Announcement

Collapse

Lounge Posting Guidelines

E-DRUMMING DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST PRODUCT OR TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

BBE482 vs. BBE882

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BBE482 vs. BBE882

Hey, gang -

OK, I'm convinced, and there is going to be a BBE product of some sort in my rack...

But, which one? The BBE 482 runs about $180 or thereabouts, the BBE 882 runs about $370 or so. The only difference I can see is that the 882 has balanced input/outputs.

Is there more?

Thanks, all!

- Hans
    - Hans

I ordered the 482 Thursday ($169 + $7 S/H). so I read up on it. Balanced in's/out's is about it. Because they are balanced, you pick up a few advantages like +18dBu vs +23dBu headroom and S/N 112 vs 115 dB. Of course you get a cleaner signal over long lengths. That's all I saw.
    Kit Pic 1 Kit Pic 2 Kit Pic 3... And FOR SALE I have: 3 PD-9's, MDS-10 purple rack w/cables/pad and cym mounts. See classified posts for details or PM me.

Comment

Boingo just pretty much said it all.

Also,

The 882 is used more often by engineers rather then musicians, so the higher headroom in few areas makes a difference for the engineers.
      Having the outs balanced eliminates the need of a DI box (unless you are using an outboard mixer that sends outs balanced), but that depends on how the BBE is used – before the mixer or after.

The 482 is more then enough for e-drumming applications without having the need for the 882 (the only reason I have the 882 rather then the 482 is because I got a huge deal on it at that time – brand new and FREE).

The additional help in achieving better results from sounds is the use of other outboard gear in conjunction with each other; the BBE (or any sonic maximizer) is the first step.

------------------
      szvook
      Studio

Comment

Originally posted by Boingo:
        I ordered the BBE482 ...
        Can I go from TD-10 master out to BBE482 to amp or do I need to go TD to mixer to BBE to amp?

I assume I just adjust the master out stength until I get a clipping warning light. Any precautions would be appreciated.
        Kit Pic 1 Kit Pic 2 Kit Pic 3... And FOR SALE I have: 3 PD-9's, MDS-10 purple rack w/cables/pad and cym mounts. See classified posts for details or PM me.

Comment

I personally prefer to go from TD to BBE then to mixer – this way I have a chance to EQ the signal and add more gain if desired before the amp.

I don’t think there is a one best way to use the BBE; it depends on what you want the BEE to do.

------------------
          szvook
          Studio

Comment

Originally posted by szvook:
            I personally prefer to go from TD to BBE then to mixer – this way I have a chance to EQ the signal and add more gain if desired before the amp.
            Great. I was concerned about the comment in the manual - it's designed to work with -10dBu line levels... drives load impedances down to 1K Ohm... use of high impedance device directly into BBE 482 will not work properly. as it's input impedance is less than 50K Ohms.

I'm not up on electronics and didn't know how the TD-10 relates, i.e. nominal output impedance = 330 ohms, nominal output level = 4 dBm (audio output).

I should be able to play with it tomorrow. Sigh. Priorities, priorities!

Comment

I received my BBE482 but haven't had much time to play with it. What I found so far is slightly disappointing - possibly because the people on this site singing its praises have made my expectations a bit too high.

My Peavey KBA/300 has 4 band EQ on each of 3 channels. My sound wasn't that muddy but I always felt the EQ didn't have that sparkle or presence I was looking for. The BBE definitely provides that but I find that it's easy to overprocess. Also, because where I play uses a KC500 and a PA which are weak (IMO), the kits tend to be processed a bit on the heavy side with ambience and effects (to make up for the system and room characteristics). The BBE doesn't seem to do well with these signals. Reverb tends to drop off suddenly instead of fading out. Cymbals on some kits sound a bit shrill and I am adjusting kit EQ to compensate.

Basically the settings don't go much past 5 without some negative effect.

On the other hand, I ran my wifes Martin electro/acoustic into it and then thru her Fender Acoustisonic w/effects and thought it did a very nice job of improving an already great combination.

I still have a lot of tweaking to do and I probably won't have a chance to use it in a live environment for a while. Using the TD-10 effects most likely contributes to my situation. I have a Lexicon MPX 100 (ok, it belongs to my wife), so I may run direct outs to BBE to Effects and see what that yields. I don't have intentions of using outboard effects right now so I'll spend more time on tweaking using the master outs.

Tips or comments welcome.

Comment

My Peavey KBA/300 has 4 band EQ on each of 3 channels... Tips or comments welcome.
                Assuming you have 3 EQ-able channels available. If you are experimenting, you might try routing kick and toms to one direct out on your TD-10exp, cymbals and snare to another. Route each of these through separate sides of the BBE and on to two separate Peavey channels. Either route the master out from the TD-10 (presumably now only additional ambience and effects) to the third Peavey channel without going through the BBE but still allowing the ability to EQ that signal, or maybe not at all if you change your mind about outboard effects.

This might give favorable results when you mix everything back together at the Peavey. (Or not.)

[This message has been edited by dr. kildrum (edited September 06, 2001).]

Comment

Now that's thinking outside of the box! Yes, all 3 are EQ'able. I'll spend some time on it this weekend and next week. No hurry. It's not like I'm sending it back or anything. Thanks for the suggestion.

Comment

Working...
                  X