Announcement

Collapse

Lounge Posting Guidelines

E-DRUMMING DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST PRODUCT OR TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

Using Sounds not in the TD-10

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using Sounds not in the TD-10

I may be needing a thunder sound that I can activate either from a pad or a pedal. First of all, is it possible to do since there is no thunder sound on the TD-10 and second if it is possible, how would you go about doing it?

Dave

It is possible to trigger a sound (sample) that is stored in just about any midi capable device. Do you have anything that plays samples like a keyboard or sampler?

Comment

There's a thunder sound in the TDW-1 upgrade. It's not great, but I've used it some. It needs to be lengthened and tuned down a bit to sound a little more realistic. It's pretty far down the dial toward the end of the dial, sorry I don't have the number right now.

Comment

Originally posted by dr. kildrum:
        It is possible to trigger a sound (sample) that is stored in just about any midi capable device. Do you have anything that plays samples like a keyboard or sampler?

No, that would of been the easy way to do it. . I don't have anything like that. I was hoping I could just load it onto a memory card and trigger it that way.

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by FloridaDrummer:
          I was hoping I could just load it onto a memory card and trigger it that way.
          Dream on Dave!

Perhaps they will include that on the TD-20!

Sorry to disappoint you bud.
          Steve

'I only ever quote myself - except when I quote someone else' - me

, plenty of , and , , triggered acoustics, , and a plethora of PA blah blah freakin blah...I mean does anyone care about the specifics of pedals, speakers, processors, hardware or anything that I'm using?? :confused: Hmmm, maybe this is an appropriate place to mention that I tried out a new cymbal stand the other day...

Comment

Originally posted by Steveo the Devo:
            Dream on Dave!

Perhaps they will include that on the TD-20!

Sorry to disappoint you bud.
            Not disappointed really, I have learned that if you are trying to do it the easy way, it will never work. Can I download it into a sampler and then trigger it? What format does it need to be in if the sampler can trigger it?

Comment

I think you may want to take an hour or two to go through some of the sounds on the TD-10 and tweak them a little. For a 'thunder' sound you'll want to lower the pitch, probably under -200, maybe under -300. For example, try 'gunshot', 'bomb' or one of the gongs; some of the cymbals sound pretty cool when lowered. Experiment with ambience, room sizes, and effects.

You may find that the thunder sound you want has been there all along.

DJourg

Comment

Samplers come in all varieties and use many formats. Most good samplers can use multiple formats. The midi signal sent from your TD can tell the sampler what sample to play, how loud (or what version of the sample to play [velocity switching] which can be from slight variation to radically different), etc.

Samplers can be a little complicated and good ones are a little pricey. If you only think you will have a need for this one sound, they are almost certainly not worth the price of admission nor your time. If you have a keyboard player with a board that samples, you may be able to shoot a cable over to that, or maybe someone else can trigger the sound from tape or a CD, etc., etc. If you need to do it from your kit, tweaking a module sound or midi triggering a remote (sample) are really the two most obvious options.

Comment

I think Djorg is on the right track...in my ddrum modules I can make a ride cymbal sound like thunder by adjusting pitch, decay, etc...

Erik

Comment

Originally posted by DJourg:

I think you may want to take an hour or two to go through some of the sounds on the TD-10 and tweak them a little. For a 'thunder' sound you'll want to lower the pitch, probably under -200, maybe under -300. For example, try 'gunshot', 'bomb' or one of the gongs; some of the cymbals sound pretty cool when lowered. Experiment with ambience, room sizes, and effects.

You may find that the thunder sound you want has been there all along.

DJourg
                    This is just what I did.And on one of my kits ,I trigger 2 different thunder sounds that I saved.(hmmm,country band,wonder what song?)It will take time like DJourg said,but after it's all said and done,youll be happier.Besides,should something go south down the road and you have to re-initialize,you'll be able to get it back pdq,if it was a midi signal,you will have to do the same process all over again.
                    Bad Karma

Comment

Originally posted by bad karma:
                      This is just what I did.And on one of my kits ,I trigger 2 different thunder sounds that I saved.(hmmm,country band,wonder what song?)

Hmmm... It does happen to be a country song.

Everyone, Thanks for the great advice. I never would of thought of tweaking a cymbal. That is what is so great about this board. The knowledge on all subjects are endless. I don't need a sampler but knowing me, that will be my next purchase. Just gearing up for the inevitable.

Dave

Comment

Working...
                      X