Announcement

Collapse

Lounge Posting Guidelines

E-DRUMMING DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST PRODUCT OR TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

Rick Allen's custom triggering unit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rick Allen's custom triggering unit

http://www.whirlwindusa.com/deflep.html
    Drumkat Turbo 4.5, Emulator X3, Superior 2.1, Roland Fantom XR, DTXtreme III, SPD-20 etc.......

Thought he was playing Hart Dynamics pads.
    Robert

Comment

Originally posted by puttenvr:
      Thought he was playing Hart Dynamics pads.
      He does.

Go to www.hartdynamics.com enter then click Backstage form the navigation bar and enter.

------------------
      szvook

[This message has been edited by szvook (edited July 20, 2001).]

Studio

Comment

It's a DW kit with Hart pads here and there with the custom triggering boxes going into two, Aphex Impulse interfaces which in turn go into two Akai samplers, an S3000 and a CD3000i, both with custom samples of his own drums. There is some info on the Aphex Impulse on the Hart site.
        Drumkat Turbo 4.5, Emulator X3, Superior 2.1, Roland Fantom XR, DTXtreme III, SPD-20 etc.......

Comment

Saw the VH1 storytellers Show few nights back and very sad to have them not show Allen much at all. anyone else notice this?

Comment

Saw it too.
            Would his DW snare on the set be triggered too?
            Probably as he is playing alternate Snare strokes between his right hand and left foot.

Real snare is probably only there for visuals or the occasional song?
            Good drummer.
            www.royfulton.co.uk, www.zendrum.com ,Tempus Drums, Istanbul Agop, Regal Tip, Alesis DMPro, D4,Garageband, HK Powerworks PA

Comment

I'm not sure, but I think I remember seeing a Ddrum trigger on the snare at some point. He is a very good drummer, not to mention his king size balls.

[This message has been edited by jrcel (edited July 23, 2001).]

Comment

Hmmm....
                Well, I've never seen his balls... but I also don't ever remember being all that impressed with his drumming, before or after the loss of his arm.

I certainly mean no disrespect (so please don't flame the sh|t out of me), I belive the guy has a tremendous ammount of courage for persevering when many would just quit, but I was just wondering what drum stuff you've heard by Ric Allen that makes him stand out in your opinion?

BINARY

Comment

I'm not into the chops by the boatload style of drumming. He plays what fits, period, can you really imagine Neal Peart playing twenty notes when two would suffice in a band like Def Leppard? Think about guys like Paul Leim, or Jim Keltner or even Jeff Pocaro, these guys have/had tons of chops, but when you hear them on a hit song, you don't really hear them, you hear the song. That's what it's all about for me, playing for the song. Nobody gets work by playing every song like it'a a showcase for them, not every situation requires overplaying. Rick Allen listens to what he hears and plays whats required. Dave Garabaldi is a great drummer, but he had alot of trouble getting work in LA because he was used to playing out every time he played, restraint is what's called for in most situations. It took me a long time to figure that out, in fact it happened in one audition, I was auditioning for a guy named Paul Sabu who after about 5 minutes into it, turned to me and said, you'd be a good drummer if you didn't play so godamned much. I got the gig and learned a great deal from him over the next two years. It's about the song. I just thought you might like to see what he uses to trigger his stuff with. I hope I didn't flame you.

[This message has been edited by jrcel (edited July 23, 2001).]

Comment

I have to agree with jrcl's response. I think Rick does a great job of playing what's right for the music he is supporting. I've known drummers who think they are "it" because they can play really fast or they can pull off some great double bass combinations, but when they are playing with the rest of the band, they just can't hold a steady tempo. I am much more impressed with the drummer who can lay down a nice, fat groove and let the song breathe than the person who blazes around the kit every 4 bars. Rick is great at what he does, for the style of music Def Leppard plays. You don't have to be the most technically proficient drummer to gain admiration by your peers.

Comment

Come on guys, the drums he used for that layout through the album where great--every song was a hit, the drums are the reason why!! what electronic drummer could actually play as hard on the road, with out the skills he has?? does anybody know where to obtain close up pics of his kit?? front and back?? did he ever do a video using that kit, with just him playing>?>?

Comment

I must say that I agree with both jrcel and james. I find that restraint is sometimes harder to learn than just a fill every other measure. I'm not the greatest drummer in the world but I find I always want to "accent" things to the point of over-playing them. It's almost like whenever the bass is dominant I try to follow it note for note after I finish with a few measures of a beat. Same for when the guitar riff is dominant. Instead of just laying down a solid, rocking groove that everyone can play and filling out the sound I try to be every musician in the band. This could very well be due to the fact that I'm not properly trained or practice as much as I should but that's me.

And back to the subject at hand. Rick Allen is a very good groove-pushing drummer. Is he the best? No. Is he the most proficient? No. Can he make you tap your foot and nod your head to song? Hell yeah!

Just my $.02

Comment

I'd give Rick Allen the biggest compliment I could ever give a rock drummer. He's solid as a rock.
                          Big inspiration, and a good lesson on restraint. And hat's off for carrying on after that accident, I don't know if I'd have had that willpower.

Stu
                          "Fry that sound effect, Moriarty, we're having it for breakfast"

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by BINARY:
                            [B]Hmmm....
                            Well, I've never seen his balls... but I also don't ever remember being all that impressed with his drumming, before or after the loss of his arm.

Speaking of drummers with no ability Lars of Metallica is the all time worst in my opinion but I'm sure you would get the same argument...He is just playing what he needs to.......Yeah Right!!

Jeff

Comment

Lars Ulrich? Playing? *cough*loops*cough*

Stu
                              "Fry that sound effect, Moriarty, we're having it for breakfast"

Comment

Working...
                              X