Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

TD-8 and MIDI (Help..............)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TD-8 and MIDI (Help..............)

I have a TD-8 as well as an Alesis Dmpro. I am using all of the pad inputs on my TD-8, and want to hook a few triggers up to the Dmpro and trigger the TD-8 sounds via MIDI. I can set the MIDI channel and the MIDI note numbers to send on the Dmpro, but I dont know how to change any of the sounds assigned to the corresponding note numbers on the TD-8. I'll give you a scenario on what I would like to accomplish:

A trigger cymbal connected to the Dmpro is hit and sends out MIDI note C1 to the TD-8. Then, I would like the sound of the cymbal to come ONLY out of the TD-8, and I would like to be able to select the sound that is played when MIDI note C1 is received.

Is this possible, and if so, could I get someones input on the best way to accomplish this? I've scoured the Manual and don't see anything listed on this topic. Any help at all would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks
    Vaigod

I don't have a TD-8, but on a TD-10, there are 4 percussion groups. The instruments in the percussio groups are assignable like you are after. Does the TD-8 have one or more percussion groups too? If so and if they can be assigned, problem solved.

Comment

Vaigod,

If you want to use midi to trigger additional sounds independent of the 50 preset TD8 kits, you will have to use the percussion sets. The TD8 has 2 percussion sets that can be edited. To edit a percussion set, go to the first free pattern you have (probably pattern 701)

Now press Part (F2) -> Setup (Down, F2)

Press down, to select Perc Set and use the dial to select number 11 or 12. These are the two editable percussion sets.

Press Inst (F3). You will now see the sounds that are associated with each midi note. You can change all of the sounds here.

This method has one big drawback. Each time you want to use a specific percussion set you will have to make sure that a pattern is active that uses that percussion set. In our example, you will have to select pattern 701 before you begin.

Of course, you can also do it the other way around. You can edit the midi notes that the Dmpro sends.

In any case, you'll be dependent on the percussion sets. Page 184/185 of the manual contains an overview of the Preset Percussion Sets.

But wait... there is a third option.

If you do not use all of the trigger inputs of your TD8, you can program the Dmpro to send midi notes that correspond to the midi notes of the preset drum kits. The default midi note for each trigger can be found in the last column of the Preset Percussion Set List. The big advantage here is that the sounds you trigger can be programmed for each individual kit!

If you use this option, make sure that CH10 Priority is set to Kit (Setup -> Midi -> Global -> Page 1) Otherwise incoming midi notes will be mapped to the active percussion set, instead of the active kit.

Pheeeww... I hope I didn't give you an information overload. I have done a lot of work on this and wanted to give you all of the options.

If anybody else knows other approaches...

Rob

Comment

Rob,

Thanks alot for your help and suggestions. I have, however noticed something really odd after I followed your instructions..... I can get instruments to sound, but only the instruments of the current Drumkit. If I change the channel 10 Priority to "Perc" then I get nothing. I still see the red "trigger" light come on when I trigger the Dmpro, but no sounds. I made sure that the user pattern (701) was selected while doing this, and even tried every MIDI note out from the Dmpro. Still no go. Until that is, I change the channel 10 Priority from "perc" to "kit" but then I can only hear the same sounds already assigned to the pads. Incedentally, I have all of my trigger inputs used. When I finally get my Midi setup problems worked out, I will also have 12 of the 16 triggers of the Dmpro used as well. It's a big kit. If there is something stupid that I have missed in the setup please let me know. Im relatively new to MIDI, and I will be open to just about any suggestions.

Thanks again for the Info,
        Vaigod

[This message has been edited by vaigod777 (edited October 28, 2001).]

Comment

UPDATE TO MY PLIGHT:

I just figured out why the Percussion groups wouldnt sound. I didnt have any Data set inside the user patern 701. I copied over one of the intro patterns and VOILA!!! the instrument sounds were there, and they were editable as well. I am now well on my way to finishing up my 32 trigger kit. Thanks again Rob, your insight is what started me fiddling with the pattern settings and got me on track. VIVA LA E-DRUMS!!!!!

Vaigod

Comment

Originally posted by vaigod777:
            I didnt have any Data set inside the user patern 701. I copied over one of the intro patterns and VOILA!!! the instrument sounds were there, and they were editable as well.
            Great! I didn't know that was necessary, I may have done that without realising it.

BTW, thinking about this has solved the "How do I trigger the closed hihat sound when using a double bass" quest for me!

I use a Yamaha DD50 connected with Midi to my TD8. I have programmed one of the pads to send midi note F#2, which corresponds to the closed hihat sound. This way I can trigger the closed hihat sound of the active kit independant of the state of the hihat pedal.
            Very cool.

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Pleiadian:
              [B] Great! I didn't know that was necessary, I may have done that without realising it.

BTW, thinking about this has solved the "How do I trigger the closed hihat sound when using a double bass" quest for me!

Thats Great, two problems solved at the same time!!!

Vaigod

Comment

Working...
              X