Announcement

Collapse

Lounge Posting Guidelines

E-DRUMMING DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST PRODUCT OR TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

O Mighty Drummers, I seek thy wise counsel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• O Mighty Drummers, I seek thy wise counsel

If you're a beginner drummer, live in an apartment, and will be recording music in your apartment, would it be best to purchase an acoustic set to learn on first, and later, an electronic kit? If acoustic, how do you keep the noise down? Thanks.

Tons of options there...and all mainly your choice... Sure, you can get acoustics and put on a set of mesh heads...some triggers....and then you have both. Depending on your budget, there are a whole slew of trigger / head / module combinations out there so get ready for some serious homework. You have come to the right place however....most here will help you get pointed in the right direction, and some here know of some good online edrum stores to snag your gear from.... So - what is your budget, what are yout long-term plans for the kit - i.e. - get a beginner kit and move to something else later or get a mid-range kit and keep it?? Like I said - ask yourself these things and that will at least get you a starting point...

Erik
    SEPdrums

Comment

Thanks for your response. I don't want to spend more than $2,000 for something I can grow with. Of course, the lesser, the better. I prefer starting with something pretty decent that will last me for several years, but I don't think I really need anything professional for starters. Any advice?

Comment

How will you be recording?
        DTX950, UX8, Logic

Comment

I'm totally new to everything, so please forgive my ignorance. I'm purchasing a keyboard and maybe a Roland VS 2480 for my sister for Christmas. Can I record through her recorder? Or do I have to use something else specifically for drums? Or could I just use software like Cakewalk?

Comment

Bunnee,

You're in a tough spot. Normally I would never recommend e-drums to a beginner. I think it's important to get a feel for what acoustics are like.

But being in an apartment, e-drums are probably your best choice. Sure you could turn acoustics into e-drums, but then they're no longer acoustics. You could also use dampening pads, but then you're not getting used to the feel and sounds.

Your budget is also a big consideration. Buying the equipment to properly record acoustic drums is probably out of the question.

My recommendation:

1. Buy an electonic set. Do everything you can to get one with mesh heads. Especially since you're not used to acoustics. You don't want to be raised on the feel of clunky rubber pads.

2. Try to find an acoustic set to play on at least once a week. Perhaps you have a friend who has some. If you're taking lessons, maybe your teacher will let you come in and use the lesson set during off-lesson time.

Whatever you decide, good luck and welcome to the wonderful world of drumming!!!

------------------
            Drooling Dog
            - Scott

Comment

As it has been pointed out in other posts: e-drums are or have evolved into their own instrument. I don't think it matters anymore if you start with A's fisrt. I like A's and would love to get them again. I would also never want any drummer, accoustic or electric, to be deprived of the advantages of either type. I do think its a good idea to get something as close to the accoustic feel as possible, ie:mesh heads, etc. Because you never know when you'll have to play A's, and you want to know how. And of course "the Dog" has a point, it is probably a good idea to play on A's as much as possible to know the feel. You could also, if all else fails, go to a music store and play their drums every once in a while. That's what I used to do before I got my drums.

Comment

Someone suggested a Pearl Rhythm Traveler kit with triggering. Whatcha think?

Comment

I'm not sure if I follow you or maybe your message is misprinted. You say that you would prefer to spend under $2K on drums for yourself, but are buying your sister a keyboard and a $3,500.00 digital hard disk recording device for Christmas?

I'm assuming you mean a VS 880 or something, and even so, that would do a fine job for recording E's, especially at an entry level.

Anyway, they Pearl mesh heads feel nothing like acoustic heads IMO. Little sense in having acoustic looking drums if they don't feel like A's unless you are going to switch back and forth with real heads, but it doesn't sound like you will be doing that. There are those who love many of the non-mesh E pads, and will probably object to some of what is being said. Nothing wrong with them. Mesh is quieter, and IMO can be MADE to feel more like acoustic heads, but there are many who don't like the mesh much at all and wouldn't agree.

Best advice, is try the various surfaces. If noise is an issue, lean towards E's for the obvious reasons. A's crank out lots of dBs unless hushed, and then there is no fun. E's can rock your socks in headphones, without waking a sleeping baby in the next room. There is a ton of info on this site for specifics and opinion.

A recommendation? A Club kit (see recent posts) can be had for under your budget, and (again MHO) is the best value for money in the electronic drum market. You could experiment with a mesh snare to start and see what additions, swap outs you want to make over time from there.

Comment

Hi Bunnee,
                    Take a look at the "I Love My New V-Clubs" thread, in this section.
                    www.vdrums.com/discussion/Forum4/HTML/000992.html

There's a lot of discussion as to expanding Roland's V-Club kit, as well as on getting good prices from your local GC.

Welcome to the crazy world of V-Tubs!

[This message has been edited by HolShot (edited October 04, 2001).]

Comment

A Roland VS2480!??! Hay caramba!

That's a whole lotta recorder! Does she need one THAT fancy?

I use a VS880, and love it. But there's two things that are essential if you want to own a Roland V studio:

1) Get in with this site:
                      www.vsplanet.com Great info
                      about the V studios from users,
                      like this forum.

2) Get the video instruction manual!
                      Money extremely well spent.

Another pretty good recording site is:
                      www.homerecording.com They have an expansive, high traffic forum covering all aspects of home recording.

I think you should buy whichever type of drumset you prefer, but I think too many compromises/sacrifices would be made with an A kit; muffling and all that, IMO.

------------------
                      www.mp3.com/entrylevel
                      Dan's Music Site; melodic, ethereal rock and more! Please have a listen :^)

Comment

You're all giving me some really helpful things to consider. At least now, when I go in the music store, I'll have a good idea of what to look at.

Yes, I am loading my sister up for Christmas. But if you knew all the good things she's done for me down through the years, you wouldn't think much of the purchase. Yep. . .that's why there's not much left over for drums. Maybe I'll treat myself to something really good next year.

Comment

Good for you, Bunnee! I'm sure your sister will appreciate you for remembering her like that.

Be sure to keep us posted.

Bob

[This message has been edited by HolShot (edited October 04, 2001).]

Comment

Someone suggested a Chameleon kit. I visited the site and it looks like it's being advertised for kids. Has anyone used this set? How does it sound?

Comment

Originally posted by Bunnee:
                              Someone suggested a Chameleon kit. I visited the site and it looks like it's being advertised for kids. Has anyone used this set? How does it sound?
                              http://www.pacificdrums.com/drmchameleon.htm

The chameleon set is wood shells with a regular head on top and a mesh head on bottom. You can flip the drums over for quiet pratice with the mesh heads. This could also be used for triggering. This "kid marketing" is the first time I have seen that. That was not there a few weeks ago. I have checked out the chameleon at GC, and they are cool. The sound quality would depend on the acoustic heads and tuning more than anything. You can muffle acoustic heads to where they sound like a pratice pad. check out http://www.derksens.com/Beatnik_mirror.htm for some acoustic triggering suggestions. In an apartment, it wont take much to upset you neighbors. I would suggest a V-club set with a mesh head snare upgrade or a V-custom set. Both will get you around 2K. A lot of us here are getting the club for $1069 and then adding extra snare pad, cymbals, etc... best deal for the money.

[This message has been edited by animal (edited October 07, 2001).]

Comment

Working...
                              X