Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

V-Pros All Mapled Up (finally)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• V-Pros All Mapled Up (finally)

I know many of you have been asking for pics once I got this done. I'm VERY pleased with the results. Thank you hmasing!

------------------
    Drooling Dog
    - Scott

NICE
    Do you have any immediate plans to spice up the tom clamps?
    Steve

'I only ever quote myself - except when I quote someone else' - me

, plenty of , and , , triggered acoustics, , and a plethora of PA blah blah freakin blah...I mean does anyone care about the specifics of pedals, speakers, processors, hardware or anything that I'm using?? :confused: Hmmm, maybe this is an appropriate place to mention that I tried out a new cymbal stand the other day...

Comment

Originally posted by Steveo the Devo:
      NICE
      Do you have any immediate plans to spice up the tom clamps?
      Since Drooling Dog and I used the same method for decorating our drums, I will say that *I* intend to prime and paint the bright white tom mounts matte black. I think that will work nicely with the black rims and dark tones of the birds-eye maple.

- Hans

[This message has been edited by hmasing (edited August 21, 2001).]
      - Hans

Comment

Yup, very nice indeed. Got any bigger pics?
        Roland TD-20 v1.08, various v-drums and v-cymbals, Yamaha KP65's, Axis pedals, Gibraltar hardware, Mackie 1202/SRM450 (pre-china)

Comment

Nice, double D.
          Any cautions, tips after doing the whole kit?

Comment

Got any bigger pics?
            Just this one:

Since Drooling Dog and I used the same method for decorating our drums, I will say that *I* intend to prime and paint the bright white tom mounts matte black.
            Great minds do think alike. I was actually thinking of doing the same thing. I don't want to be a total copycatter, so I'll look into other options. Chrome, perhaps. They definitely need something.

Any cautions, tips after doing the whole kit?
            Not really. It was very simple. Just do one at a time so you have a built drum to look it if you forget where something goes.

------------------
            Drooling Dog
            - Scott

Comment

I followed the "contact paper" topics lately with some interest, and decided to look into it for myself. After shopping around several different places, I never saw a contact paper that I liked, so I got radical.

I took the PD-100/120's apart completely, masked off the bearing edges and rubber bottoms, and scuffed the plastic covering with medium/fine sandpaper. I painted them using a spray can paint that gave them a "hammered metal" finish, the color being a sort of charcoal/gun metal. I also sanded the tom mounts and painted them flat black using plain old BBQ/hi-temp paint. Mixing those with the chrome lugs & chrome/black rims, I have to say that the results look great IMHO, but I don't have any pix to display. I'll try to get some soon and share with the class.

I know, it is a little more permanent than the contact paper, but just as cheap, and it would only take disassemby and wiping with thinner to take it off if I wanted to refinish them later. My only concern is that the finish won't be very durable. Ahhhh, such is life. Neither is the DW satin oil finish, though!!!!

One thing I noticed when taking them apart: The bearing edges on the PD-120's were much sharper than the bearing edges on the PD-100's! Good thing we don't rely on them for sound, eh?

Also discovered that my blue cones were deteriorating faster than I thought. Replacement time soon...

-Danny
              -Danny

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Comment

I almost forgot. One final suggestion. Put the seam under a lug.

------------------
                Drooling Dog
                - Scott

Comment

[quote]Originally posted by Drooling Dog:
                  [B]
                  Got any bigger pics?
                  Just this one:

Looks like yamaha`s pad~~~
                  but cool~~

Comment

fartnokker,

Sounds very cool. I look forward to seeing the pics.

------------------
                    Drooling Dog
                    - Scott

Comment

Senor Dog,

So how quiet are those Hart cymbals?

Comment

Wow,
                        I just looked again and noticed you did the interiors too.
                        Nice attention to detail.
                        The original Gig Pig.

Comment

Ditto on shopping for contact paper and not finding anything. I found the wood patterns and I like them, but I think I want something different. Anyone got any clues to some contact paper websites. I didn't have any luck at that either?
                          Tom

Comment

Originally posted by ccash:
                            Senor Dog,

So how quiet are those Hart cymbals?
                            They are loud as hell. The ride ain't bad, but the crashes are very loud. Even louder than the Visu-lite China. I'm not talking about "real cymbal" loud, but much lounder than the Rolands.

------------------
                            Drooling Dog
                            - Scott

Comment

Originally posted by acidbran:
                              Wow,
                              I just looked again and noticed you did the interiors too.
                              Nice attention to detail.
                              Actually, no I didn't. But that's a damn good idea. I'm about burnt out on decorating these things though. I spent many hours sanding, chemically treating and painting my tom mounts black today. Pics soon.

------------------
                              Drooling Dog
                              - Scott

Comment

Working...
                              X