Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

TD-10 Quantize... Huh?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TD-10 Quantize... Huh?!

I'm brand new to sequencing. I tried to lay down some drum tracks with quantize on. I had it set to quantize to the nearest 16th note, and played only 16th notes. It wasn't even close. Now I know I'm not THE greatest drummer in the world, and not perfectly accurate with every single hit, but this was ridiculous. A first-year grade school band student wouldn't have been this far off. I was definitely doing something wrong on the technology end.

Any idea what I could be doing wrong?

Thanks.

------------------
    Drooling Dog
    - Scott

I take it you are recording with the use of the click?

Don't set the click to straight quarter-notes. Set it to click to either eighths or sixteenths. The closer you subdivide the click to your quantize value, the more accurate methinks you will be.
    "I do what I like, and I like what I do."

Comment

Thanks Electrode! I'm going to again this afternoon. I was clicking to quarters. I'll set it to 16ths and hope for the best.

------------------
      Drooling Dog
      - Scott

Comment

Also if you do a lot of drags, ruffs, rolls and flams at high speeds and need the track quantized, don't quantize to 16th notes.

Either 32nd notes (good) or 64th notes (even better) should be used.

I recorded a straight 8-beat pattern with a fill every 4th bar, and the pattern was quantized at 16th notes. I used tom ruffs, rolls and snare drags and flams for the fills, and naturally, the pattern ended up messy. None of the rolls came out right at all.

I recorded the same pattern at 32nd notes and it was better, but there were still some timing discrepancies. I did it yet again, quantized to 64th notes, and it sounded perfectly in time.

I recorded the pattern using the click set at an interval of 1/8.

Comment

Thanks Electrode. Your solution worked perfectly for me yesterday. I actually ended up playing it safe and eliminated the few grace notes that existed. But I'll be doing some more recording this weekend, and will definitely keep this new info in mind.

------------------
          Drooling Dog
          - Scott

Comment

No problem. I like to help people.

Comment

Working...
            X