Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Oysterhead CD....wow.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oysterhead CD....wow.

I know we've had a recent Copeland thread (The Grand Pecking Order)...so, here's another one!!! :P

This is a fascinating disc. I'm a Claypool fan, and a big Copeland fan. If you dig Stewart, and can at LEAST tolerate Les, you'll be rewarded with some of the finest drumming Stewart's ever recorded. Tasty and brilliant stuff! You'll be amazed all over again.

The songs themselves range from really cool and moderately 'accessible', to downright odd; but ALWAYS musically/intellectually interesting. The more you spin it, the better it gets. My first play of it was just, WHOA! STRANGENESS! But once you get into what they are doing, it's pretty darn cool, even hip.

Worth the price of admission for the Stewart's drumming alone, guys.

------------------
    Dan's Music Site; melodic, ethereal rock and more! Please have a listen :^)

Hi Dan ,

There is lots of Oysterhead shn/mp3's action going on at alt.binaries.phish . I even got some live clips which get you up close and personal with Copelands kit. Lots of percussion and weird cymbals. If you like the album checkout the bootlegs , you'll like them even more as the themes and concepts on the record get stretch and morphed live.

Bob
    Don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing.

Comment

Oysterhead is so raw!! They took out a little of Les' silliness and replaced it with the musical stuff that dreams can only dream about. I love it...
      "I'm not a guitarist, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night!"

Comment

I dunno. I listened to the sample tracks on their site and Les' whiny vocals ruined it for me...I guess the novelty of his talk/sing thing wore off for me. But then again, sometimes tunes can grow on ya. Maybe I shouldn't overlook what is there underneath the vocals and relisten.

But I am still a huge Copeland fan
        E-drums: TD-20, RT-5S triggers on snare/toms, KD-7s, VH12, CY-14Cs, CY-15R, Pintech splash.
        A-drums: Zickos (amber) w/ all Zildjians.

Comment

Odd, yes, but definitely interesting. I've only heard a few songs but so far I like what I hear. As a big fan of Phish, The Police, *and* Primus (well, some Primus), I couldn't ask for anything more.
          Roland TD-20 v1.08, various v-drums and v-cymbals, Yamaha KP65's, Axis pedals, Gibraltar hardware, Mackie 1202/SRM450 (pre-china)

Comment

Thanks Ufotofu I was about to ask if this was the same project. I'm very interested in these guys. I love Phish, and back in the day I would rock out Primus, and the drummer from the POLICE!? WHAT WHAT!! love that beat on "message in a bottle" ...can't wait!

------------------
            http://www.evolbeats.com
            http://www.evolbeats.com

Comment

Has anybody seen them play live, yet? They haven't come through Indianapolis.

WMP

(Weapon of Mass Percussion)

Comment

I missed them when they played Seattle!

I would have LOVED to catch this band!!!

------------------

Comment

They are on HBO's Reverb this season. I have already seen the show 4 times already. I'll post here when they will be on again. They are totally out there, but Stewart is not kidding around back there. Also, note Trey's "Deer Antler" guitar. He's lucky he doesn't poke someone's eye out with that thing. Great show overall!!

Comment

Man, that would be great if you would!

Thanks!

------------------

Comment

am i the only one whole doesn't like it? man, i am a huge stewart and police fan - i even like the rhythmatist! but i'm not feeling this oysterhead cd at all.

get rid of les and the dude from phish and it might be alright [ ] but i personally think it's WACK.

glad you all are feeling it though. they all seem like good guys and i wish them the best of luck, even if my personal taste differs with their vision.

Comment

I saw Oysterhead perform on Conan O'Brien last night. Pretty enjoyable stuff - they definitely have a very cool sound. And they wisely chose a song that Les didn't sing lead

[This message has been edited by Jimmy C (edited January 17, 2002).]
                        E-drums: TD-20, RT-5S triggers on snare/toms, KD-7s, VH12, CY-14Cs, CY-15R, Pintech splash.
                        A-drums: Zickos (amber) w/ all Zildjians.

Comment

Working...
                        X