Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

edrum purchasing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• edrum purchasing

I realize that this site is about "Vdrums" the brand but after reading many posts in the last week or two, I'm curious about how many people are testing the other brands. When I purchased my set, I did all the research online and forums and all that jazz that most people do; but how many people actually play the drums before they buy. After playing my Hart Dynamics, I couldn't believe how bad the Roland Vdrums felt. They were like playing sponges. And the hardware was crap! And I don't know if they have addressed this issue or not either. I think that people need to realize that what we are giving them is our OPINION only. What's right for me may not be right for you. There is a good selection out there and something right for all of you. Don't ask us what to buy, ask us to help you decide what's right for you. I'm sure other edrummers will agree, but what do all of you think?

[This message has been edited by Eric (edited December 03, 2001).]

I tried everything I could get my hands on, and much of the better stuff at some length. I continue to test new products as they become available, just as with acoustics. I went so far as to "borrow" a ddrum kit for about a month, and messed with "tunings", pedals, amplification, etc. on all major brands right in the stores (for hours) before ever buying the first piece of gear. I looked at, read about and demo'd e-drums for about a year in my spare time before even deciding on what I would start with. Not everyone has that kind of time or patience I know, but the more hands on scouting you do the better I think.

If my own specific needs were different, I might well have gone with something else.

FWIW, as you mention it, to me there is no question that the Hart heads are superior to the Rolands for my needs and taste. That is why I use them and some three plys that are very similar only more rigid still. I don't try to push one product or another though. Individual mileage always varies. If someone was to ask, "which heads are best for e-drums" I likely wouldn't try to answer because I can't know what that individual might think is good, better, best. But if they said, "how can I make my springy Roland heads feel more like my acoustics", that is something I might could take a stab at.

But I do know what you mean. My guess is it is only natural to be proud of your purchase, your decisions, whatever. When those "what to get" questions get thrown out, a lot of people shout out their setups with little in the way of explanation other than "rocks" or the equivalent.

Your point is well taken that we shoud remind ourselves that the investment someone asking that kind of question is contemplating is often a big one for them. I try not take that idea lightly, and try very hard to listen for the questions that I can answer somewhat objectively. However, we are dealing with a very subjective (by nature) subject, so a little personal taste and opinion is bound to be mixed in.

Comment

Originally posted by Harlock:
      I live in a contry where choice is Roland/Yamaha/DDrum... Sorry (for me)
      Are you saying that the country does not allow you to 'ship in' other brands? If so, yes sorry for you. If not ....

Don't blame country, blame ...

Comment

Originally posted by Harlock:
        By the way, when are you going to replace those 8xPD-9s & 3xPD-7 pads ...
        For home practice (and that's all it was ever intended for) my setup has made me AND still keeps me very happy. I don't even need the TDW-1. By the time my system breaksdown to the point of unusability (surely many, many years from now), AND if I do decide to replace it, I marvel at what kinds of toys I'll have to choose from at that point in time.

Comment

Please excuse my ignorance (and the off topic comment) but what is it with this 'FOTKI' thing?
          Steve

'I only ever quote myself - except when I quote someone else' - me

, plenty of , and , , triggered acoustics, , and a plethora of PA blah blah freakin blah...I mean does anyone care about the specifics of pedals, speakers, processors, hardware or anything that I'm using?? :confused: Hmmm, maybe this is an appropriate place to mention that I tried out a new cymbal stand the other day...

Comment

...what is it with this 'FOTKI' thing?[/B]
            People used to store photos there (for free) and would link to them. Now fotki charges, and if you don't pay, you can't link. If you try it, and don't subscribe, all you will get on the web page you post to is the stupid "fotki" logo.

Comment

Thanks, now on with the topic!...
              Steve

'I only ever quote myself - except when I quote someone else' - me

, plenty of , and , , triggered acoustics, , and a plethora of PA blah blah freakin blah...I mean does anyone care about the specifics of pedals, speakers, processors, hardware or anything that I'm using?? :confused: Hmmm, maybe this is an appropriate place to mention that I tried out a new cymbal stand the other day...

Comment

...just didn't want the thread to end like that for Steve.
                Immensely powerful yet with a liquid cat-quick elegance

Comment

Working...
                X