Announcement

Collapse

Lounge Posting Guidelines

E-DRUMMING DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST PRODUCT OR TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

Snare pad, rim/head balance?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snare pad, rim/head balance?

Tried a search, couln't track this down...

Is there a secret to setting the threshhold between the snare head and rim triggers? I've been struggling trying to find that spot where the rim consistently triggers only that sound, and the head triggers only its sound.

The rim seems to have a moderate range where it plays the click sample, but playing either too soft or too hard triggers the snare sample. But if I adjust the threshhold so the rim triggers ONLY that sample at all dynamics, then the head begins to trigger it, too.

I have the TDW-1 update and tried reading the manual, but it's in Japanese!!!

hahahaha, I know... turn it over.

Anyway, the "paragraph" on that adjustment wasn't especially helpful. Hopefully some of you have found optimum settings?

Thanks,

Bermuda

Hi Bermuda

It's strange to hear you say that playing the rim too softly will cause the snare(head) to play. It sounds like your snare head sensitivity is too high a/or snare head threshhold is too low, while the opposite to some degree is true for your rim.

Try adjusting the snare head sensitivity down - lower numbers. Try the threshold on the snare head at about 2. Then go mess with the rim parameters so you get the click and rimshot worked out.

HTH
    Immensely powerful yet with a liquid cat-quick elegance

Comment

Originally posted by gingerbaker:
      It's strange to hear you say that playing the rim too softly will cause the snare(head) to play. It sounds like your snare head sensitivity is too high a/or snare head threshhold is too low, while the opposite to some degree is true for your rim.

Too soft AND too loud triggers the head sound. I'm finding 3 separate dynamic ranges on the rim! I worked with it some more, it's still been very frustrating, embarassing, and time-consuming while on the client's clock.

Steve Fisher from Roland is doing a demo at Ontario Music (Calif.) next Wednesday. I'll go down there and pick his brain a bit.

Bermuda

[This message has been edited by bermuda (edited November 22, 2001).]

Comment

Originally posted by bermuda:
        [b]
        Steve Fisher from Roland is doing a demo at Ontario Music (Calif.) next Wednesday. I'll go down there and pick his brain a bit.

Bermuda

[This message has been edited by bermuda (edited November 22, 2001).]
        Well,what did Steve say?

Comment

I was able to get all my questions answered by one of Steve's associates there, David Garza. With respect to the rim/head balance issue, I'll just have to experiment. But I got firsthand answers to other questions that had stumped me, even after using my kit for a year: the difference between copying or loading kits, dual triggering certain pads, the bend feature's apparent "pre/post" effect, the benefits of the latest cymbal software upgrade... something else, I forget.

Steve delivered a great demonstration and plays a mean V-kit. He was particularly adept on the HandSonic, and I was very enticed by it! He also gave an interesting overview of electronic drums, albeit a bit skewed towards Roland. Still, I left there feeling great about my kit.

I highly recommend attending a demo if possible, and there were also some giveaways, including an SPD-6 (mini-Octapad.)

Bermuda

Comment

Bermuda

Please extrapolate on some of this first-hand info you got. What IS the difference between loading and copying? Also, what did you learn about dual triggering certain pads?
            Let's not withhold any information now.

Kevin

Comment

Working...
            X