Announcement

Collapse

Lounge Posting Guidelines

E-DRUMMING DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST PRODUCT OR TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

PINTECH - OR SHOULD I SAY VDRUMS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PINTECH - OR SHOULD I SAY VDRUMS?

A reliable source told me that Roland has just signed a contract with Pintech to licence the Pintech product range.
    If that is the case, Pintech is bound to be a major player, if not, THE major player in the electronic drum market.

If thats the case are they gonig to get more expensive, too?

Comment

Or Roland is getting more cheaper. The latter would be more fine.
      Robert

Comment

I know (direct from Pintech) that that is more than rumor. Pintech already paid a license fee for their mesh head products. They will bear the Roland name soon. I'm not going to speculate on pricing.

Comment

Please tell me more Dr Kildrum.

Comment

this is too funny. i just bought a new 5-piece vision setup from pintech but have been somewhat dismayed by the fact that the snare rim is not triggering very well at all, despite extensive tweaking of my td-10. (see my post in technical if you have any suggestions.) they also shipped me a dud hihat pedal.

i had been considering just getting a pd-120 for the snare and getting on with life. now i wonder if lifetime warranty means i can have it upgraded to act more like a pd-120?

the vision pads are gorgeous, btw. solid wood shells. i will be posting a pic of my complete setup once UPS releases my hostage kick drum from the captivity of their incompetence. they are the worst.

Comment

I'm not trying to be secretive because they really didn't say "don't tell anyone", but I truly don't know any details. I was discussing some technical stuff regarding head thickness/tension and optimum triggering, and asked how Roland two-ply heads jive with their CC102STs. In addition to great technical answers I was told that Pintech pays a licensing fee to Roland on the manufacture of their mesh heads. They indicated that a latest development will soon result in the display of the Roland logo on those products. Futher, I know not.

Jon, I left a partial answer in the Technical forum. The snare, including rim, can/should trigger the TD-10 correctly, so I think it can be repaired or replaced and work properly. Hope you get it sorted out soon.

Comment

i got some more info on this topic today. according to the folks at pintech, roland is trying to break more into the lower end of the consumer-grade electronic percussion space. since pintech produces good quality entry level products, roland has just decided to private label these products instead of develop their own. both companies will continue to compete with high-end e-drums offerings. it sounds like roland wants more market share and realizes that their high prices are a barrier to entry for many.

Comment

I wish they did that 2 or 3 years ago. I could have been playing all these years.

Comment

So the Pintech products will bear the Roland logo. I've noticed on the new Pintech site that they now just list the Roland modules even though they are still compatible with all the others.
                    The new kits they've added look good too.

Comment

I just picked up a Pintech AX14 Snare (from Pintech's "scratch & dent" area on their website). This thing is great. I used it at rehersal tonight and it performed perfectly. I really missed the feel of a full sized snare drum. I modified a regular snare stand that just happened to have a 7/8" tube to fit a 7/8" rack mount. It is plenty strong to hold the snare and I got no cross talk (tubes packed with peanuts of course!)

------------------
                      TD-8, TD-7, Roland rack, Pintech CC and Roland PD-9/7/5 pads, Yamaha and Pintech cymbals, Vertikik & KD-7, FD-7 , DrumKat DK-10
                      I'm a drummer. I don't play the timpani! Hire a percussionist!!!

Comment

Originally posted by clymore:
                        I just picked up a Pintech AX14 Snare (from Pintech's "scratch & dent" area on their website). This thing is great.
                        hey clymore -

do find that it is pretty easy to trigger the rim on your snare? i had to send mine back to pintech for adjusting. i had to whack the thing just perfectly in order to get the rim to trigger with my td-10.

glad to hear you like yours so much. i hope mine works as well as yours when i get it back. in the meantime i am using a 12" tom as my snare - not nearly as fun.

Comment

Pintech has paid a license fee to Roland because they infringe Roland's Vdrum patent. There are certain aspects of the patent that Roland will not license such as the cone shaped sensor and 2 ply head. Roland also requires that any licensee display "licensed under Roland patent XXXXX on any product sold that infringes. That's the skinny

Comment

Originally posted by digitsone:
                            hey clymore -

do find that it is pretty easy to trigger the rim on your snare? i had to send mine back to pintech for adjusting. i had to whack the thing just perfectly in order to get the rim to trigger with my td-10.

glad to hear you like yours so much. i hope mine works as well as yours when i get it back. in the meantime i am using a 12" tom as my snare - not nearly as fun.
                            It performed great on it's "maiden gig". I will admit I placed the snare with the rim sensor in the spot where I usually strike the rim to play cross stick (just in case). I will see how it goes in the weeks ahead. The construction of these things looks relatively simple. I can hardly see anything changing that might effect the performance.

I mounted mine to the rack with the top part of a standard snare drum stand that just happened to be 7/8" tubing. It fits a 7/8 to 1.5" rack clamp. I came off the main upright with a 12" long tube and put the rack clamp near the end of that. I have at least six way adjustability and it is plenty sturdy. Couldn't stand the thought of something else sitting in the floor for me to kick around!

------------------
                            TD-8, TD-7, Roland rack, Pintech AX14, ConcertCast and Roland PD-9/7/5 pads, Yamaha and Pintech cymbals, Dingbat, Nimrod, Vertikik & KD-7, FD-7 , DrumKat DK-10, Fender Bassman 60.......2000 Eclipse GS
                            I'm a drummer. I don't play the timpani! Hire a percussionist!!!

Comment

Working...
                            X