Announcement

Collapse

Lounge Posting Guidelines

E-DRUMMING DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST PRODUCT OR TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

Live concert recording next week

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Live concert recording next week

Hey all,

I just wanted to post about a live concert my chrurch group is doing next week as a fundraiser in Atlanta.

We are doing a "praise and worship" album live. We will be recording to a van outside the church, true multi-track...I will be using all 8 outs on the td-10ex brain. We are micing the audience as well so that we have the "sing-along" effect on "tape". We will then take the whole thing to "12-oaks" studio and mix it there, hopefully without adding or changing anything. We want it to be truely live.

So, why am I telling you this? Well...when we get it done, I will post some excerpts so that you all can hear it.

Anyone in Atlanta who is interested in going, it is at St. Ann's Catholic church in Marietta. The cost is $30, which gets you the concert, a copy of the CD when it is finished (probably December...we hope before Christmas), your name in the liner notes as an audience participant, and the rest of the money goes towards either purchasing or building a new Youth Camp in the North Georgia area. We will be doing probably about 20 songs...some of which won't make it to the CD...most of which you'd know if you listen to any Christian radio.

Anyway...just wanted to let you know that I am daring to do a live album using the V's and asking for you to "wish me luck" in getting them to be as good as they can be. Now I need to make another "kit" especially for this recording, which of course will be tweaked when we get there for live and recording sound purposes...but I need to get it to be as natural and dry as possible, so the guys at the studio can work with it really well.

That's all.
    redbrick
    My Updated Website: https://blades.technology

best of luck! let us know how it works out.

Comment

Indeed, good luck!

my two cents, which is pretty opinionated so take with a big grain of salt:

give them the cymbals dry, but don't be afraid to use your snare, toms, and kick the way you like them through good headphones.

The TD-10 exp sounds are superb on these, and frankly, the studio guys, probably wouldn't take the time to do justice to them if sent dry, unless the budget is big, and time is no issue.

They are going to hear what you send to them and go "that's perfect, we'll go with that. And you'll be happy.

If you give them dry, you'll want more out of it, and then you are stuck worrying if they are going to do anything at all, or get it right. And getting it right means the way you send it wet anyway.

The cymbals, on the other hand, are easy for a sound guy to work--they just add reverb, and their reverbs are better than the TD-10.

And they will be happy its all they need to do.

You have a big production going on, and drums always get short shrift. Send them what you like and take it from there.

Anyone else?
      Immensely powerful yet with a liquid cat-quick elegance

Comment

Agree with a lot of what gingerbaker is suggesting. Send 'em dry cymbals for sure, and I'd see if you can live without reverb or "ambience" on anything you can deal with. Otherwise, pick your sounds freely.

Just curious, are you gong to be sending the audience the same sounds as to tape? You are recording the audience too, so if you are sending them "wet" sounds, and dry to tape, the wet sounds may be picked up some and may present some challenges unless you mic carefully.

Also, redbrick, I should be in Atlanta next week unless something comes up. What day and time is your gig, in case I can make it?

Comment

Hey guys...thanks for the responses. The reason I say I will send all dry is that we will have some budget for the mix, and the studio is one we've worked at many times before (like five full-length CDs, recorded and mixed there, using Acoustics, though). Also, because of the size of the room and the number of open mics, there is going to be a certain amount of ambience on the drums anyway...I don't want them to have to try to remove anything...which of course they would never spend the time on, so the drums could end up swimming if I sent anything verb-wise.

Dr.K...the concert is next Friday at 7:30pm. Let me know if you will be able to make it and I will get you directions.

redbrick

Comment

Originally posted by gingerbaker:
            Anyone else?
            Yes.

Whatever happened to sound checks?

-Marc.

Comment

You can believe that we will have a soundcheck...to the nth degree. we are actually setting everything up the night before and will get the basic levels. Then, we will get there EARLY (noon) on Friday to get everything happening in the live sound system AND the recording sound system.

I am really looking forward to this. Like I said, I will be posting bits of the files so that you all can hear how it went, so that some faith (hopefully) will be renewed for those who think it can't be done well. BTW: we just have a board and the sound system...basic EQ on the board...no compressors, enhancers, etc, though the system itself is quite good, though mono - recording stereo though.

Anyone who can make it can back up whether or not it sounded good live, as well. I realize the $30 admission is pretty steep, but it is a fundraiser, and you do get a copy of the CD and the concert attendance in that cost, so it's not really bad in my opinion.

redbrick
              PS...if you do show up, please come up and introduce yourself to me...you'll know who I am because I will be playing the drums, but I won't know who you are unless you come up and say so!

Comment

Good luck, Redbrick. I hope to be drumming at events like that soon. I play in praise bands at two different churches and they both have "big plans". I hope they come to pass soon. Blow their socks off!!!

------------------
                TD-8, TD-7, Roland rack, Pintech AX14, ConcertCast and Roland PD-9/7/5 pads, Yamaha and Pintech cymbals, Dingbat, Nimrod, Vertikik & KD-7, FD-7 , DrumKat DK-10, Fender Bassman 60.......2000 Eclipse GS
                I'm a drummer. I don't play the timpani! Hire a percussionist!!!

Comment

Good luck, break a leg, and knock 'em dead, Redbrick! Play just like you play in rehearsal... If I have any advice, it is to make sure to keep your fills simple. What sounds cool live can sound cluttered when recorded. You'll do great!

-Danny
                  -Danny

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Comment

This is very "formula driven" stuff. I have been playing in the group for a long time and we have been complimented on several occasions about how "controlled" our sound is. We are very familiar with each other and the music, so we all pretty much only play what is neccessary, and a lot of it is purely "muscle memory" playing.

Thanks for the encourgaements
                    redbrick

Comment

Can't make Friday but I would come if it were Saturday. Why don't you move the whole event to Saturday for your old Arripal?

Comment

hmmmm
                        no.

Comment

So redbrick, how about a report on how your gig went?

Comment

Hi all...here's the update.

The concert went well...sorry none of you made it. We played for about 2 hours...20 songs (plus 2 encore that we may or may not keep). It was an interesting (if not a bit stressful) thing to do.

I set up my v-drums (td-10ex brain) with eight outputs to the recorder's multi-direct box, which went through to the house snake. I used these channels: hi-hat, kick, snare, ride, stereo pair of toms, stereo pair of cymbals.

For the most part, we were "mistake free", at least as close as it needed to be. I have one mistake that I would love to fix, but I think wee are only fading a part of that song for the CD anyway...we may cut and paste a bit in one section of the tune where I completly axed a fill. Aside from that, we are doing minimal editing...we want a very live feel.

We went to the studio today (12 Oaks in Smyrna...nice...been there before). They actually said that they almost preferred the E's for a live situation like this (with audience mics that will be brought in and out during the course of the show, but will be on most of the time) because of the fact that there is so much isolation without having to worry about gates and no bleed into the vocalist mics and the room/crowd mics. We did the transfers from Tascam da-88s to a Mackie D8b (I think)...digital...We will be doing the mixes in the next few days with a product hopefully ready before Christmas.

We had a good turn-out...about 600-700. Overall, I can't complain...and I'll be interested in what you all think of what we did...at least with the little teasers that I will be able to put up somewhere...maybe I'll make a sale of the CD or two (proceeds will go to the building of the camp - so it can be a write-off, I think) --- it will be a good testament to what can be done with the V's ... I hope !!!

redbrick

Comment

Sounds great, congratulations. I wish I had been able to be there.

Comment

Working...
                              X