Announcement

Collapse

Lounge Posting Guidelines

E-DRUMMING DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST PRODUCT OR TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

Focusrite compunder: Szvook care to comment?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Focusrite compunder: Szvook care to comment?

Based on reading many, many great posts on the BBE maximizer, I took the plunge and it GREATLY increased the quality my live sound. Now I'm reading posts by Szvook that suggest the Focusrite Compounder for compression, gating etc. Svzook, could you enlighten us technophobes about the reasoning and operation of this unit. Many thanks!

P.S. Too bad BBE wasnt giving you commissions..I'll bet your posts have inspired MANY to buy!

I guess it's fair to say that the Compounder is the best analog compressor within it's price range.

The best digital compressor for that money is the TC Electronic Triple-C.
    Music was my first love...

Comment

Originally posted by TK:
      Based on reading many, many great posts on the BBE maximizer, I took the plunge and it GREATLY increased the quality my live sound. Now I'm reading posts by Szvook that suggest the Focusrite Compounder for compression, gating etc. Svzook, could you enlighten us technophobes about the reasoning and operation of this unit. Many thanks!

P.S. Too bad BBE wasnt giving you commissions..I'll bet your posts have inspired MANY to buy!
      The Compounder will give punch and clarity to the sounds plus smooth warmth that will increase dynamics of the sounds that canít be achieved internally.

The Compounder will make kick drums and bass riffs more powerful and snares/toms/cymbals more effective. The expander circuit generates extra bass harmonics to fatten up any low frequency signal and while compressing it will results in slamming sounds and when playing live; it can make you or break you as far as edrums go - regardless of the music style!

Many have mentioned that compression will flatten the sounds, not with this monster. You can achieve a wide range of dynamics with plenty of headroom so you can bring out the dynamics in certain sounds that you thought were dead (and the TDís have plenty of them).

In conjunction with a sonic maximizer such as the BBE, the sounds can be raised to another level since the dynamics are widened then compressed for results that will be felt Ė as in slamming against your chest results and crisp clarity for cymbals/hats.

The operation is based on your music type. The Compounder can give anyone a hand, itís not just a compressor per say, it will bring out the full potential of any edrum system.
      My settings are for techno style sounds so I canít give you the best settings, that you have to try on your own. I do use one Compounder channel for my kick and the other channel for my snare, although your need might vary.

The best thing is to go here - http://www.focusrite.com/products/platinum/p3.html and get the brochure and the user guide from their site. The user guide is laid out quite well compared to many other user guides/manuals Ė one other reason why I love the way these guys approach the consumer. It will contain settings for numerous applications as well as some default settings for a test run Ė pages 20 through 28.

Leave me your phone number @ 310.236.7078 and I can call you for more info if needed.

And I am not affiliated with the BBE crew (nor the Focusrite people), although I should contact them to see if their sales have gone up recently.

------------------
      szvook

[This message has been edited by szvook (edited July 29, 2001).]

[This message has been edited by szvook (edited July 30, 2001).]
      Studio

Comment

Working...
      X