Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Combo amps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Combo amps

Sorry guys - this must have been done to death but I can't seem to find the info I need in old threads.

I need a cheapish combo amp for my TD6. It arrived yesterday but my Line 6 Flextone guitar combo is too coloured. What do you guys use? I don't want to spend too much but neither do I want something cheap and nasty. What do you guys use for home practice? I suppose the Roland KC100 is a good place to start? Is this a good amp? Is there anything cheaper around?

Thanks in advance - Steve

Originally posted by ebirah:
    I need a cheapish combo amp for my TD6. It arrived yesterday but my Line 6 Flextone guitar combo is too coloured.

Thanks in advance - Steve
    ebirah
    Hi and welcome
    It all depends what you want to use the amp for, is it for home practice, band practice, or stage monitor?

If you are wanting just for home use I would recommend decent headphones and then save for a JBL or Mackie powered speaker.

I started with a keyboard combo amp at home it was OK and coped with the high and lows, but once into rehearsals it was not enough. I now use JBL G2ís, which was recommended from this site, so you may want to search on JBL or Mackie which seem to be the favís for stage work.

Of course there is the MP3 which is a monitors system.

All of these items are not cheap, but you get what you pay for.

One concern I would have is that if you get a cheap amp you will push it to its limit, and will replace it sooner rather than later.

[This message has been edited by Daveb (edited September 30, 2001).]

Comment

Thanks - its just for home practice really. I played out with acoustic for several years and stopped regular drumming years ago. At that time the Simmons SDS9 was the latest thing in electric kits and it was a;cheesy, b;very expensive! I was blown away by what's happened in the intervening years (ie the TD6) but will probably only play it at home for personal gratification(!). I just need something that will give me essentially what I hear on the phones but louder and in a compact package if possible.

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Daveb:
        Of course there is the MP3 which is a monitors system.
        That's how it sounds! But it's the PM-3
        Robert

Comment

I just bought a Fender Bassman 60 amp (the new model with the tweeter horn) and I
          love it. It sounds great. Lots of low end for the kick drum and the horn does a fine
          job on cymbal crashes. It rocks back like a stage monitor or sits upright like a
          regular amp. Lots of bang for the buck and about half the price of a Mackie
          SRM450.

------------------
          TD-8, TD-7, Roland rack, Pintech CC and Roland PD-9/7/5 pads, Yamaha and Pintech cymbals, Vertikik & KD-7, FD-7 , DrumKat DK-10
          I'm a drummer. I don't play the timpani! Hire a percussionist!!!

Comment

Steve, I sent you a link that might help. It's for the Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 system...$180 US and ass-kickin!

------------------
            www.mp3.com/entrylevel
            Dan's Music Site; melodic, ethereal rock and more! Please have a listen :^)

Comment

Dan...you're the man!

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by puttenvr:
                That's how it sounds! But it's the PM-3
                Come on puttenvr, you know the PM-3 rules...
                Roland TD-20 v1.08, various v-drums and v-cymbals, Yamaha KP65's, Axis pedals, Gibraltar hardware, Mackie 1202/SRM450 (pre-china)

Comment

Originally posted by Dan the Speakerman:
                  Steve, I sent you a link that might help. It's for the Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 system...$180 US and ass-kickin!

Has anyone actually tried the Klipsh ProMedia 2.1 set up with their v's? I know as far as PC speakers they blow everthing else away. I was just wondering how they would handle the extreme dynamic range that drums produce.

p.s. I'm just talking about home use only! Don't get freaky on me!

Comment

Working...
                  X