Announcement

Collapse

Lounge Posting Guidelines

E-DRUMMING DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST PRODUCT OR TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

Making a drum brain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Making a drum brain

see this link.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI...tem=1680067938

anyone tried this??

This started years ago when an article ran in electronics now or radio electronics magazine. It was a 2-part article to build a "Thumb Drum". You could either build an FM synthesis board for sounds or build the midi module. I is a diffcult project and requires microprocessor and eeprom programming. You only get 8 inputs for over $100 in parts and a lot of labor. You basically are building a MIDI KITI (which cn be found on ebay for $30 to $100). Double the inputs and you have $200 in it and 16 inputs. No velocity switching, no positional sensing, limited cross-talk and a ver un-user friendly interface. Then, you also have no sounds! You have to midi this thing into a sound module. You see where I am going with this?

The Roland TD-6 is just around $400-$500. You get tons of sounds and features plus years of Roland expertise and manufactoring quality. What of quality control and tech support/warranty are you going to have from a homemade unit?
    http://www.paia.com/midibrn.htm
    That is the original maker with parts lists and prices.

Here is just a few features of the TD-6:

Ultra-affordable V-drums sound module with 64-voice polyphony
    1,024 drum and percussion sounds,
    262 backing sounds, and 99 kits
    "Drummer-friendly" interface with large, rubber buttons and backlit LCD
    9 trigger inputs accommodate up to 11 pads and cymbals, including acclaimed V-pads
    6-part sequencer with 150 Preset songs and 100 User song locations
    Onboard 2-band EQ and Ambience effect

I have tried building a lot of stuff myself, and it almost never is worth it. You end up spending more than you could have bought it for.

Comment

Working...
    X