Announcement

Collapse

Lounge Posting Guidelines

E-DRUMMING DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST PRODUCT OR TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

Favorite practice/play along song?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Favorite practice/play along song?

What do you guys like to play along to the most during that part of your practice?

My favorite tune to play along to has got to be "Abacab" by Genesis. It's simple, but it's got a great beat and you get to change things up a lot. Plus, I love bashing my China pad during the bridge...that part is so fun

Of course, I'm just a novice, so I bet I'll see lots amazing responses, like "2112" or Buddy Rich tunes

------------------
    www.mp3.com/entrylevel
    Dan's Music Site; melodic, ethereal rock and more! Please have a listen :^)

I don't have a favorite at the moment, but I do do something new, lately. I put my stereo on "seek"/"preview" or whatever it's called, and it advances through the preset stations one after another playing about four seconds of each. It's kind of like name that tune and/or find that groove at a fast pace. Too bad about commercials or it would be even better. It I had the same function on the digital music on my satellite, I'd hook that up (no commercials).

If I happen on something I want to stay with, I just smack that (seek?) button again and continue playing until I decide to search some more.

Comment

The album Californication from the Red Hot Chili Peppers!

I also like playing along with Live, Creed and other rock bands.

------------------
      http://mpcman.flappie.nl
      Music was my first love...

Comment

Get the Jeff Porcaro Star Licks video. He gives you good ideas and shows a variety of beats. I'm still trying to learn the beat from the song Roseanna which he shows you. Has a nice feel, but is tricky to learn. Good Luck

Comment

I like to play along (or at least TRY to play along ) with lots of King Crimson songs such as Neil & Jack & Me, Elephant Talk, Frame by Frame and many others.

I like Dave Weckl's Rhythm of the Soul, but I also enjoy playing along with Britney Spears, Robbie Williams etc...

Comment

I seem to change around a lot but recently I have been playing to simply red’s Stars & Presidents of USA I especially enjoy lump.

I am in the studio in a couple of weeks and was thinking of asking for variations of the final mix (1)with no drums, (2) just the bass lines so I can play about with them.

Comment

Originally posted by Pleiadian:
              I like to play along (or at least TRY to play along ) with lots of King Crimson songs such as Neil & Jack & Me, Elephant Talk, Frame by Frame and many others.

I like Dave Weckl's Rhythm of the Soul, but I also enjoy playing along with Britney Spears, Robbie Williams etc...

I never thought I'd see Britney included with Weckl and King Crimson! If the truth be known, I put in my 12 year old son's CD once and got a groove going. Next thing I know, my wife is staring at me with this big grin and says, "Gee Hon, I didn't know you liked Back Street Boys". Needless to say, that groove died in a hurry.
              Kit Pic 1 Kit Pic 2 Kit Pic 3... And FOR SALE I have: 3 PD-9's, MDS-10 purple rack w/cables/pad and cym mounts. See classified posts for details or PM me.

Comment

Originally posted by dr. kildrum:
                I don't have a favorite at the moment, but I do do something new, lately. I put my stereo on "seek"/"preview" or whatever it's called, and it advances through the preset stations one after another playing about four seconds of each. It's kind of like name that tune and/or find that groove at a fast pace. Too bad about commercials or it would be even better. It I had the same function on the digital music on my satellite, I'd hook that up (no commercials).

If I happen on something I want to stay with, I just smack that (seek?) button again and continue playing until I decide to search some more.
                You Don't have a Audio out on your Sat. Equipment?

Comment

Allman Brothers, Steely Dan, Marshall Tucker, Humble Pie. Lots of Dino music like that...

Comment

Here are my favorite practice/fooling about tunes:

1. Underworld: "Pearl's Girl"
                    2. Lamb: "Cotton Wool" (Still trying to figure that one out!)
                    3. Makai: "Beneath The Mask" (13 minutes of essentially the same groove, good stamina lesson)
                    4. Massive Attack: "Risingson"
                    5. Genesis: "In The Cage" (I just love playing along with Chester Thompson on "Three Sides Live")
                    6. King Crimson: "Lark's Tongues In Aspic Pt. 2"
                    7. Chocolate Weasel: "Music For Body Lockers"
                    8. Bauhaus: "Double Dare"
                    9. any Skinny Puppy track
                    10. The Gathering: "Nighttime Birds"

Well, that's my list. Enjoy.

Stu

[This message has been edited by mcconaghy (edited September 24, 2001).]
                    "Fry that sound effect, Moriarty, we're having it for breakfast"

Comment

Originally posted by dr. kildrum:
                      That's a great idea. If I had a nickel for every time I heard a song on the radio and wished I was sitting at my v's...

Personally I find that 80's pop music is fun to drum along with (don't laugh). We have an 80's radio station around here that would be perfect. Billy Joel is great for practice. I don't really dig the modern pop/rock/punk you hear on the radio nowadays.

Actually, by far my favorite "albums" to drum along with are surf videos: The Search, Sik Joy, Blue Crush, September Sessions, etc. Hey, you do what you gotta do.
                      Roland TD-20 v1.08, various v-drums and v-cymbals, Yamaha KP65's, Axis pedals, Gibraltar hardware, Mackie 1202/SRM450 (pre-china)

Comment

Morphine's " Cure for Pain" is lots of fun to play along to.

[This message has been edited by gingerbaker (edited September 24, 2001).]
                        Immensely powerful yet with a liquid cat-quick elegance

Comment

Mind if I share mine??

not necessarily in this order...

1) Fun, Fun, Fun, (since your Daddy took your T-Bird away) Beach Boys
                          2) I'm not Your Steppin stone...Monkees
                          3) Baby I Love You...Andy Kim
                          4) Let Her In....John Travolta
                          5) Physical....Olivia Newton John
                          6) Jesse....Rick Springfield
                          7) Calendar Girl....Neil Sedaka
                          8) Knock three Times....Tony Orlando and Dawn
                          9) Paper Roses....Marie Osmond
                          10)Rock Lobster..B-52's

YEAH!!!

Comment

Louie Louie - The Kingsmen

Comment

I’ve been playing mostly to my bands music – we have a shilt lot of tracks where I can mute the drums/percussion and play along. Plus I’ve working with a session bass player and laying down a lot of material with synths as well while keeping the drum out of the recordings. Although Aphex Twin material(s) (with the low & mid EQ dropped at the board always gets me going – love to practice to his stuff!)

But recently, I’ve been working with material form Miles Davis, specifically the ‘fusion/rock’ 1969-75 and ‘the comeback’ 1980-81 periods of his life.
                              This gives me a wide selection to practice too. I just slow down some tracks and speed up others and this gives me a chance to practice with a BPM closer to the style my bad and I play as well as trying newer ideas with the speed of the tracks fluctuating up and down.

------------------
                              szvook
                              Studio

Comment

Working...
                              X