Announcement

Collapse

Lounge Posting Guidelines

E-DRUMMING DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST PRODUCT OR TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

Tabla sounds in td-10 ex

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tabla sounds in td-10 ex

I am still demoing kits and I demoed the td-8 yesterday and really liked the Tabla kit (I liked all the percussion sounds in fact). I could not find a kit with Tabla sounds on the td-10ex kit. I am sure they are there, I would be grateful if someone told me how to dial them up. I appreciate it.

halfnote

Found em'. Thanks. For those that may search in the future they make up the Far East kit. But I don't believe the Far East kit shows up after the expansion. So if you don't know how to get to the initial kits, you won't find the Far East kit..which is what my problem was.

Comment

I do not know if any of you would want this but i could put here real tals (riffs), like teen tal (the basic groove of tabla)and how i assigned the bols (notes) to the pads.

Comment

Originally posted by cpgrossman:
        I do not know if any of you would want this but i could put here real tals (riffs), like teen tal (the basic groove of tabla)and how i assigned the bols (notes) to the pads.

Sounds extremely interesting. Please, post them tals!

Stu
        "Fry that sound effect, Moriarty, we're having it for breakfast"

Comment

Right Arm! A Teen Tal Tabla Tool.
          Immensely powerful yet with a liquid cat-quick elegance

Comment

That would be great cp!

Comment

would love it if you could

Comment

cp, please do! thx.

Comment

Please all, Im sorry for the late reply.Djorg hiped me to the fact that there was a postive reply. This could take posts over several days or more.please post if i do not explane things clearly. First the drums themselfs. A set of two drums is a set of tablas. The small drum on the right is called the tabla, it is like the snare drum.the larger drum on the left is called baya, its nickname is the duggi. We will call it the duggi. the duggi is like the bass drum. a note is called a bol.In side the v-drums for the tabla patch you see many bols.We will first start with bols of the right hand. the v,s list # 466 thru 470 as, tabla #466 na,467 tin, 468 tun,469 te, 470 ti. na and tin will be our main notes for now. tun is like a accent and te and ti are for fills. ( more on tun,te and ti later) We now need to put the bols on the pads. this is what i did you might want to put them other places. the way roland put them on the pads was no good so i did this. snare rim-na,snare head tin,tom 1 tun ,crash 1 rim ti,crash 1 head te. now to get to some playing. on the snare play na na tin tin , na na tin tin. SAY THE BOLS WITH YOU MOUTH WHEN YOU PLAY THIS !!!!. Now try na tin tun, na tin tun.our riffs for to day-- 1. na na tin tin,na na tin tin (1,2,3,4-1,2,3,4) 2. na tin tun, na tin tun (1,2,3-1,2,3). next time the bols of the left hand. puting them on the pads and some riffs for the duggi.---clay

Comment

Sweet! We have a tabla guru! I was just wondering about this post today as I was listening to some awesome tabla work by Kumar Bose.

Thanks..

Comment

please i an no guru, my teacher 10 years younger than myself makes Indian people dance for joy when he plays. I cannot even play sitarkchanital 16 matra 4+4+4+4 the hard version after 2 years---clay

Comment

Here is the next part.First please speak the bols as you play them.second please post if you have a problem.Next when i say bols for left or right hand i mean on the tabla A's.On the tabla E's hand to hand or whatever might be easer for you. here is a new review for right hand na,tin,tun,na (1,2,3,4,)tun and na make for for a very musical sound, and is very easy for a westerner to speak (tuna ?).there are other funny sounding bols like ge "pronounced gay" which leads me to another problem .roland names the bols diffrently than what i was taught.case in point ge,which roland calls sl??!!. On the roland patch for tabla sounds #471 thru 474 are called,#471 bayage, 472 bayaka,473 bayagin,474 bayasl. If you remember the bayas nickname is the duggi.On my kit i have gin on tom 2,ka on tom 3,sl on tom 4 and on the kick.a theka is a arrangement of bols.You might call it a riff. Here is a theka for the left hand, gin ,ka,ge,sl-gin,ka,ge,sl (1,2,3,4-1,2,3,4)If you are having problems please post--clay

Comment

clay -

thanks again for posting these. so far it seems pretty easy, although i am probably making mistakes. what speed do you normally play these at? also, the second theka for tabla (na tin tun) - do you play it in 3/4 or 4/4 with a rest on the 4?

i wish i had time to learn tabla, also. maybe some day ...

Comment

Dgit:like your reg drumming,the tempo thats easyer for you, yes 3/4 time is right.Sounds like you have it.--clay

Comment

More, please.

Do you play right and left at the same time? how about some rhythms that use both?

Some may be interested in a book titled 'Drum Set Adaptations of North Indian Tabla' by Jerry Leake. It was $12 on Amazon.com the last time I looked.

Might be of help. DJourg.

[This message has been edited by DJourg (edited October 25, 2001).]

Comment

Working...
                              X