Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Good vocal efx processor...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good vocal efx processor...

What is a good vocal efx. processor to use as the main at the console?? Anyone recommend anything in the $500 range? Something with reverb, delay, some distortion, etc... What about a harmonizer - anyone use them?
    We have a large gig in a few weeks at the Hot Rod Cafe - the biggest club in our area....http://www.lubewings.com/

We need a better vocal efx. processor...

Also - we would like to be able to run different efx. on the lead singers voice - for certain parts of songs... how do we accomplish this? Do we need a multi-bus mixer for that? Any help here would be great...

Szvook.....where you at???

Erik

Erik,

I have always sworn by Eventide (that is...'til now). Unfortunately, they have always been very fond of their gear too, starting it out well into the thousands (plural). I have recently sold my most recent Eventide while the getting was good and now that I got my good price, I don't mind saying why I sold. T. C. Helicon's Voice Prism friggin' rocks. It is extremely intuitive and just flat sounds great (almost regardless of what you do). However, although I got a good trial deal on mine, I think they actually sell for like $900. I know that is more than you are saying you want to ivest, but IMHO, that is one a bargain.

If $500 is your ceiling, I think Digitech makes a decent rack mount and a table top but I am not very familiar with them. One is more than the other, but both are under $500. I believe one if not both of those include a harmonizer. I think a good vox processor is indespensible.

Comment

Just tryin' to learn from you wizards here: What would a Vox efx processor be used for? Like instant reverb, or delay out of a vocal mic? What apps would it have towards vocals? Thanx!
      Thanx. Alex & me V's! http://photos.yahoo.com/flexapr

Comment

The TC M-One is a great allround effects unit.

------------------
        http://mpcman.flappie.nl
        Music was my first love...

Comment

Originally posted by Alexander:
          ...What would a Vox efx processor be used for? Like instant reverb, or delay out of a vocal mic? What apps would it have towards vocals?...
          Really depends on how much you want to spend. An entry level one is much like any other effects processor, verb, delay, chorus maybe, etc., but geared (or is supposed to be) for vocals.

As you move up, you gain quality and focus on truly vocal specific manipulation. On the higher end, you can get into harmonizers which can thicken things up (doubling through four part harmonies and beyond), and for those who want it, intonators (pitch correctors--you set the key(s) and it corrects off notes). Now there is some moral debate to the latter, but my thoughts are it is a tool. It will not make me sound like Whitney Houston, it will only correct my lousy vocal characteristics to the intended pitch, and it is much more useful then redoing a whole track or section punch over one or two blown notes.

Even a middle of the road model is a good idea for a gigging artist or band if there is singing, and a must for any recording. It is rare, that you will want or use the same effects on your vocals as your guitars, synths, etc., and even if you do, and even if you have true dual channel units, you never seem to have a whole extra channel to devote. A vox processor is a handy piece of gear, and a must for recording (MHO).

Comment

Thanx again, for the insight, doc! G'nites.
            Thanx. Alex & me V's! http://photos.yahoo.com/flexapr

Comment

Originally posted by MPCman:
              The TC M-One is a great allround effects unit.

I don't know how great a deal this actually is but I just got an e-mail on this 12/14.

GREAT DEALS: Recording Special

TC ELECTRONIC M-ONE DIGITAL EFFECTS PROCESSOR - SAVE OVER 49%!
              List Price $699.00 - Reg. Price $499.99 - INTERNET SPECIAL $349.99
              Price good until gone - and at this price, it won't be long!

Click here for more information on the TC ELECTRONIC M-ONE: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/j.pl/6023424
              Kit Pic 1 Kit Pic 2 Kit Pic 3... And FOR SALE I have: 3 PD-9's, MDS-10 purple rack w/cables/pad and cym mounts. See classified posts for details or PM me.

Comment

For vocals the Digitech Vocalist is a pretty good contender, it's the secret behind Jon Anderson (YES)'s intonation these days
                It's a great vocal processor, it's based on IVL technology, and Yamaha actually offers basically the same unit as a plug-in board for their S-series and Motif keyboards.
                This is the tabletop and rack unit Kildrum was referring to.

Stu

[This message has been edited by mcconaghy (edited December 16, 2001).]
                "Fry that sound effect, Moriarty, we're having it for breakfast"

Comment

Originally posted by Boingo:
                  I don't know how great a deal this actually is but I just got an e-mail on this 12/14.

GREAT DEALS: Recording Special

TC ELECTRONIC M-ONE DIGITAL EFFECTS PROCESSOR - SAVE OVER 49%!
                  List Price $699.00 - Reg. Price $499.99 - INTERNET SPECIAL $349.99
                  Price good until gone - and at this price, it won't be long!

Click here for more information on the TC ELECTRONIC M-ONE: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/j.pl/6023424
                  To me that seems a great deal.

------------------
                  http://mpcman.flappie.nl
                  Music was my first love...

Comment

These things have always interested me but I just gotta say,I'm green as hell when it comes to the gear.

Can it really make a shi**Y Singer sound good? ( Scrathes Chin....Stars in his eyes )
                    I had no idea they read fast enough to make that big of a difference.

I'm coming off of not having played for years so I'm afraid I was a bit of a caveman drummer way back when...set em I'll play,Argggh!
                    It wasn't till the Vs forced me into rocket science that these things became interesting.
                    Forgive me;-(

Comment

Originally posted by RYLO:
                      ...Can it really make a shi**Y Singer sound good?
                      First define shi**y and then define how good. No, it won't make a lousy singer sound like one of the three tenors. The speed on the intonators can usually be adjusted. If you set them too hard, you will get the "Cher effect". Go to the Voice Prism (T.C. Helicon) pages and check out the MP3s. If you get the settings right for the speed of the sound and the degree needed, the correction is amazing.

So you can correct pitch, but the further you are off, the harder it is. If you waiver or are way off, it becomes incredibly tricky for a unit to catch and fix. However, the better intonators, can put most so so singers on pitch with little to no hint of what is goin on. You can also extend your range beyond what you can actually hit with some transposition, etc. A good unit like the Voice Prism can thicken, add lows (better than a sweet condensor mic), add rasp, breath, growl, etc., and of course harmonies It is really very clever.

Anyone can benefit, but your weaknesses or bad habits, they will likely still be in there, somewhere.

Demoing vocal stuff for some can be an excercise in courage if you aren't comfortable with your pipes. Either get your courage up, or liquored up, or better yet talk one of the sales guys into demonstrating (if you can). If all else fails, just humming exaggerated styles, (hee-haw, patriotic marches, Sinatra-esque crooning) will give you a good idea of what a box can do, without you having to run scales in front of 50 Christmas shoppers and feel (too) awkward.

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by mcconaghy:
                        [B]For vocals the Digitech Vocalist is a pretty good contender, it's the secret behind Jon Anderson (YES)'s intonation these days
                        It's a great vocal processor, it's based on IVL technology, and Yamaha actually offers basically the same unit as a plug-in board for their S-series and Motif keyboards.
                        This is the tabletop and rack unit Kildrum was referring to.

Stu

Ditto.............I have a Digitech Vocalist 300 and Love it!! The best part is that YOU have control of the effects....Not some sound tech that forgets or gets busy doing something else during a gig. Less than 300 bux you can't go wrong........................IMO

Jed

[This message has been edited by studioVjeff (edited December 18, 2001).]

Comment

Just a quick plug: Although we (my main band) only use a couple of processors in the studio, one of them is the Digitech Studio 400. Don't know how much it costs, but it has 4 separate channels of ins/outs, which might work well for your desire to switch "on the fly." Just a thought,

-Danny
                          -Danny

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Comment

Working...
                          X