Announcement

Collapse

Lounge Posting Guidelines

E-DRUMMING DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST PRODUCT OR TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

VisuLite - Too Loud... Hart Dynamics?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VisuLite - Too Loud... Hart Dynamics?

I purchased a Visu-Lite splash cymbal about a year ago, and finally used it at a gig recently. It has about 1/4 of it covered by a thin rubber stuck to the top of the cymbal, which is typical apparently for these cymbals.

From my drum monitor, everything sounded fine. But, when looking at the video taken at this gig (with sound through the board - the video was professionally produced), every time I hear the splash I also hear a REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY loud >clack<. I usually play with hot rods, since I play some accoustic cymbals along with the electronics in smaller venues (about 60-100 people). But, since this was a relatively large gig (about 1500 people in attendance) I used regular sticks. Due to this loud CLACK, I have thrown the Visu-Lite cymbal into the garbage pile. I just can't deal with this. People I knew asked me what that loud noise was. Man, that's nuts.

Anyone else not willing to put up with the extra noise of a visu-lite?

I am considering Hart Dynamics cymbals (the realistic looking ones) - do they make the same noise levels? Do I really have to buy the Roland V-Cymbals to get a truly quite e-cymbal with sticks?

NONE of the demos for these products actually have audience-level recordings, they are all recording the triggered sample. I want to hear realistic room accoustics with these things and sticks. Auugh.

Thanks!

- Hans
    - Hans

By the looks of the material used in making the Visu-Liteís look like they would be loud on impact (although I have not tried them).

The Hartís are not that loud and they do not make a loud crack when struck. They do make some noise up impact but not that much that you would have people mention that they heard something. I have used mine in front of 50 to 10,000 people and never has the subject come up. They are not that noticeable on stage as well. With Aquarian springs the cymbals work very perfectly to absorb the impact quite well and lessen the derived sound from the sticks, even heavy ones.

I hit my cymbals with the shoulder portion of my sticks at times and that makes hardly any sound at all. I have asked my band mates about that issue and they say that the cymbals are very quite while on stage and they donít hear them unless we are set up very close to each other on stage, and even then the results are minimum.

My .02 cents.

Good luck

------------------
    szvook
    Studio

Comment

Originally posted by hmasing:

Due to this loud CLACK, I have thrown the Visu-Lite cymbal into the garbage pile. I just can't deal with this.

- Hans
      Well, if you are not willing, I might be. If you want to get rid of it, let me know.
      Jason

:rolleyes:

Comment

have two visulites and...they are designed to be hit with the tip of the stick. If you hit them with a mighty blow like a normal 18"Zildjian Crash would require to sound nice, then you must adjust your hitting style. I have learned this by experience. These Visulites are excellent IMHO.

Comment

I'm not exactly thrilled with the volume of my China, but I'll live with it. However, the rubber seems to come off pretty easily. Mine was peeling off when I got it! Maybe we could track down a thicker, softer rubber that would work. Any suggestions one where to start?

------------------
          Drooling Dog
          - Scott

Comment

Get a CY-6 for a splash it is quiet and small. I have a Visu-Lite China and am happy with it it is a little loud so I am thinking of adding another layer of rubber to cut down the sound. The sound you were getting is probably from the vocal mics picking up the sound of the hit, if they recorded straight of the board. I doubt that the audience heard anything unless your band plays really realy quiet.

------------------
            Ted H.
            www.tocsinrocks.com
            Ted H.

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Drooling Dog:
              Maybe we could track down a thicker, softer rubber that would work. Any suggestions one where to start?

I'd suggest trying "Sound Off" pads as a softer rubber alternative. They make them for cymbal and drum dampening applications... and they are very inexpensive. Buy one like for a large drum, cut-out whatever shape/size you want and glue it on. A spray-on adhesive would work real nicely for this.

Comment

Hart EcymbalII Demo...

While creating my newest video on my website, I used a two-step process wherein I recorded the video with the camcorder and the audio with the laptop. Then in 'post production' I married the two together.

But the audio that was captured by the camcorder was just raw pad noise... and it occurred to me: here's an example of what the Hart cymbals sound like!

I submit that they aren't louder than some others... but the sound is quite different. More like a 'thud'. Really funny to watch too! The EcymbalII's look like brass cymbals and you expect a brass cymbal sound. Instead you hear...

The Video
                My website...
                VCustom kit,
                TD8 + Aphex Impulse,
                HDI Cymbals.
                A great site: eDrumming.com

Comment

Thwak solution

I have 3 Visulite crashs and a china, and the noise was driving me crazy too, especially when the band played in a quieter environment. I started playing softer and adjusted the sensitivity to match, but when you wanted to cut loose, well, you couldn't.

Somewhere I read some one used mouse pads on the surface to deaden the noise. I took one of my cymbals and taped a thick (between 1/8" to 1/4" thick) mouse pad to it and hit it. The sound was much better, but the playability was messed up because the mouse pad hung over the edge.

Next, I cut the mouse pad to match the black rubber on top of the cymbal, and using black silicone, glued the mouse pad to the cymbal, and put a think bead around the edge. Bingo, it did what I was looking for. I can now strike the cymbal normally, on the edge, and don't get that thwak.

The down side is the extra weight causes the cymbal to tilt more, but I simply adjusted the holder to compensate.

I have the blue cymbals which look real cool with the blue roland kit, but if I had it to do over again, I think I would choose a different manufacturer. You should not have to modify something that drastically.

Hope this helps,

Joe
                  V-Concert, Visu-Lite Cymbals, BBE 482's, Behringer Multicom, Alesis D5

Comment

Re: Hart EcymbalII Demo...

Originally posted by Ranman
                    While creating my newest video on my website, I used a two-step process wherein I recorded the video with the camcorder and the audio with the laptop. Then in 'post production' I married the two together.

But the audio that was captured by the camcorder was just raw pad noise... and it occurred to me: here's an example of what the Hart cymbals sound like!

I submit that they aren't louder than some others... but the sound is quite different. More like a 'thud'. Really funny to watch too! The EcymbalII's look like brass cymbals and you expect a brass cymbal sound. Instead you hear...

The Video
                    LOL! Thwickity, Thwackity, Thwickity, Thwackity, Thwickity, Thwackity! Pop!

Those E-Cymbals don't seem to make any more noise than the rest of the kit. Just a slightly higher pitch. I think you may have sold another set of cymbals for Hart. Just gotta convince the wife.

(Honey, wouldn't you rather hear this kind of thwak while I'm playing?)

$pace @ce
                    $pace @ce

Comment

Originally posted by bjb5150
                      I remember carrying in drums and the guitar players already tuned and ready to go.... Not that he would ever use that time to help a brother out mind you... Not that I'm bitter
                      I know what you mean. You are usually the last to get all your stuff in the door, much less get it set up... and then you are having to beg for space on the stage!

"Hey, dude. Could that cabinet move over about 5 inches? Please? I need to put my tom... No? Well, but, I mean..."

And then they get ticked off when you boot their stinking cabinet off the front of the stage.

On the cymbal issue - I would say if you hear any pads - turn it up!
                      My website...
                      VCustom kit,
                      TD8 + Aphex Impulse,
                      HDI Cymbals.
                      A great site: eDrumming.com

Comment

Re: VisuLite - Too Loud... Hart Dynamics?

Originally posted by hmasing

I am considering Hart Dynamics cymbals (the realistic looking ones) - do they make the same noise levels? Do I really have to buy the Roland V-Cymbals to get a truly quite e-cymbal with sticks?
                        - Hans

The Harts (except for the rubber covered ride) seemed awfully loud to me when I tried them, like thwacking a frisbee. I don't have any experience with them live (as svook does) but that's my 2 cents. Maybe svook's band plays really, really LOUD (and maybe his band's gear is all electronic and so they don't have any on stage mics to pick up the acoustic sounds of the ecymbals). I could definitely imagine the Harts causing a problem at a smaller gig. I think a Cy-6 is your best bet for a splash application. It's not silent but it's a heck of a lot quieter than hitting a frisbee.

Darren

Comment

Re: Re: VisuLite - Too Loud... Hart Dynamics?

Originally posted by darrenmc
                          Maybe svook's band plays really, really LOUD
                          Yup.

and maybe his band's gear is all electronic and so they don't have any on stage mics to pick up the acoustic sounds of the ecymbals.
                          Yup.

I could definitely imagine the Harts causing a problem at a smaller gig.
                          In smaller clubs/venues I would turn up my drums louder (especially the cymbals) and raise the pads/cymbals sensitivity a bit, then use lighter stick to minimize the contact noise. Never had anyone notice the stick noise and I never had the rubber on the hats or ride to begin with, got mine a long time ago.
                          Studio

Comment

Working...
                          X