Announcement

Collapse

Lounge Posting Guidelines

E-DRUMMING DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST PRODUCT OR TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

Religion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Religion

So I'm reading the "another monster drumkit" post which started out as someone asking us to check out his drumkit, and has segued into becoming dangerously close to a full-blown argument.

So I wonder, why is it that one of you tools always has to say something that straddles the line of offensive to some religion, and then some big discussion/argument ensues with everyone getting riled up.

You know what?
    I don't care what religion any of you are.

I don't care what you believe.

I don't worship the same god as you, anymore than I eat the same breakfast cereal as you.

Why post messages on this board that are only meant to mildly agitate others so you all can tacitly imply that your religion is better than everyone else's?

That your religion is "right."

It's dumb.

Why have religion?

So here, in this board, where we have literally hundreds of people that all exist,
    and laugh with each other,
    and joke,
    and share a mutual interest,
    and nourish each other with knowledge,
    and even make friendships with people that extend outside of this board...

and most importantly -

we all get along.

better than I do with most people I work with.

and then one of you dumb *****es with your holier-than-thou godspeak starts this bullsh|t, and everyone has to follow like sheep with their
    "well, I'm this, and I believe this, and I'm a wiccan, and don't piss on my religion, and christianity means this, and you're ignorant if you think that...."

and it's one big, sh|tty mess.

So all your religions, all your beliefs, all your gods, all your talk - you can all dump it into one big pile and set it on fire.

All Religion does is cause fighting.

It causes it here in this small discussion board, it causes it in countries that have been fighting and killing each other for thousands of years because one half doesn't believe the same thing the other half does.

Tell me religion is about love and then quarrel with each other about it.

Tell me that it's about something deep and personal, and spew your beliefs all over this thread.

And for what?

So you all can feel like you have someplace better to go to after this is all done?

So you can believe that there's something "else" because you're too scared to face the possibility that this life might be all we get?

So you can have a predetermined set of rules to live your life by, because you couldn't figure out an appropriate set of actions towards your fellow human beings by yourself?

You're all smarter than that (except that "Music Retailer" guy).

Go play drums. And play them fast.

BINARY

Binary- You just did what you are asking everyone not to do. You started a topic and drew a bunch of attention to it. You want to avoid religous talk and you start a brand new thread telling us so. This thread you just started will no doubt turn into a religous thread. I have always agreed with most everything you say. You say that you want to stay away from religous talk...well then do it. I thought the same thing when the Bush vs. Gore thread was going....so I did not contribute. You not only do not want to read about it, but you started another thread talking about how you do not want to read about it. Why feed the issue??
    Roland V-Pro TD20 expanded with V Expressions
    Presonus Firepod
    Reaper
    Acoustic- Spaun drums, Dunnett snare & Paiste Signature Series Cymbals.

Comment

Dog weeill hunt!!!

------------------
      szvook
      Studio

Comment

I was reading this religion post, right, and then some mug started telling me about his darn V-drums..........

Comment

Same as Steve.
          Why start a thread that you don't want to read about elsewhere?
          This is a Drum Forum remember!!

What you are OTHER than a drummer is irrelevant here.........
          www.royfulton.co.uk, www.zendrum.com ,Tempus Drums, Istanbul Agop, Regal Tip, Alesis DMPro, D4,Garageband, HK Powerworks PA

Comment

Spiked hair with drums to match, and a stand-up bass....very cool.

[This message has been edited by sepdrums (edited July 11, 2001).]

Comment

He not only started a new thread...he ranted relentlessly about it...geeezzz
              Roland V-Pro TD20 expanded with V Expressions
              Presonus Firepod
              Reaper
              Acoustic- Spaun drums, Dunnett snare & Paiste Signature Series Cymbals.

Comment

Why?
                Because it happens all the time, and my genuine hope was that maybe people might agree that although (as you all know already) I'm the last person who would ever try and stop someone from talking about anything they wanted, discussions on this particular topic never end in anything but arguments and misunderstandings.

It's not at all that I don't want to read about it, I'm not that closed-minded, I just don't think there should be unrest when it's talked about.
                I'm also genuinely interested in why, when people talk about religion, it's not more of a vibe like

"hey, you're a (insert religion here)? Great. I'm glad that's working out for you..."

Instead of the terse confrontational tone everyone seems to get when it's "discussed."

I've never really fully understood religion, and understand it much less when people seem to get so hateful about it.

Everyone here that I talk to are good, intelligent people, many of whom have helped me out countless times, and I think and hope I've done the same for others. I would never turn on those people based on which religion they selected or were raised to believe in. I guess I just don't understand why some people here are poised and ready to get angry about it so quickly.

So hey, Svook.....what does what you wrote mean...?

BINARY

Comment

Originally posted by BINARY:

I don't worship the same god as you, anymore than I eat the same breakfast cereal as you.

I like captain crunch, and every once and a while I will have a bowl of fruity pebbles, but I usually don't tell anyone about it.

Kurt

Kurt

Pearl drums converted with hart adc, roland kd7's, pd 120 for snare, various roland rubber pads, hart e cymbals and pads, td8, td6, 2 mackie srm450s and mackie sub. mackie sr 24-4 mixer........and always growing.

Comment

Man, whats wrong with you? Don't you know that Shreaded Wheat is the best? Anyone who doesn't like it can kiss my a$$....

Comment

Oh man... look. Binary, it's all well and good you saying that you don't care and stuff, but you've obviously shown that you do, otherwise you wouldn't have started this whole new religious thread up.

So what if we got a bit carried away with that "Monster V-drum kit" thread thing? We've all cooled off now and taken out our tension on our V-drums.

Look. I assume here we're all reasonable people, right? So, I reasonably suggest that we close the book on the whole religion thing, not getting our knickers in a twist about who or what does what for whom, and get back to hitting mesh heads and talking about what really got us all here, as friends and neighbours in a tightly knit community... V-drums!!

(OK. That was just a little corny. But if it works, then who's complaining?)

And don't you ddrum people come here and try and break us all apart. IT WON'T WORK. We're too mature for that. Now.
                      "I do what I like, and I like what I do."

Comment

Oh, and just for the record, I eat Weetabix Monday-Friday, Corn Flakes or 2 slices of orange marmalade on toast on weekends.

Not that it matters, of course...

Comment

DON'T START, SEPDRUMS.
                          It's not big and it's not clever.

[This message has been edited by Electrode (edited July 11, 2001).]

Comment

BINARY,

Thanks for pointing out the thread. It was a lot of fun to read. Thinking it was just about drum pics, I stopped opening it after the first "Amway" comment. Now it's my favorite thread!

------------------
                            Drooling Dog
                            - Scott

Comment

Originally posted by sepdrums:
                              Man, whats wrong with you? Don't you know that Shreaded Wheat is the best? Anyone who doesn't like it can kiss my a$$....

LOL
                              Kurt

Pearl drums converted with hart adc, roland kd7's, pd 120 for snare, various roland rubber pads, hart e cymbals and pads, td8, td6, 2 mackie srm450s and mackie sub. mackie sr 24-4 mixer........and always growing.

Comment

Working...
                              X