Announcement

Collapse

Lounge Posting Guidelines

E-DRUMMING DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST PRODUCT OR TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

Doubt in Hart Dynamics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Doubt in Hart Dynamics

Man, I am having a bad day... Another Hart failure (the AcuSnare...)...

When I initially bought my Harts, I was quite impressed by the ruggedness of the hardware, drums, and even the E-cymbals. I had heard great things about Hart. Since then (about a year) I have had numerous problems.

1. A cracked E-cymbal. I sent it back, they sent a new on.

2. 2 kick drum failures. I fixed one, and then the next failure was beyond repair. I sent it back and they gave me a new one.

3. Another cracked E-cymbal. To "fix" that, I just turned the cybmal around and just dont hit that side any more... lame.

4. AcueSnare failure. The internal blue foam inside separated from the base. I just glued it back. But, man, the blue foam is deteriated as hell. It needs replacing.

5. Two kick-drum heads. My beaters wore them out.

6. The finish on the E-cymbals are wearing off around the edges - they are actually black underneath the golden finish.

Are these failures normal?? Should I just deal with it?? I only play about an 1/2 hour a day. I do play mostly hard-rock, but I don't pound on the things that hard...

I know Hart has the life-time warranty, but the $14 you have to pay plus the shipping plus the inconvience of not having my babies to play, really sucks.

Do I just have a lemon GigaPro?? Should I contact Hart and demand a new set?? I spent a lot of money on this kit and I expected much a longer life cycle.

Mike

------------------
    [email protected]
    My Hart Dynamics GigaPro (vintage 1999)

well having in mind what everybody says about hart, you should tell them to give u another one
    td-8

Comment

Originally posted by antinucci:

Are these failures normal?? Should I just deal with it?? I only play about an 1/2 hour a day. I do play mostly hard-rock, but I don't pound on the things that hard...
      funny, in your other post you say that you just broke the metal shaft of your DW pedal. i'd qualify that as playing pretty hard.

i would give hart a call and have a frank discussion about your equipment with peter hart. it may be that you do, in fact, play harder then your equipment is designed to withstand. nevertheless, i think the assumption is that quality drums should be able to withstand a variety of playing conditions is fair and that you are entitled to a functional product in exchange for your money.

Comment

Originally posted by digitsone:
        funny, in your other post you say that you just broke the metal shaft of your DW pedal. i'd qualify that as playing pretty hard
        To be fair, I've broken one of those myself and upon re-telling the story heard of several others encountering the same thing. I suspect that it is a design flaw, and there can be relatively weak spots created in the manufacture of the grooves. I would not conclude that anyone is this or that because they break one. That product just breaks, or at least that's my story and I'm sticking with it. I've been playing for decades and put a lot of miles on equipment and have never broken a beater shaft but that one. (I've wore out straps, chains, rivets, etc., eventually, but nothing like that.) My $.02.

However, some of the other things suggest the possibility of a heavy hand. Have you considered scaling back the lumber, or are you already using lighter sticks with the e's? It would be somewhat of a drag to vary your playing style drastically between e's and a's, but a little lighter approach with a little lighter stick might be something to think about.

[This message has been edited by dr. kildrum (edited November 11, 2001).]

Comment

I am of the opinion that sticks other than 7A and 5A are too big for electronic drums. These weren't made to be bashed as hard as you might play acoustics.

I've never had any beater shaft breakage, and would think it means either playing too hard or a bad part that warrants replacement.

As far as the worn heads, that's normal. Heads wear out through normal use, whether on electronic or acoustic drums. It's certainly not a design flaw with Hart.

Finally, the finish wearing off on the cymbals, I can see how that would happen. It's just the way things are. When sticks hit things, they wear the tings and the sticks, little by little.
          "I'm not a guitarist, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night!"

Comment

IMO the Hart heads are THE strongest mesh heads made. I have played all of them and Hart Kontrol Screen double ply mesh heads are super stout.

The problems you had with the drums are annoying, yes, but are part of owning technology. The failures could have been poor material runs, etc... With the thousands of Acupads and snares out there, if this was normal, Hart would not survive. Since they have been around for many years, it is obvious that you have gotten some components that may have some defects in some of the material compositions.

I also suggest calling PH about the problems. They have a new triggering technology out called T3. I would ask about upgrades.

Let us know how it turns out. I am confident you will have a happy resolution.

Erik
            SEPdrums

Comment

Originally posted by Stoovey:
              I am of the opinion that sticks other than 7A and 5A are too big for electronic drums.
              Sorry, I disagree.

Geez, I am becoming more and more argumentative lately.
              Steve

'I only ever quote myself - except when I quote someone else' - me

, plenty of , and , , triggered acoustics, , and a plethora of PA blah blah freakin blah...I mean does anyone care about the specifics of pedals, speakers, processors, hardware or anything that I'm using?? :confused: Hmmm, maybe this is an appropriate place to mention that I tried out a new cymbal stand the other day...

Comment

i'd have to agree. i use 2B's on my kit and it has worked great so far for me. then again, i have a pretty light touch, notwithstanding the large sticks i prefer.

as for the DW pedal, that's news to me. i have used DW pedals for 10 years and never had any trouble. i am definitely of the opinion their hardware quality control has gone down of the years, though, and i could certainly imagine a bad batch of beaters making it out onto the market.

Comment

Originally posted by antinucci:

Man, I am having a bad day... Another Hart failure (the AcuSnare...)...

When I initially bought my Harts, I was quite impressed by the ruggedness of the hardware, drums, and even the E-cymbals. I had heard great things about Hart. Since then (about a year) I have had numerous problems.

1. A cracked E-cymbal. I sent it back, they sent a new on.

2. 2 kick drum failures. I fixed one, and then the next failure was beyond repair. I sent it back and they gave me a new one.

3. Another cracked E-cymbal. To "fix" that, I just turned the cybmal around and just dont hit that side any more... lame.

4. AcueSnare failure. The internal blue foam inside separated from the base. I just glued it back. But, man, the blue foam is deteriated as hell. It needs replacing.

5. Two kick-drum heads. My beaters wore them out.

6. The finish on the E-cymbals are wearing off around the edges - they are actually black underneath the golden finish.

Do I just have a lemon GigaPro?? Should I contact Hart and demand a new set?? I spent a lot of money on this kit and I expected much a longer life cycle.

Mike
                  Unbelieveable, Dude! Yes, you're playing way too hard! No, those failures are totally uncommon to most drummers.

Questions: Have you ever taken drum lessons & learned Matched or Traditional Grip on your Drumstix? If not, Do So. I think you're holding your sticks like clubs (in a fist). That's how I played for the 1st 10 mos. I used to destroy Ambassador snare heads on my Acoustic snare. I used nothing but wrists and elbow flexion.

Your Feet, do they pivot at the ankle, or do you just slam the ball of your foot onto the pedal for a single hit?

Most peeps don't realize it takes years to build yer little calf flexors (shin muskels) & Fulcrum (hand muskels). Read this: http://www.vdrums.com/discussion/For...ML/000740.html

------------------
                  Thanx!
                  -Alex
                  Thanx. Alex & me V's! http://photos.yahoo.com/flexapr

Comment

I still have faith in Hart's mesh heads, but have gone back to ALL roland pads and cymbals (CY-14, 15's).

IMO the Rolands gave me the best stick feel and dynamics, and the best durability (but the Hart's ecymbs did look cool - I'll still use the ecymbal Splash).

Just can't afford any prob's on the road.

(TD-10 w/ exp)
                    TD-10/TDW-1vc, 3-PD120, 2-PD100, 2-PD80, 2-KD7, 3-14C, 2-15R, SPD-20, 2-ECymbal II splash, 1-ECymbal II china, 2-IronCobra kicks, 1 angry ex-wife.

:eek: " I see drum people"

Comment

Working...
                    X