Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Use of proper English.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Use of proper English.

Hello. I am English. I know how to speak English. I do not take the piss out of other people who cannot spell or use the English language quite as well as I can. To be fair, it is not only non-naturalised English speakers who are at fault, it is often Americans too. Please don't be upset at people who don't spell very well or use English grammar perfectly. Look back at your own messages, you've probably wanked it up somewhere yourself. After all, most of you speak an inferior brand of the language, don't you?

Schmunk

p.s. I used to respect BINARY. Now I'm not so sure...
    TD-8, Pintech pads, Pearl rack, Mackie SRM-450, Behringer 802 mixer and DSP1400 UltraMizer, Electric Sticks.

was u tukin bout fela? i sPeeK ingliesh good!
    Steve

'I only ever quote myself - except when I quote someone else' - me

, plenty of , and , , triggered acoustics, , and a plethora of PA blah blah freakin blah...I mean does anyone care about the specifics of pedals, speakers, processors, hardware or anything that I'm using?? :confused: Hmmm, maybe this is an appropriate place to mention that I tried out a new cymbal stand the other day...

Comment

Excerpt from a recent BINARY post......
      -----------------------------------------
      I don't have an answer, but I'd be fairly annoyed if I found out that any of these tired geezers had some moral or traditional delema with Electronic drums.
      -----------------------------------------

Now correct me for not done spelled english well, but isn't "delema" actually spelt "dilemma"?

Oh how the mighty (and stupidly proud) have fallen!

How did the other famous BINARY quote go "Put down your drumsticks and pick up an English book"

Comment

Troll troll troll troll, troll troll troll troll... etc. etc. ad nauseam

Schmunk
        TD-8, Pintech pads, Pearl rack, Mackie SRM-450, Behringer 802 mixer and DSP1400 UltraMizer, Electric Sticks.

Comment

Originally posted by Harlock:

Hello. I am French. I know how to speak French. I do not take the piss out of other people who cannot spell or use the French language quite as well as I can... After all, most of you speak an inferior brand of the language, don't you?

Harlock

Qu'est-ce que tout celà peut bien vouloir dire??????
          donc ... eeehhh ... je sais pas!

Comment

Hello. I am English. I know how to speak German. And I will. I mach mich nicht lustig über die die der Deutschen Sprache nicht besonders mächtig sind, es ist nicht ihre schuld. Sie sind nicht Deutsch. Vielen Dank für's lesen dieser Nachricht, wir senden Sie jetzt zurück zu unserer regulär angekündigten Sendung.
            Tief gemauert in der Erde steht die Form aus Lehm gebrannt.
            Heut noch soll die Glocke werden, frisch, Gesellen, seid zur Hand!

Stu,
            wir haben keine Bananen, Bananen, die haben wir nicht!
            "Fry that sound effect, Moriarty, we're having it for breakfast"

Comment

May I humbly attempt to bring this matter to a close......

Assuming that there was such a person out there both bored and qualified enough to "grade" our assemblage of posts with the proverbial red magic marker, I'm afraid we'd be seeing quite a few more failing marks than passing ones. All around.

Is literacy important? Without a doubt. But I think what matters more here in V-Drumworld is whether or not someone is getting their point across. Take a person like Putt, for example. Here's a fellow who's Dutch and at the same time a prolific (1500+ posts) and respected contributor to the group. Are all his posts phonetically and grammatically correct? Absolutely not. But are his posts understood? Are they conveying a clear message and intent? Most definitely (unless, of course, he's had too many beers ).

In the world of impersonal electronic communication it's what you say and not necessarily how you say it, folks.

So, topsay itchingbay about pellingsay, okay?

Or, to paraphrase the only man who walked the earth without making a single spelling error: "Let he among you who is without bad syntax cast the first stone."

Cheers!

Mick
              TD-30 / SPD-SX

Comment

How's about you get a 17" monitor, (and) use 1280x1024 resolution. Then maybe the spelling and syntax won't matter so much?

[This message has been edited by HolShot (edited October 18, 2001).]

Comment

Arf arf....

Schmunk

Comment

Wouldn't it be nice if everyone posted, no matter how bad the spelling. We'd get users from all over!
                    Good point, in that way my English would look good

Je parle un petit peux Francais, ich spreche ein bichen Deutsch, ik praat Nederlands(godverdomme) and I can speak English

------------------
                    http://mpcman.flappie.nl
                    Music was my first love...

Comment

Mi English techer didnt learner me too gooderer

------------------
                      Ted H.
                      www.tocsinrocks.com
                      Ted H.

Comment

...I get lots of messages from french users that are afraid to post, so they read the treads and ask me questions through e-mail...
                        That's unfortunate because the logical extension of that is that some questions probably don't get asked at all, and we are all deprived of their company and experience. Please encourage them to post. If they accidently say something goofy or unintended, so what? This is cyberspace. In addition to that, most will understand. The rest...

In general I think that if anyone challenges an idea here, they are fairly safe from personal attack. It is when they take on an individual in a more direct manner that trouble sometimes starts.

Comment

Originally posted by Schmunk:
                          Hello. I am English. I know how to speak English. I do not take the piss out of other people who cannot spell or use the English language quite as well as I can. To be fair, it is not only non-naturalised English speakers who are at fault, it is often Americans too. Please don't be upset at people who don't spell very well or use English grammar perfectly. Look back at your own messages, you've probably wanked it up somewhere yourself. After all, most of you speak an inferior brand of the language, don't you?

Schmunk

p.s. I used to respect BINARY. Now I'm not so sure...
                          Hellu. I em Ingleesh. I knoo hoo tu speek Ingleesh. I du nut teke-a zee peess oooot ooff oozeer peuple-a vhu cunnut spell oor use-a zee Ingleesh lungooege-a qooeete-a es vell es I cun. Tu be-a feur, it is nut oonly nun-netooreleesed Ingleesh speekers vhu ere-a et foolt, it is oofftee Emereecuns tuu. Pleese-a dun't be-a upset et peuple-a vhu dun't spell fery vell oor use-a Ingleesh gremmer perffectly. Bork bork bork! Luuk beck et yuoor oovn messeges, yuoo'fe-a prubebly vunked it up sumoohere-a yuoorselff. Effter ell, must ooff yuoo speek un inffereeur brund ooff zee lungooege-a, dun't yuoo?

Hewwo. I am Engwish. I know how to speak Engwish. I do not take the piss out of othew peopwe who cannot speww ow use the Engwish wanguage qwite as weww as I can, uh-hah-hah-hah. To be faiw, it is not onwy non-natuwawised Engwish speakews who awe at fauwt, it is often Amewicans too. Pwease don't be upset at peopwe who don't speww vewy weww ow use Engwish gwammaw pewfectwy. Wook back at youw own messages, you've pwobabwy wanked it up somewhewe youwsewf. Aftew aww, most of you speak an infewiow bwand of the wanguage, don't you?

--------

I have too much free time...

- Hans

- Hans

Comment

Originally posted by dr. kildrum:
                            ...I get lots of messages from french users that are afraid to post, so they read the treads and ask me questions through e-mail...
                            That's unfortunate because the logical extension of that is that some questions probably don't get
                            asked at all, and we are all deprived of their company and experience. Please encourage them to post. If they accidently say something goofy or unintended, so what? This is cyberspace. In addition to that, most will understand. The rest...

In general I think that if anyone challenges an idea here, they are fairly safe from personal attack. It is when they take on an individual in a more direct manner that trouble sometimes starts.

What those afraid to post here should also know is that probably the majority of us will answer your questions by e-mail as good as we can if you're too afraid to post here, whatever reason. If there are German readers of this forum who think their English isn't good enough, I'll help them, I speak the language fluently.
                            Falls es Deutsche Leser dieses Forums gibt, die der Englischen Sprache nicht sehr mächtig sind, ihr könnt mich per E-mail erreichen, ich werde Eure Fragen so gut es geht versuchen zu beantworten. Meine E-Mail Adresse steht in meinem Profil.

As far as all you people go who may be scared to post here, please post your questions. That's what this place is there for. We're drummers, we're in this together!

Stu
                            who misses his old bachelor pad in Hamburg-St Pauli.

[This message has been edited by mcconaghy (edited October 18, 2001).]
                            "Fry that sound effect, Moriarty, we're having it for breakfast"

Comment

I can say that I speak spanish really good, so anyone who needs help ask me, Im from argentina so I say " vos" instead of "tu" ( that means you) but that doesn't matter
                              td-8

Comment

Working...
                              X