Announcement

Collapse

Lounge Posting Guidelines

E-DRUMMING DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST PRODUCT OR TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

Decorating your vdrums?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Decorating your vdrums?

With Roland FINALLY coming out with red and purple kits, I was wondering if anyone out there besides me had never been happy with the stock white of the shells and decorated them at all?

Since I play primarily in folk/rock bands, I used Con-tact paper to cover my shells with a nice birds-eye maple finish. This looked nice contrasted with my brass cymbals and wooden LP conga. The pattern I used is discontinued, but the heavy-duty con-tact papers can be seen online at http://www.contactbrand.com//catalog.asp?pls=5&bb=&id= . This was done by completely removing everything from the shell, cutting the adhesive-backed paper to fit, and carefully adhering it to the shells. Then, everything (lugs, heads, trigger assemblies, etc) was put back on the drums.

The result?

V-Drums that don't look at all like electronics. They look like shallow drums made of fine maple.

(I will post pics some time soon)

I had seriously considered going with a granite finish using con-tact paper, or even using the faux-stone finishes (http://www.plasti-kote.com/homefash/templateinfo.cfm?product=Fleckstone) in spray cans. I thought it would be VERY cool to play stone drums. But, the spray paint solution is pretty much permanent, and the con-tact paper comes right off if I ever want to change it. I found that one roll is enough to cover all the pads, and KD-120 and still have a little left over.

Anyone else done anything like this to get rid of the boring old white finish? I can see some really cool things to do with the racks using ropes, wires, paints, etc. But, my suspicion is that those ideas would play better in industrial or hard rock bands. :-)

- Hans
    - Hans

I once read an article about the Lenny Kravitz drumster, she has V-drums in a custom paint finish, matching her acoustic kit
    Music was my first love...

Comment

I made 2 DIY bass drums and use exactly your method.

There is really a lot of choice in colour and patterns, but I still use white ~~~ (the DIYs is black originally)

trying to post some photo soon~~~

Comment

Yahoo has photo storage available now that you can link to. You can store up to 30MB and it's free.......
        http://y42.photos.yahoo.com/

Jeff

Comment

I always liked the white pads, the only beef I had with them was that they seemed a bit lifeless and flat under stage lights. But then again, it is Remo's Quadura covering, and no matter what you do, it most times looks flat, unless it's their chrome finishes. So, I decided a while back that I wanted to spice up the looks of my white pads, liven them up a bit for stage lighting, and the solution was clear. White sparkle wrap from Precision Drums! Sadly, they didn't have white sparkle, but they said they'd rewrap the pads for me if I sent them the material.

I haven't found white sparkle wrap yet, so if you guys have any pointers, I'd be very happy!
          Heck, if I don't fnd white sparkle, I'll go white marine pearl. V-Jazz, baby!

Stu
          "Fry that sound effect, Moriarty, we're having it for breakfast"

Comment

Those who have customized, please share your pics.

Comment

Hans,

I think the con-tact paper is a great idea, and certainly looks better than the default plastic-looking white. I especially like the granite look. How difficult was it to fit the con-tact paper to size? Did you use a drill for the mounting holes? Is it sticky enough that it won't ever come off unless you deliberately pull it off? And finally, how much did you pay for a roll, and what size did you get? Whoa, that's a lot of questions. This looks like a fun project...
              Roland TD-20 v1.08, various v-drums and v-cymbals, Yamaha KP65's, Axis pedals, Gibraltar hardware, Mackie 1202/SRM450 (pre-china)

Comment

Boy am I intrigued. In addition to ufotofu's questions:

How hard is it to peel off if you want it off?

------------------
                Drooling Dog
                - Scott

Comment

Originally posted by dr. kildrum:
                  Those who have customized, please share your pics.
                  Yeah I would like to see some as well...

Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by ufotofu:
                    Hans,

I think the con-tact paper is a great idea, and certainly looks better than the default plastic-looking white. I especially like the granite look.
                    Yeah, I thought of it when I realized that the sterile white plastic look made the V-Drums look fake. I contacted Roland with the idea of offering nicely finished wood shells, but haven't heard back yet.

How difficult was it to fit the con-tact paper to size? Did you use a drill for the mounting holes?
                    No! And that's the beauty of it. All of the shells are the same height, I think, but even if they aren't there are only two sizes. No drilling is necessary, and the only hard part is cutting around the 1/4" input jack. I used an X-acto knife to cut around it, leaving just enough slack in the contact paper to push underneath the silver flashing. Start placement of the paper at the trigger jack to make less cutting.

And don't waste time trying to cut out the holes for the lugs. Just position the lugs over the holes and press - they pop right through the Con-tact paper making perfectly neat holes.

Is it sticky enough that it won't ever come off unless you deliberately pull it off? And finally, how much did you pay for a roll, and what size did you get?
                    I haven't had any sign of wear in six months, and that's about six to eight gigs a month. So, in my opinion it's pretty durable. I take really really good care of my drums - they are either on my rack or in the hard case, so the odds of damage aren't too bad. The only drum not in a case (HELLO, ROLAND!) is the KD-120 and that has held up well enough.

About amount - I originally got four rolls of the Ultra Con-tact paper (it's thicker and more durable than the regular), but have three rolls unopened. So, one roll is enough to do an entire kit. I also tried the paper on the pd-7 pad, and *I* think it looks cool, but my wife thinks it looks stupid. :-)

Whoa, that's a lot of questions. This looks like a fun project...
                    Very fun, and I will say that people don't even suspect electronics until they walk up. I had one guy tell me after a gig that he had no idea that such shallow shells couls make such rich sounds, and how did I tune them? I replied 'easy - I tune them by hitting the "kit" button, then "Insrument", selecting the right button under the display, and then spinning my dial.' Hehehe.

- Hans
                    - Hans

Comment

Thanks for the info. Looks like I will have to invest in some con-tact paper.

I have another idea. Has anybody tried to "chrome" their tom mounts, i.e. remove the factory white paint and have a chrome finish put on instead?
                      Roland TD-20 v1.08, various v-drums and v-cymbals, Yamaha KP65's, Axis pedals, Gibraltar hardware, Mackie 1202/SRM450 (pre-china)

Comment

I beleive the pad mounts are aluminum(not positive) which is difficult to chrome. If they are indeed aluminum, they could be buffed to look very close to chrome. I think the new mounts are sandblasted and then anodized black which is very difficult to remove.

Comment

Originally posted by ufotofu:
                          I have another idea. Has anybody tried to "chrome" their tom mounts, i.e. remove the factory white paint and have a chrome finish put on instead?[/B]
                          I'm looking for the obverse - I would like my white mounts to be the anodized black, since it would look WAY better against the birds-eye maple background. Anyone either want to trade their black mounts for white, or have any ideas that would be better than spray paint? :-)

- Hans
                          - Hans

Comment

This is a cool idea and by the way most
                            Wal-Marts,Home Depots,and K-marts carry the Contact brand of paper . Just thought somebody might want to know. Later

Comment

Chrome rims, speckled granite shells..... hmmm, sounds like you guys are having Pintech envy

Comment

Working...
                              X