Announcement

Collapse

Lounge Posting Guidelines

E-DRUMMING DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST PRODUCT OR TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

use PD120 with TD5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• use PD120 with TD5

newbie here.
    I bought a close-out deal on a Roland Trap Kit (with TD5 module) and I really like the feel of the PD120. I'm not looking for anything but basic sounds so I can use this kit for practice. Will I have much problem using a PD120 with the TD5?
    Many Thanks!
    Rudy

It should work as Roland had a photo in an older catalog showing it as an upgrade.

Comment

The PD-120 will "kind of" work with the TD-5 brain. I have both.
      Roland's web site shows the PD-120 as a compatible add-on for the TD-5. Don't believe it.
      After not being able to get the rim trigger to work, I called Roland technical support (they never accept responsibility for poor product design or documention, by the way; very arrogant people to deal with).
      Tech Support said that the TD-5 is unable to sense the rim trigger. While they could not exactly explain why (imagine that from Tech Support!), other posts indicate that this has to do with the PD-120 having dual piezo trigger elements, while the TD-5, et al were designed to use a single piezo/switch combination.
      Even the TD-8 or TD-10 cannot sense the rim piezo in the PD-120 except in the "snare" input.
      The long and short of it is that I really like the PD-120 with the TD-5, because of the feel; but I already had a PD-120 from my V-Pro set.
      I might suggest as an alternative, the Pintech Concertcast with the (woven) Silentech heads (around $100). You should get a similar feel to the PD-120, without the hefty $300 price tag.

Comment

Working...
      X