Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just finished watching Jim Chapin's vid: Speed, Power and Technique...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just finished watching Jim Chapin's vid: Speed, Power and Technique...

The man really is something to watch! It's amazing how fluent he is, and how he can switch so effortlessly from his preferred trad grip to matched and play the same demonstrations. Not to mention all the different grips he shows like German tympani, French, and several others.

His speed and control are amazing, but his accents are impeccable!

Thanks for the tip, Dr. K...this was a CLIINIC on the Moeller technique as well as at least showing several others, different ways of holding the sticks and moving the fulcrum around, and lots more. Just a wealth of info, here.

I'd like to share a couple of quotes from the closing moments of this tape, in the context of working on technique IS important, but not ALL there is:

"There's no sense in becoming a technical giant if you're not a musical giant....Some of the best players I know really can't play DRUMS that well, but they play MUSIC superlatively well." -Jim Chapin

------------------
    www.mp3.com/entrylevel
    Dan's Music Site; melodic, ethereal rock and more! Please have a listen :^)

solid advice. technique is just a means to an ends. your playing should only be limited by the reaches of your mind!

Comment

True true! Another good quote:

"Technique is the servant of the imagination." -Neil Peart

------------------
      www.mp3.com/entrylevel

Comment

Jim's one of the best. I like that quote, and someone like Jim lends so much credibility to a statement like that. He is a technical giant, but can quite humbly put things in perspective like that. Play music. There are plenty of roads leading to similar places.

That's another great thing about Jim as a teacher. At any level, something can always be taken away. Ten things might be missed for every one, but go back in a year and review the material again, book, video whatever, there will be something else. Great stuff. Inspires you to stretch but then reminds you not to take yourself all too seriously...cool.

Comment

Another great quote, this one's from Jon Hiseman:
          "Play the song, not the drums."

Chapin is a monster teacher, even the most proficient player can learn a truckload of tricks from him. Mind-boggling.

Stu
          "Fry that sound effect, Moriarty, we're having it for breakfast"

Comment

Was at a clinic of his 2 years ago.
            Highly reccomended for any player at any technical level.

A real inspiration....
            Mick
            www.royfulton.co.uk, www.zendrum.com ,Tempus Drums, Istanbul Agop, Regal Tip, Alesis DMPro, D4,Garageband, HK Powerworks PA

Comment

Jim Chapin is my all time favorite instructional drummer! I worked on his video, then happen to go to his clinic. He personally "fine tuned" what I was doing with Moller. Jim is a top notch teacher. I'll always be grateful every time I play the drums in how he helped my sticking and playing all around. Jim cuts to the chase and gets into excellent technique for power accents and fast accurate sticking with a lot less effort. He is truly amazing. If I didn't see it with my own eyes I'd never believe how it's anyone could play like that. He is one of a kind. A truly classy and cutting edge drummer. Was a great honor to have met him and have his influence effect my drumming in such a positive way. In the clinic I was sitting 5' directly in front of him! After the clinic he took the time to personally instruct me. I would trade all my years of playing to have one clinic with Jim. He's added a joy to my drumming that I would never know if it wasn't for him. A giant of a drummer, a giant of a man.

[This message has been edited by Drumsonly2002 (edited October 30, 2001).]

Comment

Great story, Drumsonly...thanks for sharing!

------------------
                www.mp3.com/entrylevel

Comment

Working...
                X