Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Soundproofing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soundproofing

I just started finishing off my basement to sound proof it. I want contain/dampen the noise for when I jam with other people. I also anticipate bringing in another set of A's.

Right now, Modern Drummer is running a series on soundproofing. I also saw a picture of Szvook's sound proofing on another post.

What have you guys done for soundproofing? What worked for you and didn't work for you? Any kind of hints and tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your insight.

Groetles.

VMattS
    WMP

(Weapon of Mass Percussion)

In a basement, you will probably want to concentrate first on keeping the sound from getting up through the ceiling/floor above (when you say soundproofing). You will also need to do something about the reflections in the room as well and the door(s)/stairwell(s) leading down.

Auralex makes some good products and will likely have some tips on their site on how to approach this. I think I even saw some discussions that were on point there once.

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I think you are right about first concentrating on the ceiling. I did the ceiling prior to MD's article. I simply insulated and hung up acoustic ceiling panels. If I had read the article prior to starting, I would would have used Auralex's Sound Barrier sheets. However...it's a little late now!

The north, east and west walls in my studio are concrete. I now have the south wall framed. Initially, I was going to use insulation on the south wall and then install the acoustic panels on the wall as well. My wife suggested to continue with that and also hang up some kind of paneling on all four walls. She is concerned about the asthetics. However, I think the room will still be too "live" with paneling.

What would you do with the 3 cement walls and the framed fourth wall? Any ideas?

Thanks!

MattS

WMP

Comment

I guess it depends on what you're looking for... Do you want a truly "dead" room, with little reflected sound? I know one guy who carpeted his rehearsal room, then paneled the entire room with acoustic ceiling tiles. Looks pretty good, and is quiet as all get-out. Wedge-foam tiles are fairly easy to come by, too, and allow you to be more selective about the reflective properties of the room.

If you want it to sound "natural" with some reflected sound, you'll need to do some creative thinking. There are engineers who get paid lots of money to figure out solutions to problems just like this! If it were me, I'd want SOME reflected sound, and would probably frame the concrete walls with 2 X 2 or 2 X 4 laid flat, in order to maximize my space. Then, you could panel the walls & add selective sound dampening to the outside, while sandwiching insulation beneath the paneling to supress lower frequencies.

A guy I know has a pretty big "main" tracking room in his commercial studio, and built a great-looking bass trap from 1 X 4 planking mounted to a big sheet of plywood. Difficult to describe the technique here, but he used a propane torch to give the wood a soft "burnt" look, and most people now just think it is a decorative piece.

Think outside the box!

-Danny
        -Danny

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Comment

I'm trying to keep this thread alive to get as many ideas as possible. Hey Szvook, you have some sound proofing behind you in your pictures. Do you have any thoughts on this?

Feefer, What about you????

Marcperiod:

What about you???? I know you've got a lot of history behind you. What have you done for noise reduction?
          WMP

Comment

matts64

I dug this up from an old thread I responded to: http://www.800nonoise.com/products.htm

Marc. had brought up a material called sorbothane. Do a search on it.

Try these threads as well:
            http://www.vdrums.com/discussion/For...ML/000077.html http://www.vdrums.com/discussion/For...ML/000516.html http://www.vdrums.com/discussion/For...ML/000431.html http://www.vdrums.com/discussion/For...ML/000052.html http://www.vdrums.com/discussion/For...ML/000589.html

The dbproducts site has some materials which are not cheap, but do the job. At work, I have a cutting machine with a vacuum table which uses 2 ea 7.5 HP blowers. The noise was unbearable. We used some of the foam found on this site and enclosed the blowers with it on 3.5 sides. Now you can hold a normal conversation standing next to them. Downside: it's costly.
            Kit Pic 1 Kit Pic 2 Kit Pic 3... And FOR SALE I have: 3 PD-9's, MDS-10 purple rack w/cables/pad and cym mounts. See classified posts for details or PM me.

Comment

Boingo:

Thanks for your response. I checked all of the links as well as additional information that was given to me.

The name Auralex kept coming up. Man, that
              S(h)it's expensive! I looked at the NRC (noise reduction rating) for all of that stuff. It seems that the Armstrong Acoustic Ceiling Panels provided as much noise reduction according to the NRC as some of the other methods and is less expensive.

I will continue my research (and if others are interested will post it here). However, I think I may line the walls with acoustic panels. To create a more appealing finish, I've been looking at using material to cover the panels. You know, kind of like a cubicle wall type finish.

Thanks for your insight!

MattS
              WMP

Comment

Hello All,

Previous to purchasing my V-drums I considered the idea of creating a soundproof practicing area in my basement for acoustic drums. Since I live in an old townhome I had neighbors to think about. I did quite a bit of research and concluded the following:

True soundproofing of a room is not achievable without spending a ton of money. Basically I figured the cost to realistically soundproof my basement was equal to building a small garage on the back of my lot.

The best source of information was a Modern Drummer article in 1993 about an apartment dweller who built a drum booth in his living room. It was basically a wood and glass booth which was heavily insulated on the inside, built on top of concrete blocks, which fit his drums inside. It wasn't fully soundproof, but if I recall correctly he wrote that the volume level in the neighboring apartments wasn't more than a moderately loud stereo. It appeared to work for him, in any case.

You may still be able to order this issue from MD. I recall it has Anthrax's drummer on the cover. I have it at home; I'll look it up and post the actual issue number tomorrow.

Subsequent research indicated that for good results you have to create a room-within-a-room situation, where the sound is contained and there is a 'buffer' created by the space between the booth's walls and the actual room walls.

Too much work for me. I bought the V's instead.

DJourg

[This message has been edited by DJourg (edited December 03, 2001).]

Comment

Working...
                X