Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

TD10ex - What's New?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TD10ex - What's New?

Hi, all -

I finally got my TDW-1 back from Roland after updating the ROM to the V-Cymbal control.

There was absolutely NO documentation with the returned unit.

So, what's new (aside from the V-Cymbal settings)?

- Hans
    - Hans

Originally posted by hmasing:
    Hi, all -

I finally got my TDW-1 back from Roland after updating the ROM to the V-Cymbal control.

There was absolutely NO documentation with the returned unit.

So, what's new (aside from the V-Cymbal settings)?

- Hans
    N o t h i n g
    Kit Pic 1 Kit Pic 2 Kit Pic 3... And FOR SALE I have: 3 PD-9's, MDS-10 purple rack w/cables/pad and cym mounts. See classified posts for details or PM me.

Comment

Originally posted by Boingo:
      N o t h i n g
      Damn.

I was really hoping for some more control over copying and other functions, not to mention some new sounds...

I really want to have global settings for pad/rim volume, copy settings between kits, etc.

Oh well...

- Hans

- Hans

Comment

I really want to have... copy settings between kits, etc.
        - Hans
        I can't imagine Roland adding/improving capabilities of the card and giving it away. Frankly, I was surprised to see them do the v-cymbal upgrade without charging a fee of some sort.

As far as copying settings between kits, you need to read up on use of the copy feature. You can already do this. You can copy trigger bank, instrument, studio or control room settings.
        Kit Pic 1 Kit Pic 2 Kit Pic 3... And FOR SALE I have: 3 PD-9's, MDS-10 purple rack w/cables/pad and cym mounts. See classified posts for details or PM me.

Comment

And it'll take a bit of work, but by copying one mixer setting to all kits using the copy function, you can have a global pad/rim volume. Obviously it's not gonna have the total freedom-thing going for it, but it's only meant to be a partial workaround. I think that's a problem with e's and Roland and manufacturing in general (and lazy-a$$ people) -- there's not one iota of a chance of a TDW-2 coming out.

*sigh*

Roland, there are still faults with the TDW-1. But you've satisfied the expansion capability thing of the TD-10, and I don't suppose there'll be any more of that stuff happening again, then, will there?!

Oh, if my TD-10 were a JV-1080... I played with one of these things and saw the massive expansion libraries for it. If the V's had plug-in (plug-and-play) expansion capability instead of take-apart-and-slot-in-then-put-back-together expansion capability...

...then I would be having fun. *sigh*

Sorry. I went a bit off-topic there... but it's good to have a nice rant once in a while, if only a mild one... you haven't seen me get reeeeeeeally pi$$ed...
          "I do what I like, and I like what I do."

Comment

I really want to have global settings for pad/rim volume...

- Hans
            I was thinking about why Roland didn't provide this since the addition of the global pan settings was such a nice feature. Looking at how this feature would function, I don't think it would accomplish it's task. Consider: After owning a V-Pro for ~2.5 yrs, most of my kits have been tweaked to death. Bottom line is: any two kits with the same settings (effects, ambience, compression, EQ, shells, etc) are hard to come by. Because there are so many variables from kit to kit, if I had a global volume setting, I still would have to make individual volume adjustments to compensate for the different effects, compression, etc. Take a dry kit and a kit with heavy use of effects, amb, EQ, etc., give them the same pad volume settings and compare. Some samples are also hotter than others, some snares in particular. These require volume adjusts. I have used volume differences like 100 vs 120 on some snares to achieve the same volume from kit to kit. My guess is Roland opt'ed out on this feature since there were so many variables affecting the overall volume it would end up being criticized as not working as advertised.

The other thing I was recently thinking about is the TDW-2. How would this work? Would it give you all the features, sounds, kits as the TD-10 and TDW-1 AND provide new features, kits, sounds as well? How many iterations of exp cards can they do this with? With technological advances in chips is this not a big deal to do and be reasonably priced? I sure wouldn't want to give up sounds, kits and features to get the next card.

Sorry for the long winded post. Gotta stop to do some more thinking.

Comment

It's still a drum module, if you want something more, Roland obviously thinks it's the end all drum module, so why add anything to it. After all, we're only drummers, nice attitude on their part. No, I'm afraid it's going to be a different module down the road, it's Roland's style, look at how many synth modules there have been since '97.
              Drumkat Turbo 4.5, Emulator X3, Superior 2.1, Roland Fantom XR, DTXtreme III, SPD-20 etc.......

Comment

Originally posted by jrcel:
                ...No, I'm afraid it's going to be a different module down the road...
                I suspect you're right. Sounds like planned obsolescence. If that's how it goes, I won't be surprised.

Comment

Working...
                X