Announcement

Collapse

Lounge Posting Guidelines

E-DRUMMING DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST PRODUCT OR TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

That's my story and I'm STICK-N-to it...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That's my story and I'm STICK-N-to it...

This may seem like a lame post but.......What kind of sticks do you use and why?? Try to include type, length, diameter, tip, wood, metal, etc. How do you hold them? Do you spin or twirl? Do you use gloves? Different sticks for different styles? etc.......

I use different sticks depending on styles.

For rock and hard-hitting stuff, I use a pair of those red Dave Weckl signature sticks from Vic Firth, or a pair of AHEAD aluminium sticks (5B - very hard-hitting!!). For jazz/funk/fusion, I tend to use a pair of Vic Firth's American Classic Jazz 8D's.
    "I do what I like, and I like what I do."

Comment

I don't use gloves, and I use match grip for rock/metal/hard-hitting stuff, and trad. grip for the light stuff like jazz/funk/fusion.
      "I do what I like, and I like what I do."

Comment

Without a doubt the best stick I have ever played, and what I feel is the best stick ever made........I use AHEAD 5B's made by Easton. These are the sticks that have a metal handel with a hard plastic sleeve and a screw-on tip. You can see them here, but you should be able to find them for under $20.00... http://www.musiciansfriend.com/ex/sh...738?pid=445200

These are great. Balance is perfect, great feel. One pair, will last you forever if you play V's. I play rock, and I wrap my stick with tape for my left hand and leave the right one clean. But if you have never tried AHEAD sticks, you own it to yourself. If you are playing high-tech drums, why not try high-tech sticks????
        Jason

or you could try those electronic sticks for your electronic drums
        :rolleyes:

Comment

Don't use gloves either. Wrap a small elastic around the bottom of the stick for sweat hands.
          Robert

Comment

Another vote for the Ahead 5B's . . . I had a pair bought for xmas - they're fantastic: I doubt I will ever go back to wood.

I actually used to play 7A's because of their weight, but these Ahead 5B's are quite light.

And yes . . . they will probably outlast the V's! (unless you're using acoustic cymbals). The only sign of wear after 6 months of daily use is a small area of silver is starting to come through where the plastic sleve joins.

I can't say enough about these - as jgel, you owe it to youself (and your V's!) to try these guys.

Grip: Traditional for jazz & funk. Matched for most other styles.

Just a quick (?) tale about grip . . . Last night I went to a Mapex Clinic done by Greg Bissonette (who was very inspirational). He told a story about when he went and auditioned for Stevie Wonder. He didn't get the gig, but whilst at the audition Stevie said - 'hey Greg, can you lead me over to the drums'? Which Greg did. Stevie sat down and holding his sticks about half way down, and in tightly closed fists (not too dissimilar to the way you'd hold a turkey drumstick!. Anyway, he laid down this mega funky groove. After 16 or so bars he stood up and said 'Now Greg, let me hear you play that!'. Greg didn't.

Anyway - Greg's message was simply that however you hold your sticks, if it works for you then it's right FOR YOU. I don't want to go down the Matched V's Traditional Vs . . . . again, just thought that was a nice tale to share!

Andy
            Andy
            TD-20, Pair of JBL-Eon15 G2's & Sub

Check out the demo tracks to hear my V's at

http://www.thebrokenangelband.co.uk/

Comment

I concur on the AHEAD sticks. Great sticks!!!!!
              I went from VATER Power 5A & 5B to AHEAD Tommy Lee Concert 17 model and the response from the edrums/ecymbals has gotten better for me.

------------------
              szvook
              Studio

Comment

I use Zildjian 5a Dips. I Love the dip grip, but it really eats your hands up until you get used to it.

------------------
                Drooling Dog
                - Scott

Comment

I have had my sticks for a year and a half, and they still look perfect. These are the best. I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks so, but I don't see how this company is going to stay in business if the sticks last forever???

Comment

Originally posted by Jgel:
                    I have had my sticks for a year and a half, and they still look perfect. These are the best. I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks so, but I don't see how this company is going to stay in business if the sticks last forever???

No returns from customers could be one reason

------------------
                    szvook
                    Studio

Comment

I am currently using vic firth 5a wood tip, but you all have me thinking about the ahead sticks. Would a ahead 5a be too light compared too a wood 5a? I would hate to lay out $29 on a set and not like them.

Kurt
                      Kurt

Pearl drums converted with hart adc, roland kd7's, pd 120 for snare, various roland rubber pads, hart e cymbals and pads, td8, td6, 2 mackie srm450s and mackie sub. mackie sr 24-4 mixer........and always growing.

Comment

Kurt,
                        You should be able to find them for $15.00-$20.00. Weight should not be an issue at all. Perfect balance and weight. I am surprised that this never came up before, it seems like a no brainer. I will try and find a link for you, for try midwest.

Comment

You can get them for $14.00 here!!!!!!! I have no idea if this is a good place to buy, but I paid $29.99 for mine, I might order a second pair!!!http://www.coyneceltic.com/drumsale.htm

Comment

I have been using Vic Firth 5A Nylons for so long I can't remember...but I am interested in checking out the Ahead 5A's. A long time ago I used some monster non-wood sticks that were great (Aquarian, maybe?) but I remember that they were relatively heavy and left black marks and tended to dent my drumheads more than normal. Anyway, instead of ordering the Aheads online, I think I'll stop by Guitar Center or Chuck Levin's so I can see how they feel before I buy...

(edit: at that price, maybe I'll go ahead an order online!)

[This message has been edited by Jimmy C (edited July 03, 2001).]
                            E-drums: TD-20, RT-5S triggers on snare/toms, KD-7s, VH12, CY-14Cs, CY-15R, Pintech splash.
                            A-drums: Zickos (amber) w/ all Zildjians.

Comment

You guys are the best...Aheads huh? Hmmmmmmmm............Lets see (adding up cost of everything so far) Sure why not!!
                              $20 bux seems reasonable for a pair of sticks that last forever.......

Jeff

Comment

Working...
                              X