Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rhythm Travelers Anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rhythm Travelers Anyone?

I was in a small music store the other day and saw a set of Pearl Rhythm Travelers.

Interesting concept, the whole "real heads/mesh heads" thing.

Anyway I seem to recall hearing a while back around here that some folks were using these kits with triggers to drive E-Drum modules.

Like a lot of folks I've been looking at alternatives to the overpriced (in my opinion) Roland stuff, has anyone actually fitted one of the Pearl kits with triggers? How did it work?

I would think that combination of the mesh heads and smaller shells with no bottoms would make the Pearl Rhythm Travelers less suceptible to crosstalk and misstriggering problems, and the whole kit costs about what a roland kick drum costs.

If anyone has used these things as the basis for an Ekit I'd love to hear about it.

Jay Storey

I have a friend that bought a traveller kit and converted it , to make a long story short after everything was said and done , I've heard him say more than once if he could do it all over again he would just buy a custom set up. Don't get me wrong he did a good job , if your looking for plug and play it's not an option , he also plays with a lighter style than I do and therefor I think if I had gone this route I'd be fixing my triggers more than more than playing my kit. Just my opinion , to each their own........

------------------
    ~REDMAN~
    ~REDMAN~

Comment

im selling a rithmic traveler with cymbals for just 325$!!!!!!!!!!and is in perfect condition.......im also selling a pair of almost new pd-7s, but i dont know for how much im gonna charge them because they are like new.....
      td-8

Comment

ohhh the cymblas costed like 140$ theyre a crash ride and a hi hat, zildjian zbts......
        so the whole thing new costed 400+140= 540 im selling it at 320 with less than a year of use....
        td-8

Comment

anyways i listen to offers......i mean i just need a little money to buy some cy-6s so i can listen to offers....
          td-8

Comment

Hey manu84 are you like ahhhh .....standing here beside yourself .

------------------
            ~REDMAN~
            ~REDMAN~

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by redman:
              [B]I have a friend that bought a traveller kit and converted it , to make a long story short after everything was said and done , I've heard him say more than once if he could do it all over again he would just buy a custom set up. Don't get me wrong he did a good job , if your looking for plug and play it's not an option , he also plays with a lighter style than I do and therefor I think if I had gone this route I'd be fixing my triggers more than more than playing my kit. Just my opinion , to each their own........

What kind of triggers did he use? What kind of module?

I agree it's not a "plug and play" solution but that doesn't bother me. I program synthesizers (for my friends too) for fun, what can I say I'm a glutton for punishment.

My current E-Kit is a Drumkat, with four dual zone polecats for cymbals, a Hart Dynamics hammer kick (mated to a DW EP-1 kick pedal) and a Hart Hi-Hat pedal. All of this drives an Alesis D4.

I've had this basic setup since early 1994, and while it works well, most drummers kind of shy away from it because it doesn't look like a drumkit.

The level of programming Vdrums kind of pales in comparison to a decent synthesizer, and certainly the Drumkat (which has the deepest interface around really), so to me hooking up my own kit and tweaking it out is not a problem.

The thing is if I go much beyond what the travelers and triggers would cost, I could probably get a decent Hart kit. I'm not really a drummer, so I want to get something that people will want to use, and since the Pearls are more like a "real kit" that approach appealed to me.

Anyway, if have any more info on your friend's setup I'd like to hear about it, I figure I could make such a system work pretty well, but then again it might be worth it to just spend more on the Hart kit.

The all Roland setup is a good plug and play solution, especially for drummers whose main electronics experience has been hooking up a few mic cables, but the kits below the full boat Vdrums are just too "toylike". I don't say this to insult people that have them, but both of the drummers I work with have said "oh I don't like those things, I'd want the big V's" If I bought the custom kit, I doubt these guys would want to play it.

Anyway in the meantime, I'll just keep slappin the Drumkat and look at all the range of options.

Jay Storey

Comment

i just talked to samash and theyre giving me a good price for the drums, so i think in a few days im gonna go and sell it...i may get hart cymbals after this!!!!!
                td-8

Comment

Hey Jay Storey if you want to know more about the Traveller kit ask Gravity I know he is watching .

------------------
                  ~REDMAN~
                  ~REDMAN~

Comment

Another option to the Rhythm Traveler is the Pacific Chameleon (from Drum Workshop). Instead of having single headed drums that can switch to mesh, you have a two headed (one mesh, one mylar) drum that can be rotated 180 degrees. The same people that started ElectronicDrums.com have plans for conversion here:

http://www.acousticdrums.com/ad_fram...free_frame.htm

Comment

Working...
                    X