Announcement

Collapse

Lounge Posting Guidelines

E-DRUMMING DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST PRODUCT OR TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

recovering vdrums

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• recovering vdrums

Has anyone recovered the vdrums? If yes who did it and how much did it cost. Cindy Blackmans (Lenny Kravitz) has a set of red sparkle vdrums!

------------------
    --
    -Brian Leach, [email protected]

Hi - Yes.. I've recovered my V-drums TD-100/120 shells... with wallpaper!!

No joke.. I know it sounds a little silly but it was one of the best things I've did to customise the look.

I unscrewed all the parts leaving the base-white drum shell.
    Be careful when removing the drum trigger.

Then when to a local wallpaper shop and had a look at all their "last season/last rolls" which they were happy to give away.. huge selection...
    Found a cloudy blue/white patten which really complimented the cool drum rack. The paper was pre-pasted so just needed to cut the lengths with a craft-knife and wet the back and paste on.
    Wait till the glue sets before doing anything else otherwise you with tear the paper...
    I had enough paper to do two pd-100/one pd120 and do a complete second hand old 22" acoustic drum (which I have converted as a bass-kick triggered drum).
    Replace all the hoop holders / head and trigger and tune up head like an acoustic for feel and using the module for the trigger sensitivity.

I have had heaps of comments from drummers and non-drummers on how it looks...

I've also done other things to customise it (DIY triggers)but overall recovering it has made it looking a million bucks...

Hope this helps.. or inspires...

------------------

Comment

Originally posted by Vinnie_the kiwi kid:
      Hi - Yes.. I've recovered my V-drums TD-100/120 shells... with wallpaper!!
      Hi Vinnie.. It has been around 3 months since you covered your V's. How is the wallpaper holding up? Any peeling or delaminating from heat or humidity? Any lessons learned to share? The idea sounds tempting.

Comment

I once covered a set of acoustic drums with contact paper. From the audience, it looked like a "real" covering. It worked well, and left no damage when I removed it over 5 years later. Removed any trace of old adhesive with WD40.

Same procedure as the wallpaper, i.e. remove lugs, mounts etc.

Comes in many different colors/patterns, and inexpensive enough to change often.

Comment

Hey all:

I wanted to revive an old topic. Has anyone done anymore in recovering their kits?

I went to a music store yesterday and saw a Remo set with a REALLY COOL sparkle/glitter/iridescent finish on them. I have never seen anything like it. Immediately, I knew, that's how I want to refinish my VDrums. I looked at Remo's website but can't find a reference to the color I saw.

Does anyone have any sources I can contact to find a similar finish or wrap?

Thanks for your help.

MattS
          WMP

(Weapon of Mass Percussion)

Comment

Originally posted by matts64:
            Hey all:

I wanted to revive an old topic. Has anyone done anymore in recovering their kits?

MattS
            I started the topic you are referring to. You can go to this forum for details:
            http://www.vdrums.com/discussion/For...ML/000911.html

My finished product is online at:
            http://y42.photos.yahoo.com/bc/hmasi...?.dir=/V-Drums

- Hans
            - Hans

Comment

Originally posted by matts64:
              ...I wanted to revive an old topic. Has anyone done anymore in recovering their kits?

I went to a music store yesterday and saw a Remo set with a REALLY COOL sparkle/glitter/iridescent finish on them. I have never seen anything like it. Immediately, I knew, that's how I want to refinish my VDrums...Does anyone have any sources I can contact to find a similar finish or wrap?...
              I know I've been saying this for a while now, but I hope to have mine done by Xmas. I have a delay because I am having a custom one of a kind covering fabricated. But in regard to your search, see if you can find what you are after here for a start: http://www.precisiondrum.com/colorlst.html

Comment

Just gotta be different, eh Doc? My paint job on mine is holding up great so far. For those who didn't follow the original thread, I stripped the shells of hardware, lightly sanded the white covering, and sprayed them with Hammerite Rust Cap gun metal-colored paint. This gave them a sort of charcoal "hammered metal" finish. So far, the reaction has been all positive.

On stage, the darker finish isn't a hinderance visually, because the "hammered" texture of the paint causes some nice sparkles and reflections from the par cans. I was gonna try the contact paper, but decided I wanted something a little different. I suppose I coulda been smarter and actually bought drum covering material, but I have such a MacGyver-type attitude that I had to try something off-the-wall.

Yeah, I can never go back to the plain white finish now, but I can always re-cover the shells if I need a new look. I also took the liberty of painting the PD-100/120 mounts flat (barbeque) black while I had 'em apart - and this was before I knew that the newer red & purple kits already had black mounts! Thought I was being innovative; turned out that I wasn't. Looks cool as hell, tho!

-Danny
                -Danny

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Comment

Just a side point:
                  What effect would recovering your drums have on resale value?
                  My tendency is to think that it might lower the resale value, but then again...
                  Steve

'I only ever quote myself - except when I quote someone else' - me

, plenty of , and , , triggered acoustics, , and a plethora of PA blah blah freakin blah...I mean does anyone care about the specifics of pedals, speakers, processors, hardware or anything that I'm using?? :confused: Hmmm, maybe this is an appropriate place to mention that I tried out a new cymbal stand the other day...

Comment

My uneducated guess would be that it would depend on the quality of the recovering job. One like Dr. Kildrum is planning should have no negative affect on the resale value (possibly increase it, to the right buyer), the contact paper method would have no effect since you could remove it completely before resale. If you sand & paint 'em like me, though, I'm sure the resale value goes way down. I thought about it briefly before embarking on my project, but decided that I was customizing them for me, not for the potential next owner. Not like they're a house or a collector's car, after all. I bought 'em to play, not as an investment, so I figured that it didn't really matter to me.

Guess that's an individual choice. Gotta do what you feel comfortable with.

-Danny
                    -Danny

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Comment

Originally posted by Vinnie_the kiwi kid:
                      I've also done other things to customise it (DIY triggers)but overall recovering it has made it looking a million bucks...
                      Why do you need DIY triggers on a V-Drum kit?!
                      "I'm not a guitarist, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night!"

Comment

Originally posted by hmasing:
                        I started the topic you are referring to. You can go to this forum for details:
                        http://www.vdrums.com/discussion/For...ML/000911.html

My finished product is online at:
                        http://y42.photos.yahoo.com/bc/hmasi...?.dir=/V-Drums

- Hans
                        Hans, thank you very much. I'm considering the purchase of a V-session, but was NOT liking the red colour at all. Now that I hear from you that refinishing the drums is relatively easy, and that the results look great (that is a nice looking kit you have there), I can have any shade I want... this opens up the possibilities considerably. I can go mix and match with white shells and a Gibraltar rack, and then have any darned colour I want. COOL! What a great forum this is!!!

Darren

Comment

See. Search and ye shall find. I'm having mine recovered with a custom drum shell material at a drum builder (eventually). Was going to have it done in December but have got sidetracked.

Comment

I read that some Vdrummers spray painted their tom mounts. Has anyone tried to paint or refinish the underside of a PD9?

What do you guys think about this? Could a quality, reasonably permanent finish be obtained? Any concerns about chipping and wear?
                            WMP

Comment

Originally posted by matts64
                              I read that some Vdrummers spray painted their tom mounts. Has anyone tried to paint or refinish the underside of a PD9?

What do you guys think about this? Could a quality, reasonably permanent finish be obtained? Any concerns about chipping and wear?
                              Any thoughts on this??? I found a cool brilliantburst by Remo and want to recover the drums with it. However, I need to do something with the PD9s.
                              WMP

Comment

Working...
                              X