Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

white spots on kd-120 impact spot?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• white spots on kd-120 impact spot?

I've got these two white spots on the impact point of my kick pedal. I am wondering if this is something common? It might just be pieces of the mallet head. I have an Iron-cobra, they have somewhat fuzzy beaters. Just wanted to know if anyone else ran into this problem. Thanks again.
    V-Session

Originally hosted by scratchcat:
    Just wanted to know if anyone else ran into this problem.
    Is it a problem?
    Music was my first love...

Comment

Yup had the same thing happening. It's just the beaters wearing down and leaving "beater bits" between the head and the strike pad behind the pad. I don't think it really causes much problems but what I ended up getting was wood beaters that they sell for the Iron-Cobra. They seem to work just great with no problems. YAMMV though.

Brian Kidd

Comment

When I bought my KD-120 I was told never use a felt beater of any kind on it because "it will shave it down". They did not say this would be a functional problem though.

Comment

I have the same thing with my Concert Cast Kick, I thought it was just the mesh material getting mashed.

[This message has been edited by jrcel (edited July 02, 2001).]
          Drumkat Turbo 4.5, Emulator X3, Superior 2.1, Roland Fantom XR, DTXtreme III, SPD-20 etc.......

Comment

Thanks for the response gents!

It is not a performance problem, but if it is going to be a problem I want to take care of it now. I don't like the idea of coating a $400 trigger with felt bits. I think I'll switch to wood.

Any suggestions on a good wood beater for an Iron Cobra double?

Hey CaptKidd what does "YAMMV" stand for?

V-Session

Comment

The problem will be from using the wood or rubber or plastic beaters without any reinforcement to the heads. Larger felt beaters have a tendency to leave bits of material and that seems to happen with Roland and Pintech mesh heads.

Who ever said not to use felt beaters, needs to have their edrums knowledge brushed up.
              Without any reinforcement to the heads, the triggers will be affected and then your functionality will suffer.

Small and tight felt beaters are the way to go, but also the head type (manufacturer) will play a factor.

------------------
              szvook
              Studio

Comment

Fair enough Svook,

Do YOU have any suggestions for a nice set of beaters for my iron-cobra double? What do you use? (assuming you have a KD-120) All suggestions ARE greatly appreciated.
                V-Session

Comment

Originally posted by scratchcat:
                  Fair enough Svook,

Do YOU have any suggestions for a nice set of beaters for my iron-cobra double? What do you use? (assuming you have a KD-120) All suggestions ARE greatly appreciated.
                  I use the Yamaha DFP880 pedal that uses a small felt beater. http://www.yamahadrums.com/hardware/hardware.html
                  Studio

Comment

So you do use felt? Do the Hart mesh pads let the felt into the head? Are you using them on a Roland pad? Or is it a Hart head on a Hart pad?

Thanks.
                    V-Session

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by scratchcat:
                      [B]"So you do use felt?" - YES

"Do the Hart mesh pads let the felt into the head?" - NO

"Are you using them on a Roland pad?" - NO

"Or is it a Hart head on a Hart pad?" - YES

------------------
                      szvook
                      Studio

Comment

Muchas Gracias mi amigo!
                        V-Session

Comment

Hey Scratchcat, as you can see you do get a variety of opinions on what works and what doesn't. As the consensus shows though there probably isn't going to be a huge adverse affect on the functionality of the trigger by sticking with the felt beaters (again Roland recommends not using felt beaters) but you will need to replace them from time to time. Tama actually sells wood beaters in the same shape as their felt ones with the adjustable angle and all, that's what I am using. As far as the advise not using wood or plastic because it may damage the head without reinforcement may have merit if you are a real hard kicker but with the Roland trigger (KD-120, don't know what you are using) it has a pad behind the head so again if you don't have a heavy foot it shouldn't be a problem. BTW, "YAMMV" = Your Actual Mileage May Vary .

Comment

Thanks all, thank you Capt. your help has been appreciated. I think I am going to order the wood beaters from TAMA. Have a great 4th.
                            V-Session

Comment

3 Things:

1) A plastic beater came with my KD-120, and is recomended for use by Roland in the manual.

2) The head on the KD-120 is reinforced it is no the same head as a PD-120 head.

3) If you RTFM it goes into detail about where the beater should strike the head for best trigger responce and to insure that you do not go outside the reinforced area.

Comment

Working...
                              X