Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Budget outboard upgrades

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Budget outboard upgrades

No, this is not about politics.

I am looking for some suggestions on how to enhance my sound system, which consists of just my TD-8 and a single SRM450, with a simple 1/4" -> XLR adapter. I have a few options in mind:

[*]Behringer MX-602A + BBE DI-100[*]Behringer MX-602A + BBE 482 + Direct Box[*]Used Mackie 1202 in place of MX-602A[/list]

I reckon what I am looking for is a "stronger" sound with more headroom and the ability to EQ seperate channels. Specifically, what are the advantages of the Mackie over the MX-602A (I don't understand why it costs so much more) and what are the advantages of the BBE 482 over the DI-100 direct box combo (do two channels make a big difference)? Also, does anyone know if Mackie plans on coming out with the SRM450 "upgrade"? (There is room for a second panel on the back, apparently for EQ/mix.) It seems like I could possibly bypass the need for a mixer if the SRM450 had these capabilities (like the G2). But, I am not sure if that would help either -- I am quite the ignorant fool when it comes to outboard gear. Hey, at least I'm not afraid to admit it.
    Roland TD-20 v1.08, various v-drums and v-cymbals, Yamaha KP65's, Axis pedals, Gibraltar hardware, Mackie 1202/SRM450 (pre-china)

Er . . . Szvook....
    Andy
    TD-20, Pair of JBL-Eon15 G2's & Sub

Check out the demo tracks to hear my V's at

http://www.thebrokenangelband.co.uk/

Comment

Originally posted by ufotofu:
      I reckon what I am looking for is a "stronger" sound with more headroom and the ability to EQ seperate channels.

Go with the Mackie, the BBE 482 and the direct box (if you have some distance to cover).

The Mackies have better headroom and sound better at higher values and they have certain warmth to them that made them quite favorable by many in the industry.

As far as the BBE 482 or the BBE DI-100, it all depends on you.

The 482 will give the chance to process the kick and snare (or what ever you choose) separately and might not want to have the rest of the TD-8ís sounds processed, or you can run your entire TD-8 mix in stereo to the FOH. The DI-100 will do half the job of the 482; you can a feed a mono signal through it the FOH and a separate signal to your reference monitors it depends are what you want to do.

------------------
      szvook

[This message has been edited by szvook (edited August 16, 2001).]
      Studio

Comment

As far as Mackie vs Behringer desks go. I have used both and this is my thoughts.
        The mackie has better preamps than the behringer. They are a little bit more hardy and things rarely go wrong with them. Mackie has the 'name' which makes it rather more expensive.
        Behringer on the other hand has a great price and they look nearly identical to the mackie (I believe Mackie took them to court a few years ago - and lost).

IMHO I would go for the Mackie/BBE 482 combo. A used Mackie is still really good (unless someone has poured a pitcher of beer over it) and will have a better resale value than a Behringer equivalent.

I should add that I have been burned before with my Behringer purchases, so I have a rather biased opinion. I have bought two Behringer desks, BOTH of which had problems requiring repairs just outside the warranty period.
        Steve

'I only ever quote myself - except when I quote someone else' - me

, plenty of , and , , triggered acoustics, , and a plethora of PA blah blah freakin blah...I mean does anyone care about the specifics of pedals, speakers, processors, hardware or anything that I'm using?? :confused: Hmmm, maybe this is an appropriate place to mention that I tried out a new cymbal stand the other day...

Comment

Don't you hate it when you post a reply and someone posts the same reply only a minute or two in front of you???
          Steve

, plenty of , and , , triggered acoustics, , and a plethora of PA blah blah freakin blah...I mean does anyone care about the specifics of pedals, speakers, processors, hardware or anything that I'm using?? :confused: Hmmm, maybe this is an appropriate place to mention that I tried out a new cymbal stand the other day...

Comment

LOL

It's all-good. Its better when we respond in numbers anyway, especially if the views are the same on gear that will contribute on optimum performance.

------------------
            szvook
            Studio

Comment

Originally posted by szvook:
              LOL
              It's all-good. Its better when we respond in numbers anyway, especially if the views are the same on gear that will contribute on optimum performance.
              O.K. I wasn't gonna add anything because I agreed with what was being said on the given options...but...what the heck...the Mackie and the 482 is the best of those options IMO2.

Comment

Thanks for the input everybody. Looks like I'll be going with the Mackie...
                Roland TD-20 v1.08, various v-drums and v-cymbals, Yamaha KP65's, Axis pedals, Gibraltar hardware, Mackie 1202/SRM450 (pre-china)

Comment

Many, Many thanks to Szvook for his recommendation on the BBE 482. I have a VCustom set, a Mackie CFX Mixer and 2-SRM450's with a single SRS1500 sub and I honestly thought it could not sound any better but I was dead wrong. I just picked up the BBE 482 last night and I cannot believe the difference this little unit makes. I patched the BBE 482 into the Main Inserts L/R which lets the BBE do it's thing to the entire drum mix and I fell in love with my new improved sound. I tried to shut it off and EQ the Board to make it sound as good but it was not possible. This thing really does what it claims to do!!! This is the biggest bang for the buck I have ever got for my money. I am playing out at a club this weekend and the guys in my band are going to have their socks knocked off. I know that they will want to buy one for themselves as well as for the main PA.
                  Thanks so very much Szvook!
                  Bruce...........

Comment

Can't take it much longer... Resistance is weak. Couldn't help myself. Requested quote on BBE this morning. The pressure is too great. I'm outta control.........

Arrrrrrggggggggggggggg!

Post #600 !

[This message has been edited by Boingo (edited August 24, 2001).]
                    Kit Pic 1 Kit Pic 2 Kit Pic 3... And FOR SALE I have: 3 PD-9's, MDS-10 purple rack w/cables/pad and cym mounts. See classified posts for details or PM me.

Comment

More power to you Bruce. The Vís come to live through the BBE, donít they?

Bruce, please let us know how it went during the gig.

And Boingo Ė get it (BBE) and you will not be regretful.

PS: Congratulations on the 600th appearance.

------------------
                      szvook
                      Studio

Comment

Szvook, I know you have denied it before but I think it is time to reveal what position you hold at BBE.
                        Managing Director I believe??
                        Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Steveo the Devo:
                          Szvook, I know you have denied it before but I think it is time to reveal what position you hold at BBE.
                          Managing Director I believe??

LOL

Well.......

------------------
                          szvook

[This message has been edited by szvook (edited August 25, 2001).]
                          Studio

Comment

Originally posted by Boingo:
                            Can't take it much longer... Resistance is weak. Couldn't help myself. Requested quote on BBE this morning. The pressure is too great. I'm outta control.........

Arrrrrrggggggggggggggg!
                            Looks like Washington Music quoted the best price @ $169.
                            Kit Pic 1 Kit Pic 2 Kit Pic 3... And FOR SALE I have: 3 PD-9's, MDS-10 purple rack w/cables/pad and cym mounts. See classified posts for details or PM me.

Comment

Washington Music rules. I buy everything there. Rob in Drums / Percussion, Tom in Prosound, and Tim in Guitars. Tom will also help me in the Keyboard department.

These guys are the best. Tell them Joe sent you.
                              V-Concert, Visu-Lite Cymbals, BBE 482's, Behringer Multicom, Alesis D5

Comment

Working...
                              X