Announcement

Collapse

Lounge Posting Guidelines

E-DRUMMING DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST PRODUCT OR TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

Faq?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Faq?

Hi all I am looking for a faq is there one around? I saw a thread and it appeared that there is one in the works but not ready. Is there one for e-drums in general? I am buying some e-drums soon and I am thinking about these v-drums. Problem is I KNOW NEXT TO NOTHING. I don't know about midi, I don't know about triggers or zones or mesh or pd 4000's, I don't know my ass from a hole in the ground to be blunt. The only thing I know is that when I sat on a kit at MARS I was grinning from ear to ear. Searching the web on this topic brings up whole strings of info that is either irrelevant or just plain 404. The employee at MARS was on the phone the whole time I was there..there was another guy and he knew alot about congas and djembes but nothing about vdrums. It seems a lot of people are unhappy with their purchase. Is this a minority that are having localized problems? I have been searching thread after thread here...I would even pay money for a primer on this subject...I think there is a market opportunity here for a writer...

-halfnote

Originally posted by halfnote:
    I have been searching thread after thread here...I would even pay money for a primer on this subject...I think there is a market opportunity here for a writer...

-halfnote

So what exactly are you searching for on this forum? Everything is here to be honest.

PS: How much $ you got?

------------------
    szvook
    Studio

Comment

FAQ - SCHMAQ ... we have most xlnt search engine!

Comment

Yeah..hey Marc thanks..you are a lot of help. I 'll make sure you get your "momma's lil' helper" badge this year.

I'm just looking for info in a linear format that pertains to newbies. It's a common thing, plenty of forums on the web that have xlnt search engines have them. The engine here told me that this forum did not have specifically for vdrums. So I am asking if someone knows of another resource. If I had a foundation, then I would know exactly what to search for here. I'll keep looking for it..thanks.

[This message has been edited by halfnote (edited August 02, 2001).]

Comment

..I got around 5 grand szvook. What setup would you spend it on?

Comment

Halfnote, welcome aboard.
            This is surely a frustrating situation. Those who have been around a while on this board arn't really keen to reignite posts that have been discussed ad nauseam. Marc is also correct, we have a great search engine but like you said if you don't know your arse from your elbow then it isn't much help.
            A FAQ area is getting a little overdue here, but all the answers are already here IF you know what questions to ask.

If you don't really have a clue about edrums try searching for a TD* vs TD* debate, or TD* vs Ddrum4, and throw in a Yamaha dtxtreme for good measure (there must be hundreds of these discussions and reviews by now). This will inform you of the most noticeable differences between each unit.

Also try the manufacturers websites and read their blurb. This will help you identify varying components of the systems (PD7, PD9, PD-120, FD7, KD80, Hart stuff, Yamaha stuff...).

Finally get back into the music shops and play everything edrum you can get your hands on. No amount of discussion enlightens like first hand experience.

Hopefully we will have a FAQ area on this board soon. Perhaps with links to the most popular discussions. Till then, you will have to make the most of what we have got.

Good luck.
            Steve

'I only ever quote myself - except when I quote someone else' - me

, plenty of , and , , triggered acoustics, , and a plethora of PA blah blah freakin blah...I mean does anyone care about the specifics of pedals, speakers, processors, hardware or anything that I'm using?? :confused: Hmmm, maybe this is an appropriate place to mention that I tried out a new cymbal stand the other day...

Comment

Originally posted by halfnote:
              ..I got around 5 grand szvook. What setup would you spend it on?

For starters: a TD-8, Hart for pads/cymbals (a rack, hi-hat (optional) & kick pedals a given), a 12-channel mixer, a BBE 462, effect processor and what ever is left over for a PA system.

To me that would be a good start in getting into edrums.

------------------
              szvook

[This message has been edited by szvook (edited August 03, 2001).]
              Studio

Comment

half,

Your question is so broad, that it is very difficult for anyone to answer. So some won't bother. Others will point you to hundreds of threads here where endless details and comparisons have been argued many many times. Still others with understandable pride in the decision and investment they have made, may argue that what they chose is best.

I would suggest to you that only your ear and feel will tell you what's right for you. To make this decision well will take both time and effort, but is worth the investment of both. To illustrate I would sheepishly admit that it took me many hours just to select a bass drum pedal for my vdrums, and I couldn't even begin to do that until I first picked the kit and knew what type of pad I would be hitting, and because that pad was mesh, how tight it would be adjusted (to get the best feel and triggering without false triggering), and so forth, etc.

Anyway, here is some advice. I did a ton of research just like I suggest you do. These are just my opinions, but maybe some of it will be helpful to you.

The Roland vdrums and the Clavia ddrums are generally considered to be two of the best products out there. Look for threads here on the benefits shortcomings of each and the major differences. Decide what's important to you. If possible, DEMO THEM BOTH. They are both excellent.

Try playing on both pads and mesh headed electronic drums to determine if you prefer one. Both Roland and Clavia now make both an option. Look for threads on this debate as to playability. Personal preference is the key. There is a similar debate as to the various types of kick triggers. Do us all a favor and don't ever ask which one "rules" around here. (Try 'em all.) Even if you decide on a kit that comes with this one or that, you can almost always swith these out.

Lastly consider the type of music you will be playing and where. If you are not very technical and/or patient, you may want to gravitate towards the manufacture that has sounds that suit you out of the box. If you are already into midi and sampling, and depending on the other gear you have, you may want to go in one direction or another. If you will play mostly at home, in a studio, or on the road, considerations such as weight, portability, durability may be considerations as well as size and technical specs.

Once you zero in on a manufacturer and pad type, there are plenty comparisons available on available kits, or advice on builiding a custom kit from components. Once you finally get down to more specific questions, it will be easier for us to help. Remember much of what you hear is subjective opinion.

The good news is that with $5 large, you can buy yourself a fantastic kit. Take your time so that you don't look back a few months after buying and say, "I shoulda..."

Comment

V-DRUMS RULE!!!

OK, I will stop. Really, dr. kildrum just gave you all that you need to know. There are many different ways to pick or choose. I started awhile ago with the old TD-7 kit. And when the VDrums came out, I didn't have to try out all the other options, I knew what I wanted. I just had to save some money. The best advice I can give to someone who has never owned an e-kit is go to your local Music "SUPER STORE" and plan on spending a few hours just sitting behind every e-kit that they have. See what you like and don't like. Ask yourself why you don't like something. Play and play. BUT...if you decide to go the the VDrums, SHOP AROUND. If I was doing it now, I would buy the VPro set and ADD-ON from there. You can get such a great deal on the VPRO's, but again, try a search on this site, once you find what you like. See what others have said. See if people have had problems. But HAVE FUN. This is a huge purchase for most people, so make sure you get what you want.
                  :rolleyes:

Comment

Originally posted by feefer:

And re: the "I KNOW NEXT TO NOTHING" comment, well, the good news is that someone who knows next to nothing and buys will probably be happy with next to anything, just as long as they remain ignorant (or refuse to expend a bit of effort to educate themselves on options before buying).

[This message has been edited by feefer (edited August 03, 2001).]

DAMN, that is a good point. Deep feefer, very deep. (really that is a good point) Maybe you can help me....I have been having this dream where I a running.....oh crap, forget it

Oh yea, one last thing.....Like sands through the hourglass, so are the days of our lives.......

Comment

Originally posted by feefer:
                      Thanks.

I was inspired by the Sphinx (famous for lines like, "You must be like a wolf pack, not like a six-pack.") in the movie, "Mystery Men".

Chris

Dude, I freakin LOVE those lines from that movie. "You wanna see my secret powers....pull my finger."

Comment

Thx for the help to all. I have accumulated quiet a bit of info..when I get it all sorted perhaps i will formulate it into a newbie faq.

Comment

Just got back from a pig out at our favorite Mexican restaurant. You don't want to be pullin any fingers at my house tonight!

Kit Pic 1 Kit Pic 2 Kit Pic 3... And FOR SALE I have: 3 PD-9's, MDS-10 purple rack w/cables/pad and cym mounts. See classified posts for details or PM me.

Comment

Boingo. Drunk again????
                            Steve

'I only ever quote myself - except when I quote someone else' - me

, plenty of , and , , triggered acoustics, , and a plethora of PA blah blah freakin blah...I mean does anyone care about the specifics of pedals, speakers, processors, hardware or anything that I'm using?? :confused: Hmmm, maybe this is an appropriate place to mention that I tried out a new cymbal stand the other day...

Comment

Originally posted by Steveo the Devo:
                              Boingo. Drunk again????
                              Haven't been drunk in over 10 years. Just picking up on Jgel's "pull my finger" remark.
                              http://members.aon.at/ingyland/
                              Kit Pic 1 Kit Pic 2 Kit Pic 3... And FOR SALE I have: 3 PD-9's, MDS-10 purple rack w/cables/pad and cym mounts. See classified posts for details or PM me.

Comment

Working...
                              X