Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What about us V-custom owners??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What about us V-custom owners??

It seems most of the discussion on this site is geared toward Vdrummers w/ TD10's and V-Pro sets - so what about us V-Custom owners? (C'mon guys - I know you're out there!) I'd like to see more talk about the TD-8 (ie: favorite kits, instrument sounds, applications, etc). Just bought mine about a week ago and loving it. Been browsing through the hardcopy owner's manual and ordered the video manual. So what kind of cool things are you guys doing w/ these sets? Any sequencer/recording tips? Playing along to the preset songs and patterns is the absolute s*&t! So let's hear more from the V-custom contingent!
    Current: TD-30, TD-12 modules/TD-20 pads
    Previous: TD-3, TD-5, TD-8

Originally posted by stikkman:
    It seems most of the discussion on this site is geared toward Vdrummers w/ TD10's and V-Pro sets.
    There's a very good reason for this Stikkman... http://www.vdrums.com/discussion/For...ML/000049.html

(he, he, he - just couldn't pass up the opportunity)
    Kit Pic 1 Kit Pic 2 Kit Pic 3... And FOR SALE I have: 3 PD-9's, MDS-10 purple rack w/cables/pad and cym mounts. See classified posts for details or PM me.

Comment

I personally like my TD-8 much better that the TD-10 and I tried both of them before I made my decision. I personally was going for the sounds more than any thing else, I have my external components to do the rest of my tweaking to the sounds – EQ, compression, effects, sound boost/enhancement, etc. So to me the TD-10 was too much $ to spend for what I would not use at all (and still don’t use with my TD-8). My set up includes the Hart products, which IMHO work better that the Roland line of pads/cymbals hands down.

I do not and would not use any of the preset kits or sounds within the TD-8, it’s all custom made by me to work with my music.

My TD-8 & Hart set up has been put to the challenge recently against other edrum systems including the Yamaha and the TD-10 V-Pro sets – NO CONTEST, I got people begging to help them to get their set ups to sound like mine.

So for me, the TD-8 is my choice

------------------
      szvook
      Studio

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by szvook:
        [B]I personally like my TD-8 much better that the TD-10 and I tried both of them before I made my decision.
        My TD-8 & Hart set up has been put to the challenge recently against other edrum systems including the Yamaha and the TD-10 V-Pro sets – NO CONTEST, I got people begging to help them to get their set ups to sound like mine.

So for me, the TD-8 is my choice

That's exactly what I was hoping to hear, szvook! Care to expound on your kit customizations? Do you have a preference as to the "canned" kits that's easiest to tweak? What tonal parameters do you focus on? Can you recommend instrument #'s for snare, kick, toms, etc?

thanks!

Stikkman

Current: TD-30, TD-12 modules/TD-20 pads
        Previous: TD-3, TD-5, TD-8

Comment

Stikkman,

My kits are customized to my music - techno. However, when I got my TD-8 and I wanted to create sounds to my liking, so I just put on a CD to listen to and started to recreate the sounds I heard. I put on a rock CD, jazz, metal, punk, what have you and started to emulate the sounds from the CD’s. I was not trying to recreate the exact sounds I heard, rather tying to come as close to them as possible. From that point on my sound selection was ran through my signal processors dry, then I used the on board perimeters to enhance the tone for the sound a bit further – tuning the sounds from the pitch, decay, V-edit and such. That did not include the onboard EQ or the studio environment(s) that are available.

My results will very for yours if you are not using any signal processors at all. That is my secret weapon of choice and with them I recreate most sounds that I hear where other people get stuck in trying to come with sounds that they would like to recreate. With my signal processors, I can create dynamics that are much higher and broader them most think is possible and because of that I can get sounds that people can’t.

So there is no perfect way to come with sounds, it is all based on what you are after. My perimeters will not be the same as yours. So just sit down in front of your set, put on some music and get o know your module and then you will be able to see what you have to work with.

------------------
          szvook
          Studio

Comment

Hey szvook,

Talk to me about the TD8 vs Yamaha
            "challenge"
            I assume it was the TD8 vs the Xtreme module.
            I've given thought at different times about
            purchasing either of these units.
            What did you like/not like about the two?
            I'm particularly interested in your criticisms of the Xtreme.

Comment

Couldn't spring for the TD-10 Huh?

Comment

Originally posted by szvook:
                just sit down in front of your set, put on some music and get to know your module
                Words of wisdom . . . we should all listen to what svook says here. Very true.
                Andy
                TD-20, Pair of JBL-Eon15 G2's & Sub

Check out the demo tracks to hear my V's at

http://www.thebrokenangelband.co.uk/

Comment

Originally posted by Mikster:
                  Hey szvook,

Talk to me about the TD8 vs Yamaha
                  "challenge"
                  I assume it was the TD8 vs the Xtreme module.
                  I've given thought at different times about
                  purchasing either of these units.
                  What did you like/not like about the two?
                  I'm particularly interested in your criticisms of the Xtreme.

OK,

To me the TD-8 has more depth to the sounds it offers – major factor for me. The modules from Roland are a lot easier to use then the Xtreme (although the TD-10 is not a walk through the park either, but never the less easier then the Xtreme). To me that is one of the major factors, I don’t want a module that requires a lot of time just to get around it (which I don’t mind doing at all and have in the past – s-h-i-t !, my Simmons is easier to use and most people get deterred by the Simmons modules), and I want a module that is fairly easy to use so I can get around it quickly and get to play.

The Xtreme just does not sound good to me as far as the module goes. I don’t care for the pads/cymbals from other manufactories either. I think the Xtreme was used to promote the Yamaha line of pads/cymbals more so then the module, which subsequently is not doing well at this time. I have spoken to many sound engineers that had the ‘pleasure’ with the Xtreme and all were not happy with the results from the Xtreme in a professional environment.

------------------
                  szvook

[This message has been edited by szvook (edited July 02, 2001).]
                  Studio

Comment

Originally posted by studioVjeff:
                    Couldn't spring for the TD-10 Huh?
                    Actually........ ...oh never mind.

------------------
                    szvook
                    Studio

Comment

Working...
                    X