Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BOOK LEARNIN'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BOOK LEARNIN'

Ijust wanted to start a new more detailed, updated forum on instruction.
    I learned some basic reading 20+ years ago in jr. high concert band (tympani) then in marching in high school. I've played no music for the past seven years. so my chops(whatever I had) are really rusty.
    Any how, I got my v club and have been woodshedding for three months since then.
    I got a great book,One Surface Learning
    by Roy Burns (Composer), Joey Farris.
    This comes with a cd and about 80 some odd patterns to play
    These range from jazz to funk, salsa etc.
    The patterns are played on just the snare and then the other elements are worked in. I love this book as it stretches the ol' envelope so to speak.
    Please , lets get some more input from the community on favorite instruction books out there> Thanks

------------------
    caution! filling may be hot

The first book I ever read on drumming (don't laugh) is the Idiot's Guide to Playing Drums (yes, the orange one found in any major bookstore). Seriously, it's an excellent book for the beginner -- covering everything from tuning, technique, rudiments, reading music, care & maintainance, how to buy a drumset, basic patterns, advanced patterns, playing in odd time, playing with other musicians, jazz rhythms, rock, swing, and more -- and it's very well-written and easy to follow. Each chapter includes a plethora of exercises that are really well thought-out and beneficial. I would recommend it to any beginner who is serious about achieving a solid foundation for a happy life of drumming. It sure made my drumming experience a lot better, despite the slightly insulting title.
    Roland TD-20 v1.08, various v-drums and v-cymbals, Yamaha KP65's, Axis pedals, Gibraltar hardware, Mackie 1202/SRM450 (pre-china)

Comment

Kim Plainfield's "Advanced Concepts" with tape or CD is a must have for some serious chops and groves. It's like having 4 books in one. The instruction is excellent.

Comment

1) Stick Control - George Lawrence Stone
        2) Advanced Techniques For The Modern Drummer - Jim Chapin
        3) Pete Magadini's Guide To Polyrhythms
        4) New Breed - Gary Chester
        All of these books have been out for quite some time. I worked my fingers to the bone on those 4 books, and I'm still not sure I understand everything.
        A new book I can recommend is Marco Minnemann's Extreme Interdependence, the guy is just plain mad, and some of the exercises in this book are mind-boggling.

Stu
        "Fry that sound effect, Moriarty, we're having it for breakfast"

Comment

my top 5 are:

1) stick control (gl stone)
          2) syncopation (ted reed)
          3) podemski's snare drum method
          4) beyond bop drumming (john riley)
          5) rhythm and meter patterns (gary chaffee)

Comment

I'm printing this thread and ordering some books..........Thanks for the quick input.

Comment

I just picked up "Future Sounds" by David Garibaldi(Tower of Power) - very good book if you're into funk drumming.
              ATV aDrums, ATV aD5, eDRUMin, Presonus Quantum 2, SD3

Comment

Almost forgot - Colin Bailey's "Bass Drum Control". That guy can play things with one foot that many double bass players would be hard pressed to accomplish! Kind of like "Stick Control" for the feet.
                ATV aDrums, ATV aD5, eDRUMin, Presonus Quantum 2, SD3

Comment

Working...
                X