Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sharing wisdom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sharing wisdom

As I learn more and more about these amazing instruments I pick up a few tidbits of absolutely invaluable information. Id like to share something I learned about machine gun triggering of the toms during roles and other rudiments. Some people play straight notes when rolling on toms, I like to use accents all over the place. I had noticed that these accents were often lost due to this parasitic effect. I did learn that aside from changing trigger parameters, and of course setting the trigger curve to exp1 or exp2, certain samples did it worse than others. So if anyone is struggling with this problem I would like to reccomend either the 60's tom's or the ballad toms or, my personal favorite a mix of the two sets of toms like: tom1-ballad tom1, tom2-ballad tom2, tom3-ballad tom2(tuned down with a different head) and tom4-60's tom4. I found that by using these samples I have been able to maximize my dynamic's and expressiveness. Even though at first I didn't like the sample's, after a little eq'ing/compression/ambience I got these toms sounding amazing. Hope this helps, Good luck.

------------------
    -Drumlogic, V-session, Visulite cymbals, (2)Mackie srm-450, bbe 482 sonic maximizer, spd-20
    -Drumlogic, V-session, Visulite/roland cymbals, (2)Mackie srm-450's, bbe 482 sonic maximizer,

BTW, when I use these toms, I can do a soft double/single stroke roll off center of a pd100/120 mesh pad and almost get a consistent tone or note like a real tom. When I hit them harder and closer to the center they give a slapping sound with less sustain much like a real drum.
    -Drumlogic, V-session, Visulite/roland cymbals, (2)Mackie srm-450's, bbe 482 sonic maximizer,

Comment

I hadn't heard of anyone with a Session kit getting machine gunning. You must be talking about something extremely subtle. I get quick drags, ruffs, single stroke rolls, double stroke rolls, accents in rolls/fills without any such problem. A few samples are too "thick" for very fast play (the sound will be muddy), but never noticed any triggering problems like you describe.

Comment

Dr, I found that most of the samples in the td-10exp produce this machine gun triggering effect. It's just due to the fact that vdrums retrigger the attack sound every time it a pad is hit. And it is always the same EXACT sound every time. Actually in my opinion EVERY sample machine gun's if you roll on it. IMHO, this is the absolute worst feature of the vdrums. I realize this effect is much greater on the older modules and pads, but you cant honestly say that any of the toms are close to being as expressive or responsive as real toms. I can hear machine gunning on all the tom samples. After weeks of research I've concluded that the ballad toms and 60's tom do it the least of all the others, but it is still there. Anyone else using a vsession kit and experiencing machine gunning?
        -Drumlogic

------------------
        -Drumlogic, V-session, Visulite cymbals, (2)Mackie srm-450, bbe 482 sonic maximizer, spd-20

Comment

Hmmm. I think maybe its just the terminology. When I hear the term machine gunning, I think of a very dated and obvious and ugly robotic thing of the past. My best guess is what is bugging you is a bit more subtle than what I think of when I hear the term. I won't dispute that every nuance is not therse, but the net effect is pretty darn good and pretty expressive I think, but obviously not the same.

This is the exact kind of thing that makes me nuts that I can't post an MP3 yet (maybe in a week or two).

Comment

dr, Your probably right. I am very picky about my drums sounds so I notice the littlest of things. Machine gunning has been drastically reduced with the session kit, but still present. Sorry, I guess Im just anal.

------------------

Comment

Working...
            X