Announcement

Collapse

Lounge Posting Guidelines

E-DRUMMING DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST PRODUCT OR TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

This Is Getting Expensive!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This Is Getting Expensive!

I bought my V-Pro about 3 months ago. After laying down the cash for an extra kick trigger, two DW pedals, a snare stand and a throne, I figured I was set for life.

A month later I discovered the Hart and Visu-lite cymbals. Of course, I had to get a Visu-lite China, 2 Hart crashes and a Hart ride.

In the meantime, I joined a band. They have an old TD-5 based kit for rehearsals that their previous drummer really beat the hell out of. The throne was so hammered that the height couldn't be adjusted. Last Monday I dropped $70.00 on a new one. I finally got tired of their crappy (single) pedal and mis-firing kick trigger. Last night I ordered 2 more DW pedals and 2 Pintech Vertikick triggers. There's another $500. Fortunately I was able to replace the non-working pads with my (now) extra cymbal pads.

Does the madness ever end?

------------------
    Drooling Dog
    - Scott

Drolling,
    ' I don't think it does end I was going to buy some v cymbals at least the
    CY6 but I hear the pro and cons and I am not sure .I am using the Hart cymbals now and I acually like the Yamaha pads PCY 80 they work well for me. I am kinda like you I have to stop somewhere , I don't have time to send my td 10 back to Roland for the cymbal upgrade .I use it in the studio alot along with and acoustic kit. Do the cymbals work without the upgrade I have read conflicking threads some say it will you just don't get the three trigger ride , this stuff is changing way too fast too keep up with if you gig alot.Anyway to answer your question I don't think it will ever end I have a Vdrum and ddrum4 and a Yamaha DS 10 setup (and 2 acoustic sets)and am still looking for more it's a sickness .LOL Have a good day !!!

Zeke

[This message has been edited by zekedrum (edited August 08, 2001).]

Comment

Dog,

This may be a strange question . . .

Why don't you take your first DW pedals, throne & kick trigger to the rehearsal rather than buying new ones?

I guess I'm not alone here in having to tear down and set up my entire kit each time I rehearsed . . . just having to take pedals, a throne and the odd trigger would be luxury! Luxury I say . . .
      Andy
      TD-20, Pair of JBL-Eon15 G2's & Sub

Check out the demo tracks to hear my V's at

http://www.thebrokenangelband.co.uk/

Comment

Originally posted by Oz DrumR:
        Dog,

This may be a strange question . . .

Why don't you take your first DW pedals, throne & kick trigger to the rehearsal rather than buying new ones?
        That's an easy question; because I'm too damn lazy! I'm also thinking of getting another set of DW pedals to keep under my office desk. I work from home, so I could thump all day long with no complaints.

------------------
        Drooling Dog
        - Scott

Comment

Originally posted by Drooling Dog:
          I'm also thinking of getting another set of DW pedals to keep under my office desk. I work from home, so I could thump all day long with no complaints.
          That is one hell of a good idea! I am constantly playing "double bass" on the office floor, with keyboard for hi-hat, mouse for snare, and mousepad for toms...
          Roland TD-20 v1.08, various v-drums and v-cymbals, Yamaha KP65's, Axis pedals, Gibraltar hardware, Mackie 1202/SRM450 (pre-china)

Comment

Originally posted by ufotofu:
            That is one hell of a good idea! I am constantly playing "double bass" on the office floor, with keyboard for hi-hat, mouse for snare, and mousepad for toms...

Are you guys hiring?

------------------
            szvook
            Studio

Comment

szvook,

Nope. Sorry. I just got rid of the one guy who worked for me. Thank God. I missed my space!

------------------
              Drooling Dog
              - Scott

Comment

If you think it's expensive, then it will be. If you think of it as an investment, then it really becomes a bargain. Example:

I have about $6,000 tied up in my VDrums, including speakers, cases, extras and outgear.

I have about $4,500 tied up with my acoustic 'dream' set and very $$$ cymbals.

I have one sound with my acoustics - cost $4,500 per kit or $450 per sound, with a resale value of only about $1,500, if I'm lucky.

I have over 1000 sounds and 100 drum kits with my VDrums - cost about $60 per drum kit or less than $6 per sound, with a resale value of about $4000.

Figure in the convienance of getting to play more with the VDrums at home any time I want(priceless), can jam right with a CD mix-in, ability to create new kits any time I want, can adjust my volume to suit the gig, have 1000+ sounds available at my finger tips, save over $250 in studio set-up each time we record, don't have to buy $500 - $1500 in drum mics for larger venues - well you add it up - it's a bargain at twice the price.

Now I'm still a penny pincher, so a lot of my outgear and extras have been bought used on EBay, but heck - everythings used after day one.

Set for life - heck no.... Retailing is too smart to ever allow the consumer the luxuray of thinking he is set and doesn't need the next greatest variation on the market.

Enjoy the ride and be thankful we have our V's!!
                Driving a great song is better than driving a great car!!

http://mysite.verizon.net/landin82/

Comment

Originally posted by TomLandin:
                  I have over 1000 sounds and 100 drum kits with my VDrums - cost about $60 per drum kit or less than $6 per sound, with a resale value of about $4000.
                  TomLandin,

How does this work? You purchased drum kits for your V-Drums?

------------------
                  Drooling Dog
                  - Scott

Comment

V's!!
                    I never thought of it like that before. I am starting to feel better already.

Kurt

Kurt

Pearl drums converted with hart adc, roland kd7's, pd 120 for snare, various roland rubber pads, hart e cymbals and pads, td8, td6, 2 mackie srm450s and mackie sub. mackie sr 24-4 mixer........and always growing.

Comment

Yeah, not to mention I've got more in the board I use on 'em, and the outboard gear than in the drums themselves (although the drums continue growing by the day), but looking at it this way, with the layered Alesis sounds, Akai samples, as well as the sonic maximizer, aural exciter, gate, verb, e.q., etc. give me just roughly over a zillion sounds. That's a great way to look at it. But even more...

To the naysayers who point out that I can only play one kit at a time, you are missing the point. I am designing exactly what I want, and when that changes the drums will change with me. If I need two, three or ten dramatically different kits in any given session, show, etc., no problem. To those who fall back on sonic arguments, whatever. I can and do create sounds that suit me and just plain rock. When I occasionally want to play with a sound exactly from here or there or sound like one of my acoustic sets, my sampler can/does do that. But a sampler isn't necessary, just a luxury. Personally, I'm trying to create something individual that others will copy, not vice versa.

With something like a V-Club, somone can do a lot for the price of a decent acoustic set. I know that is a lot of money for most folks, but pretty good "bang" for the buck. I've been into percussion for over 25 years now and I will have more $ in e's (when I'm done) than any acoustic setup I've ever toured with.

So I guess what I'm saying is this. They aren't giving this gear away, even entry level kits, but IMO value for money is awesome. Creative potential, individuality, etc., are limited more by your imagination than your pocketbook, but there are plently of ways (some even good) to spend $ if you want to.

Comment

I agree. BTW, I'm new here, having just gotten a set of V-Clubs. Anyway, even though I just dropped some big bucks on these things, I figure that with the ability to design different setups for different purposes, it really is like having many different kits in the room. And when you factor out the price per kit as well as factoring in how many different ways you can add to, subtract from, and/or tweak each kit each time you use it, the value really is astounding, IMHO. Imagine, realizing that you'll need a specific instrument and being able to just dial it up! Sure beats the hell out of having to get up, go to the music store, and lay down the cash for the same item. And, yeah, nothing beats the "real thing", but hey, when it's just me and the music, I think what I got with the V-Drums is more than enough for me. For now, anyway...

Pleased to meet you all,
                        Bob

Comment

Hi Bob (AKA HolShot)!!

Welcome aboard. Leave your coat on the stand over there and come join the party!!

Ashley.
                          "I do what I like, and I like what I do."

Comment

Originally posted by Drooling Dog:
                            TomLandin,

How does this work? You purchased drum kits for your V-Drums?

I am refering to the 50 TD-10 kits and the 50 TDW-1 kits.
                            Driving a great song is better than driving a great car!!

http://mysite.verizon.net/landin82/

Comment

dr. kildrum, I have a Behringer 2200 with big bottom, will this do the same as the sonic maximizer and aural exciter? I have some processing gear, and building an effects processing rack for my e drums. i'd like to get some insight on your set up and what you advise. you can e mail me at [email protected] So far I have a D-5, Alesis R-12 mixer, quad 2 reverb, Alesis compressor, alesis stereo 31 band EQ, Behringer 2200 exciter, rolls power conditioner x 2, 2 x DBX noise gates, behringer patch bay, 8 and 4 space rack to hold everything, and waiting for a Dm Pro. I converted acoustics with silent mesh heads and using a Gibralar rack. Have a second Alesis EQ, 2 more DBX noise gates, and extra 8 space rack in case I expand the set up. how are you using the Akai, i'm really interested in your set up. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                              X