Announcement

Collapse

Lounge Posting Guidelines

E-DRUMMING DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST PRODUCT OR TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

Playing Acoustics this weekend

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Playing Acoustics this weekend

Well, today I'm off to the "Stuebenville" Atlanta conference (a teen oriented Catholic weekend-long "rally"). I do a lot of this sort of thing (volunteer, usually, but not this event).

I will be playing my acoustics, which I just set back up and "tried" to tune a few weeks ago. Damn, they are LOUD. We fortunately will have a good sound guy with good equipment. We did this last year and even my untuned kit sounded really good.

Anyway, lots of playing for a guy who does not play THAT much. I'm sure I'll be sore. And it will probably take a bit to get back into the swing of using the Acoustics.

Just sharing, that's all.

redbrick
    My Updated Website: https://blades.technology

Originally posted by redbrick:
    Well, today I'm off to the "Stuebenville" Atlanta conference
    Why not take the e's?

Comment

Because I love my v-drums. This is an outdoor event (under a tent) and the equipment will remain setup the whole weekend. It is VERY humid here and at night, everything winds up covered with dew. I have a tarp for the acoustics, but they can handle the dampness MUCH better than I want to subject my E's to.

The church has a set of v-customs that I told them I don't want to use because I don't even want to ruin someone else's stuff.

It is also VERY dusty there...mostly grass and dirt around us.

redbrick
      My Updated Website: https://blades.technology

Comment

Got it. I live mainly in Atlanta now, so I'm very familiar with the weather here. Didn't realize it was an outdoor, multi-day deal.

Comment

I have to play my acoustic 99% of the time.
          The 4 bands I work with all prefer it and I have to say that as much as I love the vdrums they can't come close to the real thing.
          What I love about the vdrums is being able to warm up before the downbeat with headphones on and no one yelling at me to stop.
          I like the fact that I can change sounds and add some hip grooves that sound more realistic for a funk thing, like the claps of the percussion sounds.
          I have yet to use my new sound set up live yet, I will but it's a pain to unload all the yamahas and get the v's ready, then reverse for the next night.
          I guess the biggest complaint was the snare, too machine gunny for most guys.
          I really want it to work so if anyone can offer some advice....pluleeze....
          I have used the fabled search..... I need fresh ideas.
          Thanks,
          Jeff

------------------
          td 8,
          pintech pads,gibraltor rack JBL G2 EON 15 AND Mackie srs-1500, yamaha maple customs, remo jazz kit, buttloads of cymbals...
          The original Gig Pig.

Comment

Originally posted by acidbran:

I guess the biggest complaint was the snare, too machine gunny for most guys.
            Interesting that you would mention this, because I find that the snare, specifically the V-snare group, responds the most realistically compared to acoustic instruments. Machine-gunning isn't an issue. I would think the toms, lacking positional sensing, would cause more complaints.

The only quibble I have with the V-snares is that they come with too much resonant "shell" sound. When I try to address this by adding muffling through V-edit, I lose the nice "feel" I had before. It's a trade-off of sorts, although other combinations of settings (mixer levels, ambient send, EQ, et. al.) might give me what I want.

Comment

Originally posted by K-Chuck:
              The only quibble I have with the V-snares is that they come with too much resonant "shell" sound.
              I love this sound. I often shoot for no muffling and loose snares. Different strokes for ...
              Kit Pic 1 Kit Pic 2 Kit Pic 3... And FOR SALE I have: 3 PD-9's, MDS-10 purple rack w/cables/pad and cym mounts. See classified posts for details or PM me.

Comment

The only quibble I have with the V-snares is that they come with too much resonant "shell" sound. When I try to address this by adding muffling through V-edit, I lose the nice "feel" I had before.
                Yes, this is the only problem I have with my V's. I would like to be able to produce a really great Rock (with a capital R) snare using the V-snare sounds, but they invariably either sound boingy (not Boingo) and open (not very Rock) or, if doughnuts are used, flat and lifeless. I've tried various combinations but I can't find a V-snare with that 'crack'. Any suggestions, rockers? Note: TD-8.

(Almost) all comments gratefully received

Schmunk

------------------
                TD-8, Pintech pads, Pearl rack, PM-3, Behringer 802 mixer and DSP1400 UltraMizer
                TD-8, Pintech pads, Pearl rack, Mackie SRM-450, Behringer 802 mixer and DSP1400 UltraMizer, Electric Sticks.

Comment

On the td-10 (yeah, I saw the ref to the td-8) I use snare 90, brass, raise sensitivity, up the high end eq and compression a bit, use tape 1 muffle and med strainer. I use 2 sets of v-pro's. 1 with a Peavey KB/A 300 and 1 with a Roland KC-500. The KC-500 has a bit more crack for that kit. I don't think I'd buy a KC-500 for overall performance though. I'm sure the rest of the settings make a difference too, but the first time I used that kit in public I got comments on the snare cutting through. FWIW for td-10 owners.

Funny thing is I'd swear there's a difference in sound between the two TD-10's (in addition to the amps). There was ~ an 8 month difference between the purchase of the two. Wonder if anyone else has picked up this difference between units?
                  Kit Pic 1 Kit Pic 2 Kit Pic 3... And FOR SALE I have: 3 PD-9's, MDS-10 purple rack w/cables/pad and cym mounts. See classified posts for details or PM me.

Comment

I am no rocker but I can get a good ‘crack’ out of my snare…but then again I do use more outboard gear to get that ‘crack’ and this probably does not help but you, but you did ask if anyone can come up with the sounds.

Focusrite Compounder http://www.focusrite.com/products/platinum/p3.html + BBE = Snare with a ‘crack’ (not on all snares, but on the ones that have some crack to them to begin with).
                    Studio

Comment

Working...
                    X