on) is dirt cheap, as are a few extra signal processing bells and whistles once the processing paths have been "roughed in". All the expensive stuff in the module (triggering, modelling engine, controls, the basic signal processing options) you want to keep pretty much as is.

The other thing is.... Roland's NOT GOING to do that. The V-Session is selling well at $4,500 US (here in North America).... why would they want to shoot themselves in the foot by releasing essentially same thing at half price? How many V-sessions would they sell with your $2,800 kit running around?

If you want to spend less, I'm not sure what's wrong with the TD-6... it seems to me to be exactly what you are asking for.... big sounds, simple features, cheap price.

Just my 2 cents
            Darren

Comment

Originally posted by darrenmc:
              why would they want to shoot themselves in the foot by releasing essentially same thing at half price?
              They did it with the TD-8 and TD-10. There was nearly war!!! Search through the archives and you'll see!
              Steve

'I only ever quote myself - except when I quote someone else' - me

, plenty of , and , , triggered acoustics, , and a plethora of PA blah blah freakin blah...I mean does anyone care about the specifics of pedals, speakers, processors, hardware or anything that I'm using?? :confused: Hmmm, maybe this is an appropriate place to mention that I tried out a new cymbal stand the other day...

Comment

Working...
              X