Announcement

Collapse

Lounge Posting Guidelines

E-DRUMMING DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST PRODUCT OR TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

How many lefties here play drums righty?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many lefties here play drums righty?

I am one of the few, the proud, the lefties

I play drums 'righty', bass and guitar 'righty', bat and golf 'righty' and use 'righty' scissors cuz those damned green-handled LEFTY scissors in 2nd grade sucked!

So, I'm in the strange position (for a neophyte drummer) of having a dominant LEFT hand...so I tend to want to start descending tom rolls with my left. Can be a little problematical, but I'm working on it Also, makes double-sticking 16th note hi hat work a bit of a trial, but again, I'm finding ways to deal.

It's not a problem, really...just a challenge at times...I'm having a ball drumming!!!

No, I've tried playing drums lefty...it's as big a disaster as lefty bass or guitar

Anyone else here like me in this regard?

------------------
    www.mp3.com/entrylevel
    Dan's Music Site; melodic, ethereal rock and more! Please have a listen :^)

When I started playing drums I had access to a left handed drum set, so I had to play left-handed – at first. In golf, I drive right handed but putt left. When I play hockey, I play left handed or I can play right-handed. I bat right handed and throw right-handed and basically I am right handed, but I can do all things with both hands (except throwing).

Here is the thing.... I play right handed right now, yet my chops and rolls are much better left-handed (I seem to lead better with my right hand) but my fills are better right-handed, plus my hat work is much better when playing left handed – but over all I feel better playing right handed.....weird.

One day I will put the hat in the middle of my rack and the ride just above it, slap the snare in the middle and work the rest of the drums/cymbals around that. Or figure out on which side I play better. I think the only reason I play right-handed at this time is because my snare and ride sound better this way. As far as the kick, I play the same way from either foot. My band mates don’t give a flying f*%k on which side I play better (I asked) as long as I am on.

------------------
    szvook

[This message has been edited by szvook (edited October 05, 2001).]

[This message has been edited by szvook (edited October 05, 2001).]
    Studio

Comment

I'm been thinking about this for a while. My middle son (who is 5 years old and the furure of drumming as we know it) is left handed. I probably would have been left handed if my Dad hadn't forced me to do things right handed. I still bat and play golf left handed. Anyway, I fully intend on teaching my son to play on a right handed set up. He can still ride with his left (dominant) hand (ala...Simon Phillips). However, I think playing a right handed set and forcing him to lead with his right hand will help his weaker hand.

I know I sound like a 'proud Dad', but you really ought to see this kid play. It's freaky!!

Paul

Comment

I have no trouble riding with my right...hard to imagine playing the 2 and 4 with my right

I'm kind of viewing it like you are thinking of for your son; I'll develop my right hand this way! I really don't want to set up for left.

I have heard of Mr Phillips,but wasn't aware of his playing that way...did he just relocate the ride over by the hat, then? On his left?

------------------
        www.mp3.com/entrylevel

Comment

Originally posted by szvook:
          As far as the kick, I play the same way from either foot.
          I wish that was the case for me too! I just received my Eliminator double pedal expansion and it's very difficult! When practicing double strokes, most of the time you hear; BOOOOOOOM BOOOOOOOM boom boom BOOOOOOOM BOOOOOOOM boom boom BOOOOOOOM BOOOOOOOM boom boom BOOOOOOOM BOOOOOOOM boom boom (RIGHT RIGHT left left).....

Maybe it's an idea to set up my kit 'leftie' for a month, but I doubt whether I'll still like drumming after that!

------------------
          http://mpcman.flappie.nl
          Music was my first love...

Comment

I too am left-handed and play right-hand style.

When I was about 8 I joined the drum corps. (Is this the right word? You know, those guys in the funny looking uniforms complete with feather on the hat ) At that time I never gave it any thought, so I learned the right-hand technique.

Of course when I got my first kit, I had to play right-handed as well, since I already had a right-handed style.

Now the strange thing is that my left hand is dominant is writing, handling stuff etc. but my right hand is dominant in music. The rhythmic control over my left hand/fingers truly sucks. Not only in drums, but also keyboard and guitar. Must have something to do with the way the brain works %^)

svzook, I too had the idea of setting up a symmetrical kit. Snare, hi-hat and ride in the middle. But I am a bit hesitant, because as I customise the setup of my e-kit, it becomes more difficult to play an average a-kit. Already I have problems playing a "normally" placed hi-hat, because I've positioned mine a lot more to the centre.

Rob

Comment

Originally posted by MPCman:
              ...I just received my Eliminator double pedal expansion and it's very difficult! When practicing double strokes, most of the time you hear; BOOOOOOOM BOOOOOOOM boom boom ...(RIGHT RIGHT left left)...
              I've known a few drummers over the years that tried to solve this by adjusting the two pedals differently, this is definitely not a good solution. You will adjust much quicker than you think, and there are always compressor/limiters to round out the dynamics if you don't (which I also don't recommend) except maybe as brief interim confidence builder to get you using both pedals until you start building up chops and ambi-dexterous feet.

Comment

Originally posted by dr. kildrum:
                I've known a few drummers over the years that tried to solve this by adjusting the two pedals differently, this is definitely not a good solution. You will adjust much quicker than you think, and there are always compressor/limiters to round out the dynamics if you don't (which I also don't recommend) except maybe as brief interim confidence builder to get you using both pedals until you start building up chops and ambi-dexterous feet.

I'll just keep on practicing! My left hand is getting better, so no doubt about that my left feet can become better and more powerful..

------------------
                http://mpcman.flappie.nl
                Music was my first love...

Comment

I too am a lefty playing on a right hand setup. To this day I have not seen a left handed kit. So I thought I will just use it left handed. I have moved my ride just over the top of my hi-hat. I am pretty much a novice, but it seems to work for me pretty well. Do all of you place the ride on the same side as me? Or do you keep it on the right side and ride with your right hand? I have tried it and don't seem to have the coordination for it...Brad
                  TD-8, Hart Acusnare, Pintech Concertcast toms, Gibraltar rack

Comment

My ride is on the right....I've just always played that way.

I tried playing hat/snare open handed last nite; comedy ensued

------------------
                    www.mp3.com/entrylevel

Comment

I am a lefty converted to a righty. When I started playing I was told i was playing wrong so I switched much to my dismay. The dismay being my natural way of playing was changed, and now i wonder if I'd be better if I hadn't. I do play both right and left handed by play better right handed now. I'm going to spend this year playing left handed as I was intended.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan the Speakerman:
                        I have heard of Mr Phillips,but wasn't aware of his playing that way...did he just relocate the ride over by the hat, then? On his left?

[/B]
                        I believe Simon Phillips is actually left handed. He sets up a ride cymbal on both the left and the right. Plays them equally stunning!! He always plays his hihat with his left hand though.

Another 'lefty gone righty' that comes to mind is Stewart Copeland (formerly of the Police). Must explain that incredible pop he gets off his snare!

Paul

Comment

The snare work I am able to achieve and the ride are the only reasons I have not changed my kit to a left-handed set, I also have a better popping snare with my right hand.

I guess if I had to play an A kit that was set up for a right-handed person, I too would keep my e-kit in the same manner. But since I only play edrums, I might look into changing my kit a bit to try something different.

This never ends, does it lads?

------------------
                          szvook
                          Studio

Comment

Originally posted by Husky:
                            I believe Simon Phillips is actually left handed. He sets up a ride cymbal on both the left and the right. Plays them equally stunning!! He always plays his hihat with his left hand though.
                            Actually, Simon only has a ride on his left side and a has a hihat on both sides. He uses both hands on the left hi-hat, especially when he is doing things on the octobans and second snare.

Comment

Originally posted by animal:
                              Actually, Simon only has a ride on his left side and a has a hihat on both sides. He uses both hands on the left hi-hat, especially when he is doing things on the octobans and second snare.
                              I stand corrected... However I did see Simon do a Zildjian Day clinic back in 1981 were he had two rides set up. He was amazing!! Hmm, I guess that was 20 years ago. Considering I've modified my set up several times over the last 24 years, I suppose he has too. My how time flies..

Thanks for the update animal!

Comment

Working...
                              X