Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Weird Revelation on Kick Technique

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weird Revelation on Kick Technique

Was playing tonight and discovered that if I raise all the toes on my kick foot and use the ball of that foot to contact the pedal board, that I suddenly did not have a problem playing 16ths. It's as if I suddenly regained control of my foot after it's been paralyzed all this time! It's really unbelievable!! Has anyone a clue as to why my foot seems paralized with my toes down, yet with toes up, I have much more control over it?

Who'da thunk it?!

That's because it is then difficult to tense the top muscles in your thighs and your knees (the stronger ones). You can do it without literally holding your toes back if you concentrate on which muscles you are inhibiting, and just work on not tensing them. Playing with the ball of your foot is a good idea though IMO.

Comment

Thanks for the reply, Doc. It just sems so strange, it's like I have power steering there, or something, when I lift up my toes. I'll have to start paying attention to the muscle groups I'm using and see if I can work at not tensing up my thigh muscles.

Thanks again,
      Bob

Comment

Pictured here, young Intern Kildrum demonstrates his latest revelation on kick technique. Initially discouraged because his feet do not reach the pedals, he has discovered that he can literally kick the bass drum, triggering it crudely but effecively.

You may also notice that he chokes way back on his sticks...I have learned that this is done to maximize reach and power. And at eighteen months, he has very impressive posture, control and accuracy and plays evenly between left and right hands.

Comment

Say, would he be available for some session work?

I was planning to cover some ELP tunes, and he looks all ready to tackle Tarkus!

------------------
          www.mp3.com/entrylevel
          Dan's Music Site; melodic, ethereal rock and more! Please have a listen :^)

Comment

Great shot Dr K!

You must be one proud Papa. And what a wonderful smile on your son's face. Hope you don't mind - I'm saving this to disk. You should send the photo to Modern Drummer or Roland - they'd love it.
            Immensely powerful yet with a liquid cat-quick elegance

Comment

Originally posted by Dan the Speakerman:
              Say, would he be available for some session work...
              Not quite yet, but I have rolled tape a couple of times, and have captured what I would call flashes of brilliance (happy accidents). I think I'll sneak one or two into a track some time and call it our first collaberation.

Comment

Originally posted by gingerbaker:
                Great shot Dr K!

You must be one proud Papa. And what a wonderful smile on your son's face. Hope you don't mind - I'm saving this to disk. You should send the photo to Modern Drummer or Roland - they'd love it.
                Thanks! You called it, I'm as proud a Papa as you're likely to find. Feel free to share the pic with anyone you like.

Comment

Nice pic Dr. K

May I suggest a pair of platform shoes (as per early KISS)? May help them toes reach the pedals.

Comment

I am going to save it as my wall paper~~~~
                    very very cute!!

Comment

OK Doc, you started it, here is my 4 year old. Maybe they can get together for an all night jam session.
                      http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/davidrobe...rc=ph%26.view= l

Comment

I guess I'll joing in...

21 month old kicking double bass!

[This message has been edited by animal (edited November 03, 2001).]

Comment

Right on! The Kid's Photo Thread! Here's my six year old, Kendall on a then-unfinished Club kit:

Nice pix, y'all! Cute kids!

Are we prepared to do a gallery of all of US?

------------------
                          www.mp3.com/entrylevel
                          Dan's Music Site; melodic, ethereal rock and more! Please have a listen :^)

Comment

These guys are ahead of me. I see Moller and double kicks, V drums, practice rooms. I don't have any kids but it's great you guys are posting pics of them playing our favorite instrument. They need daddy to teach them well and show them how music can be a lot of fun. Some of the best drummers in the world had supportive parents and an early start on the drums.

Comment

drumsonly2002, you couldn't be more right. i think you guys are all great for sharing your music with your young kids. it's a great gift to be able to share and one that they will all thank you for one day!

Comment

Working...
                              X