Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

FatSound

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FatSound

Hi there,

I have a question. I'm shure that this topic was often discussed in the past but I'm a little stupid German and its not too easy to read all the postings in a foreign language to find the answer for my question.

ok, here it is again:

When I play with my TD-10 on live Gigs I only can use 10 % of the sounds. The most Drum sounds are thin, have no power, no deep... you know?!

Is there any chance, that my PA-Mixer and me can serve our audience a fat TD-10 Sound? Please, please let me know. I spent so much money for that Box... and it make a great noise in my Headphones... but not so good on the PA-Boxes...

Thomas
    Germany

Originally posted by WienerSchnitzel:
    Hi there,

I have a question. I'm shure that this topic was often discussed in the past but I'm a little stupid German and its not too easy to read all the postings in a foreign language to find the answer for my question.

ok, here it is again:

When I play with my TD-10 on live Gigs I only can use 10 % of the sounds. The most Drum sounds are thin, have no power, no deep... you know?!

Is there any chance, that my PA-Mixer and me can serve our audience a fat TD-10 Sound? Please, please let me know. I spent so much money for that Box... and it make a great noise in my Headphones... but not so good on the PA-Boxes...

Thomas
    Germany
    "Fry that sound effect, Moriarty, we're having it for breakfast"

Comment

Some of this depends on the quality of your PA system. I'd recommend you don't spare the volume, effects, ambience or EQ. Don't be afraid to crank things up. A bit of compression sometimes help get more punch. On the V sounds, make adjustments to the depth of the drum.

One thing I have found is that some of the kits we use at our Church sound horrible alone, i.e. very much overprocessed. However, when in a medium sized hall with not so great acoustics, they sound pretty decent standing out in front and played along with the rest of the band. The point is, sometimes you need extra processing to compensate for the room.

I'm assuming you aren't using outboard processing equipment and want to get your money's worth from the TD10. Outboard gear is a topic all to itself. Depending on how much you want to send, lug around and establish settings, you could really tailor your sound to your expectations. But, I think you can get close on live gigs with the onboard stuff.

When you evaluate your sound, there is a pattern you can play which plays a drum riff using all the inputs (pattern #1, Drums). Select it and stand out in front to get an idea of how you really sound.
      Kit Pic 1 Kit Pic 2 Kit Pic 3... And FOR SALE I have: 3 PD-9's, MDS-10 purple rack w/cables/pad and cym mounts. See classified posts for details or PM me.

Comment

WienerSchnitzel and I had email contact this afternoon. I also recommended some outboard gear to get the Vdrums sound right. As you know: outboard gear is not my cup of tea, but several members on this forum get good results with it. I also recommended him to visit this site and post the question here. It's good to see that there are already 2 answers. Even one in German....

Anyway (and that's what I forgot to tell in the email) you will have to live with the fact headphones always sound better than a Public Address system.
        Robert

Comment

Originally posted by WienerSchnitzel:
          Gigs I only can use 10 % of the sounds. The most Drum sounds are thin, have no power, no deep... you know?!
          Outboard compressor with a good fast attack will do the trick and/or adding a BBE will help.

------------------
          Outboard gear: Focusrite Compounder, Drawmer MX-30, BBE-482, Aphex C-104, Behringer T1951 4-Band Parametric Tube EQ, Lexicon MPX1, Mackie 1402-VLZ, (Crown K2 amp & Cerwin Vega V-253 speakers = 1600 watts @ 4 ohms continues power, peak at 3000 watts) and Sony MDR-V700DJ headphones.
          Studio

Comment

Working...
          X