Announcement

Collapse

Lounge Posting Guidelines

E-DRUMMING DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST PRODUCT OR TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

HolShot & others, would this be too much?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HolShot & others, would this be too much?

Here is my latest vision for the 'final' incarnation of my Club kit Not sure if it's realistic...

KD120 kick (got it)
    PR80R snare (got it)

Here's the tricky part....picture this.

Left rack arm, going left to right:
    *TD6, *CY6 for hat on the incld. cymbal pole w/kit but straight up and low, *PD6 tom 1 positioned upward, like a hi tom.

Middle rack brace, continuing left to right:
    *CY6 crash 1 w/new cymbal mount, *PD6 tom 2, *PD6 tom 3.

Right rack arm, left to right:
    *CY6 ride mounted low on kit's 'stock' pole, *PD6 tom 4, *CY6 crash 2 mounted high on new cymbal mount, *PD6 tom 5.

Think it'd work? I kind of directed this at HolShot initially cuz he's becoming the King of Rack Overload , but what do you all think?

One possible thing...switch the TD6 and CY6 hat's positions so the hat has more space, better cross-reach, like in Animal's setup which can be seen over at my Show us your Vkits! thread.

What's tight is that all this would require is picking up two CY6's and two cymbal mounts The PD6s would all just become dedicated as toms, PD 80R doing the snare, CY6's doing all the cymbal duties.

------------------
    www.mp3.com/entrylevel
    Dan's Music Site; melodic, ethereal rock and more! Please have a listen :^)

That's cool. I hope to have my Clubs to something like that someday, only I don't need that many toms. I'd use the last PD-6 as a cowbell or splash or something. Let me know if you get it all to FIT!!

[This message has been edited by Roberts2 (edited September 28, 2001).]
    V-Club

Comment

Originally posted by Roberts2:
      That's cool. I hope to have my Clubs to something like that someday, only I don't need that many toms. I'd use the last PD-6 as a cowbell or splash or something.

Sure, if I wound up with all those triggers at my disposal, many kits would be edited for different needs, like your example. Flexibilty and variety would not be a problem

------------------
      www.mp3.com/entrylevel

Comment

Have you tried using the CY-6 as a Hat?
        I bought one for that purpose and was initially impressed but now I think it's a bit crap for a Hi-Hat. It doesn't have the rebound that real cymbals or PD pads do so it's more difficult/annoying to do intricate Hi Hat work. Just my feeling.

I'm going to buy a CY15R or CY12H later today if the response is nicer.

Comment

I just lowered my CY6 and tried it as a hat, in fact....sounds like a Dr Suess story for drummers

Actually, I think I might have to agree with your assessment, though I didn't log in nearly as much time as you on that configuration, I can see in time I could feel that way....

Food for thought.

------------------
          www.mp3.com/entrylevel

Comment

Well.....I went ahead and did it anyway!

I walked into GC today, while still mulling the CY6 situation, to see what's up with their big Green Tag sale, which usually rocks. I talked to Russ, the great and long-suffering guy who has sold me all my V drum gear at insane, internet-price-match-prices, and he wound up putting the two CY6's he had 'on sale!' for me, with some really nice hatched clamps and booms for $270 out the door. Midwest Percussion, same stuff w/Roland hatched cymbal stands....$299.00 shipped And these are way nicer steel clamps!

It's cool when you can get a relationship going with a cool sales guy and he swings you this kind of deal without having to price match ALL the time

UNFORTUNATELY, , GC was out of the Hosa cables to bring all of my PD6's in, Radio Shack didn't have the right cord , so I ordered the Hosa's from MF and will get them Wednesday at my door. Then, the big Kit Rearrangement will happen. I'll be sure to post new pix immediately after I'm done and settled on it.

OK, HolShot, go buy a KD120 and stimulate the economy!

------------------
            www.mp3.com/entrylevel

[This message has been edited by Dan the Speakerman (edited September 29, 2001).]

Comment

Hi Dan,
              Sorry I couldn't reply sooner. Your idea sounds good. However, if you can, try to mount as many things to the center rack as you can. Although I have been having good luck with my set-up, so far, I can see where the arm clamps will get fatigued over time. As I tend to be a rather light player, it probably won't be too much of a problem, but if you play normally, then you may, in time, develop a problem with the lsft arm Especially seeing as you have your primary crash, your hat, and your number 1 tom on it, it will be seeing a large number of hits over time. Other than that, ain't it just cool to have a set up like that??!

One other thing you might consider if you decide to go with all that stuff on the left arm, would be to get a rack brace. I found a PinTech RLB Leg Brace for $12.99 + $10 S&H at www.sepdrums.com. I plan on getting a couple, one to shore up the right arm, which is loaded up with the ride and two toms, and one to mount on the middle cross-bar and one of the legs, to provide lateral support. For two of them shipped, it's just under $36. Cheap insurance, if you ask me.

Let me know when you get it all together.

Lub dem tubs!

[This message has been edited by HolShot (edited September 29, 2001).]

Comment

Good idea about those supports! Thanks for the link and the idea...

The only thing that may really SUCK is you'd have to take the whole works down and disassemble sections of the rack to put these on

Yeah, I've been mulling the weight issue today, and I was planning on using these cool cymbal booms w/the hatched clamps and go for the center bar for both new cymbals, if at all possible... That way the existing arm loads will remain exactly as they are, just rearranged.

I figure at worst I might have to mount the new ride on the right bar, but ridin' the ride shouldn't bring it all down. I'm a big guy, but I only have light to medium velocity when I play. I find I play much smoother when I relax and don't hit so hard.

------------------
                www.mp3.com/entrylevel

Comment

Perhaps if you spring for the braces it'll all work out OK. That's my plan.

Comment

It's a good plan.

I will, too!

------------------
                    www.mp3.com/entrylevel

Comment

Working...
                    X