Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Quick Hello (Newbie)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick Hello (Newbie)

Just wanted to say hi to all.

I've recently got the bug to start playing drums again, after paying a Roland VCustom kit at a local music store. It won't be to mid year til I can lash out and buy though I'ts good to drop in to a place like this and do some homework before I spend some cash.

I'll take some time and look at alot of previous posts for some ideas, though feel free to throw some advice my way about which Ekit to buy.

Welcome, there is a wealth of info here. Everyone has a difference of opinion here which is good. You will get a lot of different ideas. I think the most important thing is the brain. Make sure you don't skimp there. You can always add to or upgrade the rest of the kit but the brain does all the work. Get the wrong one and you will have a very expensive piece of plastic that you won't be happy with.

Dave

Comment

What Dave said. You will no doubt find many posts with people asking that type of question and a ton of others. The best advice I know to start with is to try everything you can.

Then decide stuff like if mesh or rubber pads suit your needs/wants. Decide if a COSM or a sampling module fits the bill. Decide on a couple of close contenders. Etc., etc. Then, if you have specific questions, the kind of questions your local music store doesn't have a clue on, you have found the answer spot, the secret weapon, the fountain of edrum knowlege. The more specific your questions, the better the answers I think you'll get.

If you ask what you should buy, you'll probably hear all about what we all bought, but chances are you've got specific needs, preferences and budget.

Welcome to a great forum.

Comment

Yah, welcome aboard and all that stuff.
        Buy some stuff, find out you can't do this or that with it then find out that you can actually do things with it you never thought possible, then play it all for a few years, add to it until it is thoroughly overcapitalised, get disallusioned and sell it off for less than a tenth of its original price!
        Oh the joys of it all!
        Steve

'I only ever quote myself - except when I quote someone else' - me

, plenty of , and , , triggered acoustics, , and a plethora of PA blah blah freakin blah...I mean does anyone care about the specifics of pedals, speakers, processors, hardware or anything that I'm using?? :confused: Hmmm, maybe this is an appropriate place to mention that I tried out a new cymbal stand the other day...

Comment

Lol! Nice Steve

Journey, welcome to the board!

Since you've got six months till you purchase, do a search on V Clubs, V Studios, V Customs, and the rest...rule out what is too expensive (or just too much, or too little of a kit) and go from there.

Before doing any major searches, though, go out to the store and play the kits...see which ones strike your fancy, and fit your budget. Sounds like you have plenty of time to consider your options before pulling the trigger

Feel free to ask any specific questions here...but like the others said, you'll get lots of opinions on what to get with a general "what should I get?" thread

------------------
          Dan's Music Site; melodic, ethereal rock and more! Please have a listen :^)
          Dan's Music Site; melodic, ethereal rock and more! Please have a listen :^)

Comment

just splurge and get the V-session. Itll be worth it, trust me I have one and I havent seen any other edrum kits that can compare.
            -drumlogic
            -Drumlogic, V-session, Visulite/roland cymbals, (2)Mackie srm-450's, bbe 482 sonic maximizer,

Comment

Originally posted by drumlogic:
              just splurge and get the V-session. Itll be worth it, trust me I have one and I havent seen any other edrum kits that can compare.
              That's a pretty weighty statement. The DMPro Hart kit blows the V-Drums out of the water, as does the Ddrum kit. I love the V-Drums, but they aren't the only game in town...nor are they the only best option.
              "I'm not a guitarist, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night!"

Comment

Your feedback is much appreciated, The selection (on the surface anyway) in Ekits seems limited in Australia as Roland and Yamaha are the only two brands I've come accross setup on the shop floor to test.

I haven't seen any Hart series though since time is on my side i'll dig around. I'd like to take drumlogics advice and go for the top of the series though the TD8 Vcustom kit retails for $6795 down here, which leads to my next question, does anyone want to buy a kidney :-)

Thanks All

Comment

Originally posted by Journey:
                  Roland and Yamaha are the only two brands I've come accross
                  Yep, you probably won't find much else down here. I have yet to set eyes on a Hart or Pintech kit (not through lack of looking). I don't know if anyone imports them. Not much of an edrum market down here I feel.

When you are ready to buy let me know, I may be ready to sell.
                  Steve

'I only ever quote myself - except when I quote someone else' - me

, plenty of , and , , triggered acoustics, , and a plethora of PA blah blah freakin blah...I mean does anyone care about the specifics of pedals, speakers, processors, hardware or anything that I'm using?? :confused: Hmmm, maybe this is an appropriate place to mention that I tried out a new cymbal stand the other day...

Comment

Working...
                  X