Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

JBL ION 15" or Mackie SRM 450's - which is best

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JBL ION 15" or Mackie SRM 450's - which is best

Starting to play small to medium clubs.

Which is better sounding the new JBL Ions (15" woofer), or the tried and proven Mackie SRM 450's (12" woofer)

Need to buy a setup right away, and want the BEST (both are about the same price).

thanks
    TD-10/TDW-1vc, 3-PD120, 2-PD100, 2-PD80, 2-KD7, 3-14C, 2-15R, SPD-20, 2-ECymbal II splash, 1-ECymbal II china, 2-IronCobra kicks, 1 angry ex-wife.

:eek: " I see drum people"

Very similar, both great. You decide.

Comment

Uh, who was saying something about a FAQ forum? Or should I say VFAQ?

And that's "V" as in "Very".....
      TD-30 / SPD-SX

Comment

I have 2 Mackie 450 and LOVE them

Comment

the 450's have a better and clearer sound than the Eon's. No doubt about it. If you have the ability(money) to go with a sub as well i would use 2 450's and a 1500 sub for best sound quality. The Eon's are bit more muddy than the the 450's but they have the 15in woofer and and have a deeper bass response so if your limited to only two cabinets buy the eon's. If you can afford 3 cabinets go with the the mackies. I've demoed both and there is no question, the mackies sound the best(by far) but cant go as low as the eons.
          -Drumlogic, V-session, Visulite/roland cymbals, (2)Mackie srm-450's, bbe 482 sonic maximizer,

Comment

I have two eon's

They work for me nice sound, all the stage volume I could ask for

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by drumlogic:
              [B]the 450's have a better and clearer sound than the Eon's

I'm thinking I may just "go for it" and buy the SR1530's (start with 1 for now), that may give me the clearer Mackie sound with the low-end benefit from the 15" woof along with 100 more watts!. (and is probably cheaper than buying the 450 + the sub.)

Here's another PLUS:
              Setup (2) SR1530's (in stereo)in front of you (just like a live setup).

For playing live, aim them toward the crowd with the Left cab wired to L on the brain and the Right cab to R. (stereo)

Then for monitoring (practicing) you can have the cabs aimed towards the drums and reverse the L R outs at the TD-10 to practice in stereo!. (that way you get the natural drum positional feedback and feel - just like the PM setup - and you here it just the way the crowd will here it live).

Does that sound good? (add a small effects rack with preamp, BBE, and a MPX1 out to the cabs and call 'er good).
              TD-10/TDW-1vc, 3-PD120, 2-PD100, 2-PD80, 2-KD7, 3-14C, 2-15R, SPD-20, 2-ECymbal II splash, 1-ECymbal II china, 2-IronCobra kicks, 1 angry ex-wife.

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by drumlogic:
                [B]the 450's have a better and clearer sound than the Eon's. No doubt about it

Just a clarification please. Are you comparing the 450's to the EonG2's or the standard Eons?

[This message has been edited by V-Junkie (edited October 06, 2001).]

Comment

Vjunkie,

Nobody else here, to my knowlege, uses the 1530's, although I also thought they might be nice. If you go that way, please let us know how they work out.

I think others here expressed valid resevations about them: they are heavy, more expensive, and can't be mounted on stands.

Playing drums in stereo is nice, but not crucial, and therefore a SRM-450 or G2 combined with the SRS-1500 may be the same money, with a (probably) better low end.

If you can compare the the two set ups, it would be real interesting to hear your opinion!

P.S. - I went with the G2's. You can get them new for a lot less than the SRM-450's, they play louder, and I really appreciate the three inputs (two types), and tone controls.

The Mackies have more clarity and a flatter frquency response, though.
                  Immensely powerful yet with a liquid cat-quick elegance

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by gingerbaker:
                    [B]Vjunkie,

Nobody else here, to my knowlege, uses the 1530's, although I also thought they might be nice. If you go that way, please let us know how they work out.
                    Thanks for your input. It's a really tough decision (almost as hard as the V-pro, V-Concert w/ upgrade , V-Session decision).

I will definetely let you know if I get the 1530's (I need to check the weight issue - I think the specs said 110 lbs./ea. - yuk.)

I guess I've always looked at the G2s and 450's as PM speakers instead of SR speakers and need to realize these might just do it after all. (I believe that more power - whether you use it or not - is better - for overall punch - just like a car audio system). I just dont want to feel "naked" on stage if you know what I mean.

What did you pay for your G2's?

Comment

I bought my G2 locally, so I paid significantly more than others here at Vdrums.com who purchased theirs at discounters. I believe they can be had for about $540.00.

I have a G2 and the Mackie powered subwoofer. We anticipate playing small and medium size clubs, as well as weddings, etc.

Right now we plan on using the two speakers as the sole sound source for the drums, without going through our FOH monitors.(Which happen to be two G2's - our lead guitar player heard mine and immediately bought two!)

We practice in a 6000 square foot space, and the set-up really fills the room!
                      Immensely powerful yet with a liquid cat-quick elegance

Comment

V-Junkie,
                        The 1530s are cool. But they are too HEAVY!
                        At least they are for me. I'm an old fart at 45. My days of lugging big stuff around are over if I've got anything to say about it. I have the G2s and the Mackies. I love them both. If you are running the Vs directly into your monitor/s, I think the G2s are cool because they have a mixer built in. The Mackies are great too. Think of your back!!

Comment

Thanks guys for the help. I went ahead and checked them both out again and bought the G2's.

I hate to give up the clarity of the 450's but for me the G2's seemed more like a SR speaker (which is what I really need) and the 450 seemed still like a PM type speaker.
                          And I really appreciate the addt'l inputs and EQ on the G2's.

I will add the (2) Mackie subs asap, they are small but they certainly kick ass.

Have you seen the 18" JBL powered sub? (whoa)Saw it at GC. This thing is huge and has an actual Crown amp built-in (according to the sales guy) and enough power to add another cab directly to it, but for $1200 (list) I think I'll pass.

..building slowly but surely

38 yrs old BTW w/ an old back, V-Concert, TDW-1, 2-PD-80s aux, 3-ECymball IIs 2-CY14s and 2-aux pads fed from a PAD 80 to the TD-10, BBE, and MPX-1. (oh yeah and 2-G2s)

Comment

Ummmm, V-junkie, if you're practicing with stereo cabinets, you DON'T want to switch the L/R outs when you point the cabs towards you (as opposed to towards the audience). Regardless of which way the cabs face, you want the left one to output the left-side triggers (mostly, say, the hihat & snare) and the right cab to output the right-side pads (mostly toms and ride). Doesn't matter which way the cabs face, each one should output the signals from the closest pads. Which means not switching the outputs. Think about it.... $^)

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by drmoze:
                              [B]Ummmm, V-junkie, if you're practicing with stereo cabinets, you DON'T want to switch the L/R outs when you point the cabs towards you...

Howdy, yeah I see what you mean as far as a live setup. I guess I was thinking more like a studio setup (the lower toms are output on the R side of the headphones - not the L).

Comment

Working...
                              X