Announcement

Collapse

Lounge Posting Guidelines

E-DRUMMING DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST PRODUCT OR TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

The ultimate club upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The ultimate club upgrade

I have started building my drums. I don't have my cones from roland yet. I am averaging about $50 per drum.

"BEAT DRUMS, BEAT DRUMS"

[This message has been edited by Raffy85 (edited November 15, 2001).]

Comment

congrats, animal, you must be hyped. those drums look fantastic. are you still using a kd-7 or do you have plans to make a converted kick drum also? i highly recommend a mesh kick in terms of feel.

Comment

now that i look a little closer, i can see an additional mesh head edging into the frame on your steel shelf. looks like a mesh kick may be on the way.

Comment

Hi there Animal!
          That's a great Club-set you got! Little question.....how did you make your own toms? Like descripted (is that a "proper" english word????? ) on Beatnik's page???
          I really like them!
          Greetings, Cas
          DIY!!! www.mosphat.com/drumcas

Comment

I will be using 2 kd-7's. I do not like the feel of mesh kicks. The extra heads are for my other 2 toms. I do not have room for them until I upgrade my rack (and my room!). The drums are made from old toms that have been cut down to 4" deep. I am using ludwig modular lugs (rocker) and classic mounts. BTW, classic mounts will not fit on Roland's L-arms. I have to ream them out.

The drums will eventually be mounted on a Gibralter 350GC with a side extension. They will be recovered with a silver sparkle or black oyster pearl wrap. I borrowed my triiger mounting system from beatnik. The details can be found on my page.
            http://www.geocities.com/diyedrums

Is there any body out there who wants to trade a kd-7 or a cy-6 for 2 pd-6's?

Comment

God damn, McGyver! How inventive of you. If I'd had your initiative I may have done the same. Instead I shelled out the $$.

I Strongly suggest a Mesh Kick drum over a KD7! I'm still using a KD7 as my 3rd left foot pedal to play Clave & ****e. Not to mention my 5 prior years with two chained KD7's on doubley-bass. You can be much more expressive with a KD80 or KD120.

Caspar: 'Described', would be grammatically correct there .

------------------
              Thanx!
              -Alex & V's: http://photos.yahoo.com/flexapr
              Thanx. Alex & me V's! http://photos.yahoo.com/flexapr

Comment

Alex, thanks for the lesson!

Animal, where did you get your trigger-piezo-stuff? I'm looking in electro-stores over here but they can't help me. Amybe one of you guys can?

Comment

www.allelectronics.com

Erik
                  SEPdrums

Comment

now strictly speaking about look, with the bigger rack, the other toms u say u have and a set of hart cymbals(the closer to the real cymbal look) that set would look extremely amazing!!!!but i mean like a pieze of art hehe

(im not saying it dont look killer now though.. )
                    td-8

Comment

Originally posted by Caspar:
                      Alex, thanks for the lesson!

Animal, where did you get your trigger-piezo-stuff? I'm looking in electro-stores over here but they can't help me. Amybe one of you guys can?
                      You don't have a radio shack?

Comment

Animal, would your trigger system work with a 3" deep shell? What is the shallowest shell that would work, other than 4"? Or what about 6" diameter toms? Would that work? Thanks.

By the way, I currently use Arbiter Flats toms (12" and 14") Hart mesh heads and Ddrum triggers. Excellent triggering, but I want something smaller in the future for mixing with my acoustic kit. I have a 10" Flats tom, but the Ddrum trigger doesn't fit the rim profile...
                        "I'm not a guitarist, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night!"

Comment

Originally posted by animal:
                          You don't have a radio shack?
                          To be honest......what is a radio shack?
                          I thought it was an electronics-shop but apparently it isn't???
                          I looked at www.allelectronics.com an searched for piezo radio transducer and it came up withe several suggestions.....which one should I order???
                          Which one did you use?
                          Thanks again!!!!!!!
                          Greetings,
                          Cas

Comment

i dont think they have radio shacks on the netherlands right?
                            td-8

Comment

Originally posted by Stoovey:
                              Animal, would your trigger system work with a 3" deep shell? What is the shallowest shell that would work, other than 4"? Or what about 6" diameter toms? Would that work? Thanks.
                              The depth of the shell is determined by the size of the lugs. You can get really small lugs and make the shells 2.5" probably.

It would be really be hard to do a 6" tom. I decided against making an 8" because everything would be so cramped. you would have the get long enough L brackets to hit both lug holes and cut the top off to make room for your trigger plate.

Example:

6" shell 1/4" thick.
                              5.5" ID - 2.5" -2.5" = 0.5" left for trigger.

doesn't hardly work, does it?

Radio shack is indeed an electronics store http://www.radioshack.com

What you need is a piezo transducer. Not a piezo buzzer.
                              http://www.allelectronics.com/cgi-bi...-34&type=store

Comment

Working...
                              X